Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help...British passport,Canadian citizen

Please help...British passport,Canadian citizen

Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

RD71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help...British passport,Canadian citizen

Hi,

Please could someone help me.I have tried phoning CIC but everything is automated. I am travelling back to the UK for a holiday, my eldest son and myself are PR, my youngest son was born here and so is Canadian. I got my youngest a British passport thinking it would be easier to enter the UK. I didn't think about re-entering Canada,my son and I have the PR cards, will the fact that it says place of birth Montreal in my other sons passport be enough,should I take his birth certificate as well ??? I don't have time to get him a Canadian passport.I'm sure i'm worring over nothing but i would like peace of mind.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help...British passport,Canadian citizen

Originally Posted by RD71
I don't have time to get him a Canadian passport.
SUre you do. They can turn them around pretty quick if needs be.

You will need proof of citizenship for him. Not sure if birth certificate counts on its own.

If you are traveling without their mother you should probably have a letter of consent too.

I think there is more info here...

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/travel_tips/with_child_e.asp
Old Feb 16th 2005, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

I only have a week and i need proof of why he can't travel on the British passport to get an emergency one.

I am sure the birth certificate is proof of citizenship and i am the mother !

Thanks for replying.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:58 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I only have a week and i need proof of why he can't travel on the British passport to get an emergency one.

I am sure the birth certificate is proof of citizenship and i am the mother !

Thanks for replying.
OK. Ill rephrase that. If both parents arent travelling you will maybe need a letter of consent from the other parent

I think that a Canadian birth certificate is proof of citizenship, so he should be able to travel on a UK PP, and get entry back into canada on the strength of the certificate, but if you are worried about it you could use the trip as an excuse to get a canadian passport as an "urgent" case (next day service, for a fee) in person at the regional PP office.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Iain's right - proof of citizenship is either birth certificate, or citizenship card.

I do this the other way round (use Canadian passports to enter the UK for me and my son) and have only once had to explain myself. It's clear, I think, to the immigration officers in the UK airports that although it's a Canadian passport, it says "Place of Birth: Carlisle, UK" so every time I've had an "Indefinite leave to remain in the UK" or the relevant date stamp, no questions asked. Your son's British passport must surely say "Place of birth: Anytown, Canada". I don't even carry our birth certificates, assuming the passport place of birth is enough...but obviously you should if you're worried.

Have a good trip

Biiiiink
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks Biiiiink.

You've put my mind at rest.I'll take the birth certificate but won't show it unless i'm asked.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Biiiiink.

You've put my mind at rest.I'll take the birth certificate but won't show it unless i'm asked.

Thanks again.
There is always the question of whether he will be allowed to board a Canada bound flight. You should check with the airline direct.

Now you have a Canadian son you should make a point of getting Canadian citizenship for yourself and your other son as soon as possible as otherwise there may be problems later on.

Jeremy
Old Feb 19th 2005, 6:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is always the question of whether he will be allowed to board a Canada bound flight. You should check with the airline direct.

Now you have a Canadian son you should make a point of getting Canadian citizenship for yourself and your other son as soon as possible as otherwise there may be problems later on.

Jeremy
As the UK is a visa waiver country, I dont know any airline that will not let a British PP holder board a canada bound flight.