Personal impressions

Old Jun 19th 2001, 5:08 am
Matthias Pump

Hi everybody, it seems to me that everyone is only intered in hearing about
employment, taxation and immigration process. But what about the personal factor,
what about the time, in which you have to learn to get along with another culture.
Although Canada is a country full of emigrants from other countrys it has its own
culture and someone should think about this.

Can anybody tell about his process of adoptation to Canadian culture? How long will
it take to feel really at home in your new canadian town. I know that this depends on
your personal condition, but there are surely some hints to make this process last
not so long.

It would be very interesting to hear someones personal impression of his
naturalization.

Bye for now,

Matthias

Old Jun 19th 2001, 7:05 am
Faceless Mind

Benny H Quay <[email protected]> wrote

Let me chime in with several remarks:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

What baffled me is that no one is wearing suits in Vancouver on Saturdays' nights.
People just don't bother. It's true: "Take it easy, man."

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, just coming back from British Columbia, one can definitely still enjoy the
wilderness. Brilliant!

>
    >
    >
    >

Coming from a country and region which is vitriolic hatred embodied, Canada is racial
heavens. A real kindergarten.

>
    >
    >
    >

But don't loose your accent!

My host in Vancouver was Irish, and he said that accent is what interests
people most.

Now,a little bit of joking:

In any case, it's hard to loose your accent anyway. Even after 35 years, Italians
still sound like godfathers, Germans still sound, like, "ze unesesary publik
akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted etc.", and East Europeans still sound
like count Drakula embodied.

OK, a little bit of joking doesn't hurt!

>
    >
    >
    >

Good advice!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That same Irish guy introduced me to just about all the members of his family, which
was really great. Yes, friends are most definitely the most important thing when
you're emmigrating.

My additional remarks:

- everything is huge in Canada. There is always that prevailing sense of HUGE SPACE,
which often translated to that great sense of increased headroom. (And this is what
I like most.)

- weather is somewhat ghastly during the winter time, so a lot of Vancouverites/BCers
travel to Mexico, California and Hawaii in order to catch a little bit of sun.

/s

Old Jun 19th 2001, 5:53 pm
Benny H Quay

Matthias, the ease in which the new immigrant adapts into their new country depends
on a few factors which, among other things, include personality type, English
proficiency (French, if you go to Quebec), employability, single or with dependents,
mental and physical health of self and family on arrival in Canada, treatment by
officials and the populace the first few days, new friends, linkage with own tribe
(compatriots), availibilty of preferred food, social activities, etc.

The most important single factor in adaptation and finally loving your new country is
the degree of attachment to one's old country. The new immigrant is usually quite
judmental of their new country. Naturally so: "back home this..." "back home that..."
is usually the term of reference for a long while.

It is hard for the new immigrant to sit down and reflect on why they left their old
country in the first place. Culture shock intesifies the feeling for the familiair.
Being unemployed for the initial period and trying to get acquainted with the new
system, customs, rules, etc. all add to one's feeling of estrangement.

Canadian culture is really not dissimilar with most cultures in that the things
Canadians cherish are things other people also embrace, e.g., a good job, friendship,
to love and be loved, wanting the best for one's children, to be successful, etc.

It is the differences in customs (some starkly different and others more subtly so)
that may throw a wrench (spanner) in the works. For example, lining up (queueing) was
one custom I had to get used to. Frankly, I like it, as it is a more efficient way of
dealing with needs. I can remember the mob scence in trying to get movie tickets back
home. I also like the fact that Canadians are generally informal. One may call one's
superviser or boss by their first name.

I recommend that new immigrants do the following to mitigage their homesickness and
culture shock, ipso facto, adapt to their new environment:

1. Suspend your judgment. You will only get frustrated and aggravated if you judge
your new country by your standards of morality, technical achievements, status
of women, sports, food, etc. "Take it easy, man.", is a phrase that made sense
for me. Yes, take it easy. So, what if consider Canadians sloppily dressed, or
insincere when they ask "How are you?" and really do not listen to your
response, ignorant of world geography and politics, have an inferior education
system, etc.?

Remember that you have chosen Canada to be your domicile. After having lived in
Canada for 35 years, I can assure you that this country has a lot to offer, its
bumbling Prime Minister, cold winters and heavy taxes notwithstanding. Seek out
the good points about your new country.

For example, I almost immediately appreciate the orderliness on the
roads/highways and the fact that pedestrians (except in Montreal perhaps) have
the right of way. I also love the fact that one can still enjoy the
wilderness--camping, fishing, hiking, etc.

2. Do not boil every disappointment down to Canadians being inept, prejudiced or
racist. My theory is that 10% of Canadians are imbeciles (racists). You still
have 90% who are decent folks. In my old country, one out of 4 people I would
consider racist. So, in my case, I am far better off in Canada.

If you cannot get a job, it is perhaps your spoken English or skills are
inadequate. So, improve yourself by attending an English course to remedy the
deficiency. Many classes and training programs are offered free to new
immigrants.

3. Try to be busy with social activities. Join a club if you can afford it. Many
social clubs charge only a nominal membership fee. If you love soccer, there are
usually pick-up games that you can join. If not, check with city hall or the town
hall to enquire about local leagues.

4. Friendship is important to everyone. It is indeed difficult to make new friends
if you land in a big city. Still, you have to make the effort. The workplace is
the most logical start. Remember that Canada is multicultural and has immigrants
from almost every country you can imagine. Your being a new immigrant, even if
you are from Shangri La, does not bestow you with any exotic value unless you
decide to live in a very small town.

So, do not wait to be befriended. Be proactive. At the workplace, do go out for a
coffee or something stronger with individuals or as a group. That is when people
will find out more about you and before you know it, you may get invited to a
social do. If people do not ask you to join them, ask them to join you for that
cuppa or pint.

Enough rambling. Matthias has hit it on the head re the personal factor. Being able
to get along, to make friends, to socialize with your fellow citizens or residents is
important to your sense of well-being and ultimately your success as an immigrant and
human being.

Benny Quay

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

>

>

Old Jun 19th 2001, 7:22 pm
Matthias Pump

Thank you very much. I understand what you said and i find your hints very useful. I
think i will have one or another question, so be prepared ...

Matt

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I recommend that new immigrants do the following to mitigage their homesickness[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and culture shock, ipso facto, adapt to their new environment:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1. Suspend your judgment. You will only get frustrated and aggravated if you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > judge your new country by your standards of morality, technical achievements,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > status of women, sports, food, etc. "Take it easy, man.", is a phrase that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > made sense for me. Yes, take it easy. So, what if consider Canadians sloppily[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > dressed, or insincere when they ask "How are you?" and really do not listen[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to your response, ignorant of world geography and politics, have an inferior[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > education system, etc.?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Remember that you have chosen Canada to be your domicile. After having lived[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in Canada for 35 years, I can assure you that this country has a lot to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > offer, its bumbling Prime Minister, cold winters and heavy taxes[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > notwithstanding. Seek out the good points about your new country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > For example, I almost immediately appreciate the orderliness on the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > roads/highways and the fact that pedestrians (except in Montreal perhaps)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have the right of way. I also love the fact that one can still enjoy the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wilderness--camping, fishing, hiking, etc.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Do not boil every disappointment down to Canadians being inept, prejudiced or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > racist. My theory is that 10% of Canadians are imbeciles (racists). You still[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have 90% who are decent folks. In my old country, one out of 4 people I would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > consider racist. So, in my case, I am far better off in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If you cannot get a job, it is perhaps your spoken English or skills are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > inadequate. So, improve yourself by attending an English course to remedy the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > deficiency. Many classes and training programs are offered free to new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > immigrants.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 3. Try to be busy with social activities. Join a club if you can afford it. Many[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > social clubs charge only a nominal membership fee. If you love soccer, there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are usually pick-up games that you can join. If not, check with city hall or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the town hall to enquire about local leagues.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 4. Friendship is important to everyone. It is indeed difficult to make new[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > friends if you land in a big city. Still, you have to make the effort. The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > workplace is the most logical start. Remember that Canada is multicultural[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and has immigrants from almost every country you can imagine. Your being a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > new immigrant, even if you are from Shangri La, does not bestow you with any[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > exotic value unless you decide to live in a very small town.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So, do not wait to be befriended. Be proactive. At the workplace, do go out[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for a coffee or something stronger with individuals or as a group. That is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > when people will find out more about you and before you know it, you may get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > invited to a social do. If people do not ask you to join them, ask them to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > join you for that cuppa or pint.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >