Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

points going up from 67 soon-really??

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: points going up from 67 soon-really??

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the target immigration level is 1% of the general population, of which a percentage will be skilled worker visas. The 'simple' thing to do would be to set the skilled worker points at the level required so that applications match this value - Having more applications than visas doesn't really help anyone.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the target immigration level is 1% of the general population, of which a percentage will be skilled worker visas. The 'simple' thing to do would be to set the skilled worker points at the level required so that applications match this value - Having more applications than visas doesn't really help anyone.
Absolutely. I think what has irritated a lot of people is how long it seems to take the CIC to react and adapt its policies - it's so lethargic compared to other governments which have adapted their policies much more efficiently to meet the changing immigration environment.

I read through a transcript of an Australian senatorial committee on immigration and they were talking about how they had to adapt their policies to ensure they didn't lose potential immigrants to Canada. The feeling the CIC gives out is one of "don't give a sh&t" how long you have to wait. It's no wonder so many talkboards and forums are full of complaints about them. They need to sharpen up.

I add in edit: the usual response to this point is that Canada is getting what it wants from immigrants and that's the end of it, but to this I would say that first of all it is not true: certain provinces cannot fill jobs, and second, should there not be some attempt to treat immigrants ethically before they arrive as well as after they arrive? Canada makes a big song and dance about how it is the "ethical" PC-driven nation, but its treatment if immigrants, at least pre-arrival shows a different story.

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 25th 2007 at 8:59 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi!

I understand what you are saying, but surely raising the points slightly won't necessary decline the majority in those boarder-line positions. As there are other ways to raise your points if you are serious about it. i.e taking up a foreign language or securing a job position etc,etc. Possible early medicals will help lower the waiting times? What about employing more people to deal with the case loads, (they could hire me ).

I dunno (don't know)

Now don't get too technical about it, I'm not as intelligent as you!! I'm one of those.............people!

angela x
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:01 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Possible early medicals will help lower the waiting times?
No, it won't change anything. Medicals don't add any delays and are valid only for max of 12 months. PR visas are valid up to the expiration of medicals (or shorter if passport expires sooner).

What about employing more people to deal with the case loads, (they could hire me ).
It is not about resources. It is all about demand (number of applicants) exceeding supply (available visa quotas) by about 10 fold.

Canada will only issue every year about 145,000 visas in all economic classes (including SW) as we have annual quotas. Quota will go up within next 3-5 years by about maybe 5% to 7% in total, so it won't change anything. And all visa posts meet their annual targets well before December each year anyway, many by late September or early October. Thus adding resources won't help as number of available visas will not change.

System now has about 1.2 to 1.5 million applications in economic classes in the queue. Average application has 2.2 people in it. Average refusal rate is 50%. So, let's say 1.35 million applications x 2.2 people = ~3 million x 50% refusal rate = 1.5 million visas to be issued versus 145,000 annual number of available visas.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, it won't change anything. Medicals don't add any delays and are valid only for max of 12 months. PR visas are valid up to the expiration of medicals (or shorter if passport expires sooner).

It is not about resources. It is all about demand (number of applicants) exceeding supply (available visa quotas) by about 10 fold.

Canada will only issue every year about 145,000 visas in all economic classes (including SW) as we have annual quotas. Quota will go up within next 3-5 years by about maybe 5% to 7% in total, so it won't change anything. And all visa posts meet their annual targets well before December each year anyway, many by late September or early October. Thus adding resources won't help as number of available visas will not change.

System now has about 1.2 to 1.5 million applications in economic classes in the queue. Average application has 2.2 people in it. Average refusal rate is 50%. So, let's say 1.35 million applications x 2.2 people = ~3 million x 50% refusal rate = 1.5 million visas to be issued versus 145,000 annual number of available visas.
The 50% refusal rate is an interesting statistic. I had no idea it was so high, and I presume the majority of those rejected applied without the approval and expertise of an agent who would have informed them of their low chance of success.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Tableland
The 50% refusal rate is an interesting statistic. I had no idea it was so high, and I presume the majority of those rejected applied without the approval and expertise of an agent who would have informed them of their low chance of success.
The problem of high refusal rate persist for a long time and one would think that CIC openess in posting all rules and manuals online will reduce that rate. But it is not so, as too many after reading few pages on CIC website think that they know all and simply submit inconclusive apllication. Many (if not most) of refused would have been approved if they would have proven in conclusive way all their claims.

Unfortunately application kits don't provide enough info as they simply cannot (they are generic, one size fits all). Reading CIC website and immigration manuals, not even reading this and other forums will answer all unique, case and circumstances specific questions and this is where almost all of refused cases are lost - on inconclusive (or complete lack of) case and circumstances specific evidence.

I am getting about 2-3 per week requests for help from DIY applicants who just got refusal letters. More than half of them are readers of this forum. And believe me - so far all of them were refused because they didn't prove their claims conclusively enough and as a result fell short on points.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 25th 2007 at 10:21 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:26 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I'd be interested to know what this ratio was (for skilled worker visas) when the points were set to 75 a few years ago.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:13 pm

Rate stays at about 50% (plus minus few percentage points) steady for ages, it was same under the old law and is now.

75 points didn't make difference in the rate - simply less people applied once they realized that they cannot reach 75 points. It is not the pass mark or other criteria that affected refusal rate do far as majority who apply assessed their chances as good and only after doing so filed their cases. But sudden jump now to 75 points with selection criteria left as they are will bump rate to maybe 80% or more.

Implementation of IRPA didn't affect the rate as all pre-IRPA applicants were (and still are) assessed under the rules more beneficial to them.

And remember - implementation of IRPA in 2002 was not just points, it is a new set of rules and you simply cannot compare 70 points pass mark under old law to any pass mark under current law as selection criteria are completely different. One think you can take to the bank though - current 67 points pass mark under IRPA'a selection criteria made qualifying for immigration way easier than 70 points (or maybe even 60 points) under the old law. Thanks to 67 points pass mark we have broken system that cannot be managed anymore.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 25th 2007 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi!

Oh! I see. What a sh&t!! Guess I can't get that job then.

Makes me feel like giving up, it obviously feels like a 50:50 chance. Guess it'll be pot luck then on most cases, coz we'll NEVER really know.

Makes me feel even less excited when you say my solicitor needs to be reported to CIC, is he really gonna work in our best interest?

Have to see it as a little adventure in my life even if its only VERY temporary.

Cheers mates!

Angela
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:28 am

Makes me feel like giving up, it obviously feels like a 50:50 chance. Guess it'll be pot luck then on most cases, coz we'll NEVER really know.
The refusal rate may be 50:50, but that doesn't mean any given application has a 50% chance of success - I'm pretty sure they don't role dice. The chance of success is only down to you (and any lawyer you may have used) and the quality of application you put in. So don't give up just yet!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:59 am

I totally agree with Alan - they don't roll the dice, thus it is not about 50/50 chance for approval.

It is all about 50/50 chance for poorly preparing your application and submit inconclusive package.

As you are uasing assistance of an Authorized Immigration Representative you should be OK, providing that your representative is a good one. And as you and we already know your lawyer has made great misrepresentation (if not outright lie) when communicating with you, telling you about "not advertised Discretionary Category" that doesn't exist.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:02 pm
Mr McGoo

Location: Wiltshire, Switzerland, Reading, Snug Cove BC - all in one year!
mrmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I got caught out by the last points threshold increase on my first application.
I applied in January, the points went up on June 28th - my birthday funnily enough - nice present CIC!
I didn't know about this. We got our rejection letter between Christmas and new year - again nice present CIC, thanks!

My opinion is that it's fine for them to raise the bar but not to take your money if you apply on one set of rules and then the criteria changes.

Apart from whining, I do actually have some information to impart that may be useful. The ruling as I understood it was that the increase was applied retrospectively back to applications received from 1st Jan that year (presumably to do with the 2002 act Andrew has mentioned?) maybe because they thought it was unfair to apply it back further?

I didn't use a consultant that time and forums like this were not as useful then. In short, I hadn't prepared well.

Another theme on this thread is about getting a job. I actually have some good contracts in the UK and I can work from home and because UK rates are much higher than Canadian rates, I'd quite like to keep them running, hence I took the long route.
Also I found the IT sector in terms of recruitment just doesn't work the same as the UK. Recruitment companies in Canada either aren't aware of the programmes available to make recruiting IT (or other occupations with shortages) easier or they just weren't interested. It was far too much hassle and who can blame them.

I have my resume posted on Monster Canada and I get around 4 calls a week with suitable contracts/jobs all from UK and European recruiters, none in 12 months from Canada. So I know my skills are in demand but I have come to the conclusion that unless you go out to Canada for a long holiday and do some schmoozing, you will find it very difficult to get a job whilst stuck in the UK.

Apparently the same is true in New Zealand.

Well I hope those insights are useful to someone. I'll go back now to biting my nails while I wait hopefully for a PPR to arrive

PS: Anyone have an idea on timescale from Meds taken to PPR requested and is being asked for meds a definite sign you've been accepted (obviously assuming meds are OK!)?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

harris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: points going up from 67 soon-really??

If the points required do go up, does anyone know if they have ever raised any of the other points they give for - say - family living in Canada. These points appears to show that you have adaptability but if they raise the points to 76 and you only have 74, but have family there (grandmother born there - second cousins everywhere in Canada), you may never get to join up with them under the SW section.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:04 pm
Mr McGoo

Location: Wiltshire, Switzerland, Reading, Snug Cove BC - all in one year!
mrmcgoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the consensus is that if you don't have quite enough points then you will have to get a job offer out there. Not only does that give lots of points on your PR applications but it also opens up the possibility of go going the PNP route which is quicker and easier.

A couple of years ago at the emigrate show in Sandown, I was chatting with a lady on the "Come to Quebec" stand and she made out that the requirements to get to Quebec are much easier and completely seperate from the main Federal process. My french is much better now but then it wasn't but she didn't think it was a major issue. Has anyone explored this route in more detail and if so what are the restrictions? Do you have to stay in Quebec for a period of time?

Cheers
Chris
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrmcgoo
A couple of years ago at the emigrate show in Sandown, I was chatting with a lady on the "Come to Quebec" stand and she made out that the requirements to get to Quebec are much easier and completely seperate from the main Federal process. My french is much better now but then it wasn't but she didn't think it was a major issue. Has anyone explored this route in more detail and if so what are the restrictions? Do you have to stay in Quebec for a period of time?
http://www.immq.gouv.qc.ca

CIC still does the medical and security checking, but otherwise the selection criteria are Quebec specific.

You do need to settle in Quebec, if you move province after doing so (just visiting won't do) then you will not have a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.