Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:05 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default Re: PE teacher wanting to teach in Canada

Originally Posted by BECKIE1982
Hi All,
I am new to all of this but I am hoping to get some information, Firstly a little bt about me.
I am 31 Years old and have been teaching in the same school for 9 years.
I have applied for a Teacher Exchange but it is not looking hopeful for this year.
I live with my partner and have done for the last 2 years.

Ok, Now my questions:
1) what are our best options for getting to Canada - I know we are both too old to get a working visa.
2) How/ where do I look to get a teaching job
3) As my partner is self employed and does not know where his money is coming from week to week, we do not have any evidence that we have lived together for 2 years - only 3 months - is there anyway that we can prove this to go together?

I am sure these are very common questions but I have searched and searched the web and have no idea what visa we need etc.

I wait in anticipation for your advice.
Hi my OH has had her UK qualifications accepted by Manitoba and she has been issued with a permanent eligibility certificate and teacher number. On landing (This year we hope) she has to produce a police check certificate (From UK or Canada) that is no more than 3 months old. They will then issue her with certificate etc etc, so good to go and good prospects for teachers in Manitoba. She also met with the Head of HR (Brandon School Division) who told her that there is a big shortage of supply.

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:36 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add in another idea, would there be any chance your partner could get over with an lmo for personal training and you tag along? I might be batty but I think someone posted a while back about possible lmo's for exercise instructors - was it 4bellslondon by any chance?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

My husband has been working as a teacher in BC since the autumn (in a private school). He does need to do a heck of a lot of courses to gain his permanent teaching certificate, but on the plus side, he has been issued a temporary certificate which is valid for 5 years. This means he is eligible to teach right now, but has to complete all the required courses in the meantime. Apparently there is also an independent school teaching certificate, which is easier to get, but only allows you to teach in private schools. Worth looking into though.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susieh
My husband has been working as a teacher in BC since the autumn (in a private school). He does need to do a heck of a lot of courses to gain his permanent teaching certificate, but on the plus side, he has been issued a temporary certificate which is valid for 5 years. This means he is eligible to teach right now, but has to complete all the required courses in the meantime. Apparently there is also an independent school teaching certificate, which is easier to get, but only allows you to teach in private schools. Worth looking into though.
Trouble for the OP though, is that being a teacher isn't going to get her over there in the first place. Getting certified is one thing, but visa needs to be in place for her to be able to work.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Trouble for the OP though, is that being a teacher isn't going to get her over there in the first place. Getting certified is one thing, but visa needs to be in place for her to be able to work.
True! We applied back in 2007, so it was a bit easier then. (Although finding a teaching job wasn't easy!)
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi my OH has had her UK qualifications accepted by Manitoba and she has been issued with a permanent eligibility certificate and teacher number. On landing (This year we hope) she has to produce a police check certificate (From UK or Canada) that is no more than 3 months old. They will then issue her with certificate etc etc, so good to go and good prospects for teachers in Manitoba. She also met with the Head of HR (Brandon School Division) who told her that there is a big shortage of supply.

Regards

Andrew
...this was what I meant ..when I tried to send her to the MB site. BUT, if she is only looking at it to get in to Canada...she shouldn't even look at it

(Christmasoompa: prefer you wouldn't give that sort of advice (to take less popular province "to get in", that is one way of killing the PNP on the longer run)
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manitobain
(Christmasoompa: prefer you wouldn't give that sort of advice (to take less popular province "to get in", that is one way of killing the PNP on the longer run)
But it is, that's why MB and NS have those programs, they're trying to attract immigrants for that very reason, because they're less popular than the usual ON/AB/BC destinations.

OP has said Vancouver and Alberta are where they're looking at anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

But it is, that's why MB and NS have those programs, they're trying to attract immigrants for that very reason, because they're less popular than the usual ON/AB/BC destinations.

OP has said Vancouver and Alberta are where they're looking at anyway.
Yes, MB and NS have those programs to attract immigrants (as other provinces have other versions)...but the whole point is for them to stay permanently. If the Province can't prove that they are doing just that and if stats show that too many ppl move on, the programs will be simply scratched...NS is already hinting this.

So it might be the gain of the one that got in and moved on...but it will be the loss of all those that had hoped to settle in these Provinces...and lot of chances of immigration taken away on the long run (don't give dear Mr. Kenney any reason to scratch more programs)
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by manitobain
Yes, MB and NS have those programs to attract immigrants (as other provinces have other versions)...but the whole point is for them to stay permanently. If the Province can't prove that they are doing just that and if stats show that too many ppl move on, the programs will be simply scratched...NS is already hinting this.

So it might be the gain of the one that got in and moved on...but it will be the loss of all those that had hoped to settle in these Provinces...and lot of chances of immigration taken away on the long run (don't give dear Mr. Kenney any reason to scratch more programs)
Oh, I totally agree. I never said that anybody should consider one of those programs if they weren't intending to live there permanently, I thought you were disagreeing with me saying that they were less popular provinces!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, I totally agree. I never said that anybody should consider one of those programs if they weren't intending to live there permanently, I thought you were disagreeing with me saying that they were less popular provinces!
lol..no, I wasn't. I wouldn't want Manitoba to flow over with ppl in the first place
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

BECKIE1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankypu so much everyone, it gives us something to start with - it is alot more complicated than we expected and will take a long time!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Hi, Back again with more questions.
My OH has been enquiring on how to get a visa and which type.
CITYVISAS have stated that both our jobs will be on the list in May. Teacher and Personal Trainer.
They also have stated that I get 86 points on the test so I qualify for this Visa.
Is this true?
Has anyone had any dealings with CITYVISAS?
Thanks again
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Regards

Andrew
Andrew, Has she got a Job offer? Are you able to go over without a Job offer and what are the T&C's. How long did this take? Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:08 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BECKIE1982
Andrew, Has she got a Job offer? Are you able to go over without a Job offer and what are the T&C's. How long did this take? Thanks
Hi, no job offer, yes we are going without, as we are provincial nominees and have already been nominated should............. have our PR by August this year, if not we will go on a visitor visa until we get our COPR then flag pole down to USA and activate. We will stay with my parents until we are sorted.

In the meantime because she is a provincial nominee she is able to apply for jobs as if she were already landed. With a job offer letter she could apply for a TWP at the point of entry (Arrival in Canada) without going down the LMO route (Labour Market Opinion, where you would have no chance). It will be a slim chance if any that she will get a job offer between now and the issue of our COPR, what we don't know is if she is offered a position on the supply/sub teaching list, (You need to interview for this in Manitoba) would that count towards a TWP until our COPR?

It was a pain getting her UK qualifications aligned with Canada, she had to send all her degree course transcripts to Canada for inspection and suitability. You also have to pay a fee, around $88 I think?

Hope this helps

Andrew
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Hi, no job offer, yes we are going without, as we are provincial nominees and have already been nominated should............. have our PR by August this year, if not we will go on a visitor visa until we get our COPR then flag pole down to USA and activate. We will stay with my parents until we are sorted.

In the meantime because she is a provincial nominee she is able to apply for jobs as if she were already landed. With a job offer letter she could apply for a TWP at the point of entry (Arrival in Canada) without going down the LMO route (Labour Market Opinion, where you would have no chance). It will be a slim chance if any that she will get a job offer between now and the issue of our COPR, what we don't know is if she is offered a position on the supply/sub teaching list, (You need to interview for this in Manitoba) would that count towards a TWP until our COPR?

It was a pain getting her UK qualifications aligned with Canada, she had to send all her degree course transcripts to Canada for inspection and suitability. You also have to pay a fee, around $88 I think?

Hope this helps

Andrew
OK,
So did you go over to have an interview? How are you applying for your COPR? What company did you use to sort all this or did you do it all yourself? Did she have to do anything else to get her qualifications in line?
I really appreciate your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.