Which permit is better?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road
Default Which permit is better?

Hi all,

I get married April 2014 to my Canadian spouse, is it better for me to apply for a temporary visitors permit, then travel to canada with him and then apply for a pemanant residency as being 'outside', or can I get the ball rolling now and apply for permanent residency?
I initially thought after getting married I would apply for a temporary visitors permit, once I land in Canada state to immigration that I intend to apply for permanent residency as being 'outside' straight away (hoping they will allow me a years stay) and take things from there.
I will be taking a career break so i always have my job and parents to come back to in the uk if required, but hoping I won't need to do that.
I have read many threads and sites, I thought I had a clear idea but am getting more confused with options.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:35 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which permit is better?

Do you live together currently in the UK?
If so, have you lived together continuously for 12 months or more?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

No we met 2011 and have since been in a long distance relationship. He is born bred Canadian, but we have never lived together in the whole duration of our relationship, apart from holidays, max was 10 days.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:33 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

If you're under 30 you could look into the IEC visa which allows you to go to Canada and work for a year. They're normally released towards the end of the year but competition is fierce and there is a quota.

Then you could presumably go out, get married and apply "outland" (i.e you live in Canada but apply via London) for spousal sponsorship.

Last edited by orly; Sep 3rd 2013 at 6:36 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

I wish I was 30yrs. I'll be 35 when we are married.
My career break from work is already approved and I did mention on there that whilst I am in Canada I would not be working (my work prefer that hence it being approved).