Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:12 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default Re: PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

Originally Posted by BECKIE1982
OK,
So did you go over to have an interview? How are you applying for your COPR? What company did you use to sort all this or did you do it all yourself? Did she have to do anything else to get her qualifications in line?
I really appreciate your help.
Hi, she met with the head of HR in the local school division, but we have family and friends who are teachers there also. She will interview via SKYPE, if selected, otherwise get an interview when we land.

Our process was pretty straight forward under the provincial nominee program, so relatively little to send when we submitted our main application, no need to use a company. As a Provincial Nominee you get expedited processing so whole process should take no more than 1 year if everything goes smoothly.

Initially the Manitoba education certification in Manitoba did not recognise her theology degree (Not that we are bible bashers or anything) and turned her down. With a bit more digging around she was able to get more credits with other qualifications. She was awarded a provisional cert last year which basically allowed her to teach on landing for 5 years, in that time she had to get the extra quals to get the permanent certificate. Still not happy with that she asked that her quals were looked at again and further info sent from Liverpool uni. Eventually they awarded her the permanent eligibility certificate, it was a long haul but worth it in the end

I think Manitoba is the easiest province to get into for teaching and the one with the most prospects.

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:07 am
Just Joined

BECKIE1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi, she met with the head of HR in the local school division, but we have family and friends who are teachers there also. She will interview via SKYPE, if selected, otherwise get an interview when we land.

Our process was pretty straight forward under the provincial nominee program, so relatively little to send when we submitted our main application, no need to use a company. As a Provincial Nominee you get expedited processing so whole process should take no more than 1 year if everything goes smoothly.

Initially the Manitoba education certification in Manitoba did not recognise her theology degree (Not that we are bible bashers or anything) and turned her down. With a bit more digging around she was able to get more credits with other qualifications. She was awarded a provisional cert last year which basically allowed her to teach on landing for 5 years, in that time she had to get the extra quals to get the permanent certificate. Still not happy with that she asked that her quals were looked at again and further info sent from Liverpool uni. Eventually they awarded her the permanent eligibility certificate, it was a long haul but worth it in the end

I think Manitoba is the easiest province to get into for teaching and the one with the most prospects.

Regards

Andrew
Brilliant thanks Andres, This really helps! x
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Brilliant thanks Andres, This really helps! x
Sorry Andrew!!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:57 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Just to add in another idea, would there be any chance your partner could get over with an lmo for personal training and you tag along? I might be batty but I think someone posted a while back about possible lmo's for exercise instructors - was it 4bellslondon by any chance?
Who me?

Some gym chains will try to get LMO's for P.T.'s.

If you are looking at Vancouvet try Steve Nash / Fitness World.

GoodLife DO NOT do LMOs .

Given the number of alleged PTs in Van, I am suprised Steve Nash still willing recruit internationally!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks Everyone, So THe next thing we have found out it that we can get there via a FSW Visa when the new list comes out in May on the fact that I am a teacher. If we live in BC does anyone know of the chance I will get supply anywhere else in BC?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Everyone, So THe next thing we have found out it that we can get there via a FSW Visa when the new list comes out in May on the fact that I am a teacher. If we live in BC does anyone know of the chance I will get supply anywhere else in BC?
Just to clarify, if you qualify for the new FSW program it isn't because you are a teacher - in the past, when there has been a list of eligible occupations for FSW, teacher has never been on the list.

However, it's expected (although not confirmed yet) that the new program may not have a list of occupations in demand, so anybody with the relevant number of points etc can apply. If that is the case, then do double check your points score with the new points test (http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html) and be ready to submit your application so it's received on 4th May as there will be a small quota and the visas are expected to run out almost instantly.

So if you think you may qualify, first thing to do is start gathering paperwork asap, and get your IELTS exam booked as a priority as you may have to wait a couple of months for a slot.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify, if you qualify for the new FSW program it isn't because you are a teacher - in the past, when there has been a list of eligible occupations for FSW, teacher has never been on the list.

However, it's expected (although not confirmed yet) that the new program may not have a list of occupations in demand, so anybody with the relevant number of points etc can apply. If that is the case, then do double check your points score with the new points test (http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html) and be ready to submit your application so it's received on 4th May as there will be a small quota and the visas are expected to run out almost instantly.

So if you think you may qualify, first thing to do is start gathering paperwork asap, and get your IELTS exam booked as a priority as you may have to wait a couple of months for a slot.

HTH, good luck.
Ok, So this Lady we have spoken to stated that Teachers will be on the list a they are in demand somewhere in Canada, Is this not true?
She said I achieved 84 on my points test so there is no problem there.
I may sound dumb but what is IELTS exam?
I have in touch the BC Education and got a list of the info they need to ensure I am eligable to teach and that means paying them, is this true?

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, So this Lady we have spoken to stated that Teachers will be on the list a they are in demand somewhere in Canada, Is this not true?
What list is she referring to? It's anticipated that there won't be any list for the new FSW program! And if there is, then it's highly unlikely that teachers will be on it (as mentioned above, they never have been before, as they're just not in demand). This isn't a lady from Global Visas that's telling you this is it?

She said I achieved 84 on my points test so there is no problem there.
That's good, but double check it yourself on the link I gave.

I may sound dumb but what is IELTS exam?
The English exam you'll need to take. Best thing to do if you do want to apply in May is to download the application pack from the CIC website, which includes the document checklist that will tell you everything you need to submit. It's quite a lot of paperwork (IELTS result, police checks, employment references, degree transcripts, proof of funds, etc) so start gathering it asap!

I've no idea about paying BC Education I'm afraid.

HTH.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Chrismasoompa, you are being so helpful, I really appreciate it.

It was a lady from CityVisas - she reassured me that teachers are on the list as she told my boyfriend and I rang to double check stating what people on here had said - no teachers in demand, a long time to get a job, people going through the PN route, she said FSW and PR was the best way for us.

Do you mind answering a few questions about my OH? Like I said before he is a PT but also has 10 years experience in construction including jobs such as labouring, bricklaying and site manager for 2 years. Would we be able to go on his application? is there any of these kinds of jobs on the list?

I know you cant say for def but would I be able secure a job in sports coaching more easily than teaching?

The long and short of it is: We really have our heart set on moving to Canada but need to have enough money to live therefore one of us needs a job or both. I don't mind doing something else other than teaching but we need to make sure one of us has a half decent job. The reason for the BC area is my OH is training to be a stunt man and time is ticking on for him to do this and with alot of filming done here, he would like to be near by.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah, ok. In which case, can I suggest you also search the forum for City Visas.

There are some consultants that are regularly recommended on here, but City Visas and Global Visas aren't among them! I've no idea what the lady you were speaking to was on about, you can check the current list of eligible occupations for the FSW program here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

But as said above, it's predicted that there will be no list of eligible occupations when the program reopens in May, so you may well be able to apply for PR via that route (or via your OH's, if he qualifies as well, it'll be up to you who applies as principal applicant).

All you can really do is wait and see what CIC announces in the coming months, and make sure you're ready to go so that if you are eligible you can apply in May.

HTH, good luck!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this info,

I was a little suspicious at what she was saying.

Thanks, I am sure I will be back with more questions!!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for this info,

I was a little suspicious at what she was saying.

Thanks, I am sure I will be back with more questions!!
No probs.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Christmasoompa,

I have been looking for some info on what companies to use - if we decide to do that ( info on City Visas ) and can't seem to find it?
I have searched for immigration consultants, globalvisas and cityvisas and can't seem to find anything, can you help?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Christmasoompa,

I have been looking for some info on what companies to use - if we decide to do that ( info on City Visas ) and can't seem to find it?
I have searched for immigration consultants, globalvisas and cityvisas and can't seem to find anything, can you help?
Use the search function - top right, make sure you search all posts (not just thread titles).

But why do you think you need to use a consultant? Only a small percentage of forum members use one, unless you have complicated circumstances (i.e. criminal record) then you would probably be fine to do it yourself.

Have a look at the forms on the CIC website and see if you think you'd be happy completing them on your own (well, with the help of this forum too of course!).
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

lorerodri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manitobain
Yes, MB and NS have those programs to attract immigrants (as other provinces have other versions)...but the whole point is for them to stay permanently. If the Province can't prove that they are doing just that and if stats show that too many ppl move on, the programs will be simply scratched...NS is already hinting this.

So it might be the gain of the one that got in and moved on...but it will be the loss of all those that had hoped to settle in these Provinces...and lot of chances of immigration taken away on the long run (don't give dear Mr. Kenney any reason to scratch more programs)

Manitobain, NS program call "Community Identified Stream"??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.