Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

points going up from 67 soon-really??

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

jumbo1160 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default points going up from 67 soon-really??

Hi all,

I hear rumours that the pass mark will go up from 67 anytime now.
does anyone have any idea about it?

jb
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:48 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: points going up from 67 soon-really??

Originally Posted by jumbo1160
Hi all,

I hear rumours that the pass mark will go up from 67 anytime now.
does anyone have any idea about it?

jb
No-one does except CIC.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:02 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is well overdue (about 2+ years late already) and it may happen any day, although now with highest priority given to applications with arranged employment and letting applicants without AE to just pay the fee and file simplified form (that won't be looked at for half a decade or well longer) the concept of pass mark changed it's meaning as arranged employment gives so many extra points that almost everyone who can get acceptable AE will qualify. Thus, in order to use pass mark as program management tool as originally designed it would have to go way up, not just few points.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

Does this affect you if you have already handed your application in ?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Does this affect you if you have already handed your application in ?
Potentially yes as it would be back dated to all apps yet to be assessed.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:58 pm

Paul is correct - current law makes any change in pass mark to be applied retroactively to all still pending applications:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec77.html

It was already legally challenged quite few times and every time courts upheld this rule.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Paul is correct - current law makes any change in pass mark to be applied retroactively to all still pending applications:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec77.html

It was already legally challenged quite few times and every time courts upheld this rule.
Thats not good news at all as we only get 67 points.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 1:57 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be time to start learning some French then to try and get a few extra points...
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bazzz
Might be time to start learning some French then to try and get a few extra points...
If they go up quite abit though I think I will need more than just French, maybe a 2 year diploma with new parents living in Canada
Seriously though, I think its pretty unfair to wait for 4 years then be told sorry the points have gone up.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

hejhej is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew, I had my medicals back in March and am just waiting for my security checks to complete and then get the PPR. Surely my points have already been assessed for the medicals to have been requested. Do they re-assess the points total after the security checks and before the PPR? I have exactly 67 points - if the points change before I recieve my PPR would I then fail?
Thanks
Harvey
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hejhej
Andrew, I had my medicals back in March and am just waiting for my security checks to complete and then get the PPR. Surely my points have already been assessed for the medicals to have been requested. Do they re-assess the points total after the security checks and before the PPR? I have exactly 67 points - if the points change before I recieve my PPR would I then fail?
Thanks
Harvey
Would it be likely to change back to 70 points - which was the required amount before it was changed to 67?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Arris
Would it be likely to change back to 70 points - which was the required amount before it was changed to 67?
Could have sworn it used to be 75 not 70.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:02 pm

It is not a news - it exists in the law since 2002. And since 2002 pass mark was 75 points and CIC was receiving enough qualified applicants to meet Canadian immigration targets - but then, in September 2003, the previous government in an attempt to get more votes and remain in power among other things reduced pass mark to current, totally absurd 67 points, creating 1.5 million backlog impossible to manage as with 67 points pass mark more people qualify to apply than it was under previous law blamed for 400K backlog.

And this is why for years now I always recommend to everyone - get arranged employment no matter what. And if you have less than 75 points then finding arranged employment is a must.

Why would anyone not try to get arranged employment anyway? Government is not waiting at the border to hand out jobs to new immigrants. If every new immigrant won't get job pre-arranged then we'll read more stories about PhD's delivering pizzas.

Get a job in Canada and stop worrying about pass mark.

Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Could have sworn it used to be 75 not 70.
Might have been, I referred to my 'Living & Working in Canada - A Survival Handbook' - book by Janet MacDonald (reprinted 2001).

Perhaps somebody could verify please
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:05 pm

Legally CIC has all the right to to reject your application if pass mark goes above what you have before your visa is to be issued. But it is highly unlikely to happen in cases that are already assessed and received positive selection decision.

Originally Posted by hejhej
Thanks
Harvey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.