Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

medicals for british born babies with canadian mother?

medicals for british born babies with canadian mother?

Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:17 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default medicals for british born babies with canadian mother?

what the title says, I'm canadian, my baby was born in the uk, and we're moving back to NS in july (hopefully). I've applied for her citizenship papers, but if they don't come through in time, do I need to include her on the family ticket (her dad's english), and does she need a medical?
many thanks, I'm very confused about this - and life in general
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medicals for british born babies with canadian mother?

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
what the title says, I'm canadian, my baby was born in the uk, and we're moving back to NS in july (hopefully). I've applied for her citizenship papers, but if they don't come through in time, do I need to include her on the family ticket (her dad's english), and does she need a medical?
Shes Canadain. Dont include her on the PR application other than as an accompanying dependant. She wont need medicals...as she is canadian.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:55 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks for that
Originally Posted by iaink
Shes Canadain. Dont include her on the PR application other than as an accompanying dependant. She wont need medicals...as she is canadian.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

AnnetteL is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how long ago you applied, or if there's much difference between applying from the US as opposed to the UK, but I sent in for my daughter's citizenship certificate back in July and was just informed on Wednesday that it arrived at the consulate in Detroit. Total time = 7 months

Annette
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you legally married? If the answer is no, you may have to make an application to have the child registered as a British citizen, unless you yourself are British or settled in the UK.

Jeremy
Old Feb 19th 2005, 6:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you legally married? If the answer is no, you may have to make an application to have the child registered as a British citizen, unless you yourself are British or settled in the UK.

Jeremy
Its pretty clear the child is a british citizen as the child was born in the UK and has an English father
A child who was born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 will be a British citizen if either the father (see Note 3) or the mother is a British citizen.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...izenship.html?

There is also no doubt the child is canadian, and therefore does not need any visa or permission to come live in Canada.

You are a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada and:
you were born after February 14, 1977; and
you had a parent who was Canadian at the time of your birth.

Was your parent also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent?
If your Canadian parent was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, (your grandparent), you may need to take steps to keep your citizenship. You need to take these steps before you turn 28 years old. If you do not take these steps, you could lose your Canadian citizenship. This is true even if you are living in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/bornout-info.html
Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its pretty clear the child is a british citizen as the child was born in the UK and has an English father
A child who was born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 will be a British citizen if either the father (see Note 3) or the mother is a British citizen.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...izenship.html?
The problem is that an unmarried father is not considered a 'father' for the purpose of the British Nationality Act. So if they are not married, the child is not British unless the mother is a British citizen or permanent resident.

The Home Office will register the child of an unmarried British father as a British citizen if the child would have been British otherwise, but application is required before the child is 18.

Jeremy