Please help

Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:11 am
Just Joined

vickyq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help

Hi there,

After reading this forum for a number of months now we have finally plucked up the courage to enter in to the discussions.

We are a family of four, our two children are aged 12 and 10 and we are very keen to move to Canada.

The problem is the 3-5 year waiting list, we were hoping to make it across there a lot quicker.

We fall short on the point system by a couple of points. I am a driving instructor and my OH has been working in logistics for the past 4 years after 11 years in the Army.

Although we want to get PR, would it be quicker for us to get TWP then apply for PR? if so how long does this route take?

Do we need to get TWP before we start applying for jobs or the other way around?

Does anyone know of recruitment firms in Canada (Ontario) who deal with UK personnel looking for employment on a TWP.

We are planning a 2/3 week trip in March. A road trip from Toronto to Nova Scotia. Hopefully we will stumble across some fantastic places to possibly relocate, but if there are some places of interest on this route that you know of I would really appreciate the info.

If there are any of you in the same boat who have gone down the TWP route I would like th here your experiences, good our bad.

I know you get these questions all the time so if there are any similar threads you can direct me to it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Vicky and the gang
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:05 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help

Originally Posted by vickyq
After reading this forum for a number of months now we have finally plucked up the courage to enter in to the discussions.
Hi, vickyq. Welcome to de-lurking mode.

Although we want to get PR, would it be quicker for us to get TWP then apply for PR?
If you're successful, yes.

if so how long does this route take?
It varies from a couple of months for people who are in occupations that are in very, very high demand to about a year. Most people who come to Canada on temporary work permits get in in under a year, from the time that the prospective employer submits an application for a Labour Market Opinion to the time that the applicant lands in Canada.

Do we need to get TWP before we start applying for jobs or the other way around?
You need to get a job offer first.

Does anyone know of recruitment firms in Canada (Ontario) who deal with UK personnel looking for employment on a TWP.
I don't know of any.

There are standard recruitment firms, though. But then recruitment firms are not necessarily the most effective tool to use in job hunting (although I certainly would include them in the mix).

I suggest you read the BE Wiki article entitled Finding Job Opportunities.

I know you get these questions all the time so if there are any similar threads you can direct me to it would be greatly appreciated.
The challenge is that, in order to get a work permit, the prospective employer has to get a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). To get that, he/she needs to satisfy Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that he/she has advertised the job across Canada and has been unsuccessful in attracting a qualified Canadian resident to the position.

I don't know that either you or your other half is in an occupation for which Canadian workers cannot be found.

Looking at the provincial lists of Occupations Under Pressure will give you some idea of the sorts of people who are in short supply in various regions of Canada. Read the lists carefully, as the jobs may be called by names that are different from the jobs that you currently occupy (and I'm thinking of your other half in particular when I say this).

I strongly suggest that you read all the BE Wiki articles in the series on Job Hunting in Canada. Absorbing that material and its implications is essential to your job hunt, in my opinion.

Also read the Wiki called Scouting Trip.

Some members of this forum have gained entry to Nova Scotia via the Community Identified Stream. I don't really know what that entails. I suggest that, laborious though it would be, you use the forum's search feature to look for threads that contain the term COMMUNITY IDENTIFIED STREAM.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:18 am
Just Joined

vickyq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help

Thanks Judy,

I will follow all your tips and investigate further.

Many Thanks

Vicky