Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residence decision - advice required

Permanent Residence decision - advice required

Old Nov 28th 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

zambrotta is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Permanent Residence decision - advice required

We sent our application for Permanent Residency for Canada in May this year and received confirmation of our file number in July. On the CIC website our application is now showing as 'In Process'. We were just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what the immigration officer is now doing with our application, i.e. what will they be looking for, what checks are they making, etc. We know that they have to ensure that we have the relevant points required, but would this check have been done before they accepted our application for processing and issued our file number?

It would be great to be a 'fly on the wall', but as we are not, does anyone have any comments on the above? Also, having been issued with a file number, what are the odds now of us being rejected? What kind of issues cause an immigration officer to reject an application, apart from the obvious criminal convictions, lack of points, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Deb
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residence decision - advice required

Nobody will be able to answer this question. Acceptance or Rejection of your application heavily depends on your qualifications , work experience , how you prepared your package and what type of evidence did you send with it and lots of other factors .

Regarding e-client. They dont keep it in sync with daily activities. I sent my app in Nov 2003 and went through my medical some 4 months ago. My e-client is still showing the same status .... 'In Process'

Originally Posted by zambrotta
We sent our application for Permanent Residency for Canada in May this year and received confirmation of our file number in July. On the CIC website our application is now showing as 'In Process'. We were just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what the immigration officer is now doing with our application, i.e. what will they be looking for, what checks are they making, etc. We know that they have to ensure that we have the relevant points required, but would this check have been done before they accepted our application for processing and issued our file number?

It would be great to be a 'fly on the wall', but as we are not, does anyone have any comments on the above? Also, having been issued with a file number, what are the odds now of us being rejected? What kind of issues cause an immigration officer to reject an application, apart from the obvious criminal convictions, lack of points, etc.

Deb
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:30 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Acceptance of application for processing and issuing file number means only that application package met minimum requirements - all forms, fees and minimum required documents are there. As for points, selection criteria, how complete and consclusive evidence is, etc. - it will be done in next stages. For now relax and wait. Depending from visa post you submitted application to, your nationality, countries you resided in, where you gained your credentials, how well and conclusive entire application is, etc. your may wait now anywhere from several months to few years for next letter from visa post.

Deb
Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Permanent Residence decision - advice required

Thanks for the replying so quickley. At present I understand you have to be patient, but the hardest job is putting everything on hold in your life.

For example I want to change my career and undertaking courses, as well as house alterations.

We have a very positive attitude either way the decision goes, as just submitting the permanent residence was an achievement as we have been talking and researching about getting a new life in canada for 5 years now.

We have got to accept, we have to play the waiting game in order to realise our life will be in England or Canada.

Andy.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:57 pm
the-smiths

Zambo,

If anyone claims to know the answer to this, then they are a big porky teller. LOL. Yes it will be nice to be a fly on the wall, but then you might be killed for wanting to get onto the Tim Hortons they are drinking at the time at the CIC office.

All you can do really, is wait, wait, wait, and wait. One thing I can tell you though, is that they do check all the forms, and might even call you sometimes to ask questions about a certain area of you application.

Winter is here, so they should be spending more time indoors looking at applications, as compared to the summer time, where people can't wait to get to the cottage.

Just keep everything crossed, and pray. This is just one aspect of the struggle, once you get here, there is the job battle to confront, and that is not easy my friend. Oh...and the taxes, also less vacation.

Good luck

Deb

Old Nov 29th 2004, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Permanent Residence decision - advice required

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Zambo,

If anyone claims to know the answer to this, then they are a big porky teller. LOL. Yes it will be nice to be a fly on the wall, but then you might be killed for wanting to get onto the Tim Hortons they are drinking at the time at the CIC office.

All you can do really, is wait, wait, wait, and wait. One thing I can tell you though, is that they do check all the forms, and might even call you sometimes to ask questions about a certain area of you application.

Winter is here, so they should be spending more time indoors looking at applications, as compared to the summer time, where people can't wait to get to the cottage.

Just keep everything crossed, and pray. This is just one aspect of the struggle, once you get here, there is the job battle to confront, and that is not easy my friend. Oh...and the taxes, also less vacation.

Good luck

The-Smiths,

Thanks for the reply, how easy was your application for a new life in Canada. And was it as hard to obtain a job in Canada as people have been saying ?

Andy.