please answer my question

Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

amante is an unknown quantity at this point
Question please answer my question

I am making the immigration process with my partner. I am wondering,

If she studies at the University and suddenly get the good news of letting her immigrate to canada at the same time, will she have to quit her school then come or can she finish her school first then come here ?

Thanks very much

cheers
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:24 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: please answer my question

PR visa will be valid for 12 months from medicals or for shorter period if passport expires sooner. Immigrant must land in Canada before expiration of visa or it will be gone.

Once landed PR must meet residency obligations - be present in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years period.

Now do the math and figure out the answer.

Originally Posted by amante

I am making the immigration process with my partner. I am wondering,

If she studies at the University and suddenly get the good news of letting her immigrate to canada at the same time, will she have to quit her school then come or can she finish her school first then come here ?

Thanks very much

cheers
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

amante is an unknown quantity at this point

oh i see

that means she will must quit her school or transfer to the UBC or other university of BC then come for PR card, right?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:17 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, she doesn't need to quit and transfer if she can (1) land before her visa expires and (2) meet residency obligations (730 days in Canada within 5 years). You didn't tell us how long her study program is, so any further comments require more details from you first.

Originally Posted by amante
oh i see

that means she will must quit her school or transfer to the UBC or other university of BC then come for PR card, right?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

riten is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

what if a person get his/er PR after 12 months of medical?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:21 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by riten
hi

what if a person get his/er PR after 12 months of medical?
It is my understanding that the visa is given within 12 months after medical and so the applicant must land within that window (from time of PR decision to medical expiry date). If a decision has not been reached within the expiry date of the medicals, the applicant can be asked to do the medical again, although some visa posts like Buffalo can extend the medical for a few months on a case by case basis.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

riten is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ozina,

one more thing i want to know
Suppose PR is being to a person 11 months after his medical. then he has just 30 days to land. So for how long is it necessary for a person to stay in Canada after first landing. Is it possible to go to Canada for 4 -5 days and come back and then arrange properly to shift to Canada?

like if this happens to me in future, my employer 'll never allow me to leave the job without prior notice of 2-3 months(or i ll lose pay of that period).And also i need a time of at least 6 months before getting shifted permanently to Canada.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:25 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by riten
hi ozina,

one more thing i want to know
Suppose PR is being to a person 11 months after his medical. then he has just 30 days to land. So for how long is it necessary for a person to stay in Canada after first landing. Is it possible to go to Canada for 4 -5 days and come back and then arrange properly to shift to Canada?

like if this happens to me in future, my employer 'll never allow me to leave the job without prior notice of 2-3 months(or i ll lose pay of that period).And also i need a time of at least 6 months before getting shifted permanently to Canada.
Riten,

As far as I know (and I am no expert), you can come to Canada for 4-5 days for the landing process and then return to your job in your country and give the appropriate notice to your employer and plan your permanent move etc. So, I think the answer is 'yes' to your question.

The only other thing is that I think you need to provide the Immigration Officers at your port of entry with a Canadian address (so they can mail you your PR card). You can give the address of reliable family members as far as I know.

Ozinca

Last edited by ozinca; Nov 26th 2004 at 5:28 pm.