Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

part time degree and education points

part time degree and education points

Old Feb 11th 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default part time degree and education points

Hi

We are hoping to start the emigration process in July this year.
Currently my husband's job is: 1122 Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management. I know this could change come July but we could not have applied any sooner as my hubby has been completeing his BA in business management in order for us to gain more points.
Hopefully as a business analyst for the past 10 years (some time self employed so company director as well) we will be able to 'slot' his job under most business type titles.

Our problem is scoring his degree, we are not sure how to place it and putting it down as a 1 year BA means we will only get 66 points.

Here is how we have totted up our points:

My husband has 7 years full time primary education and 6 years full time secondary education (2 of those doing scottish highers). 13 years

He went on to complete the first year (full time) of a degree in engineering but dropped out as it wasn't for him.1 year but not sure if counts?

He has just completed a year long BA in business management and graduates this summer. However, he only had to attend uni around 1 day a month and the rest was self study, he also effectively went straight into 3rd year because of his vast previous experience. not sure how to calculate this?

if 1 year BA and 13 years education the total = 15 points

High proficiency English 16 points
No proficiency French 0 points

4 or more years work experience 21 points

age 31 10 points

No arranged employment 0 points

Me: BA degree and at least 14 years full time study, no Canadian education, employment or family 4 points

Total = 66 points

This means we are short of 1 point unless anyone has more information on how to score my hubby's BA?

Our option is for him to learn basic level French, but with NO experience of French whatsoever we are not confident! He is very hard working and would put a lot into learning but we are not sure there is enough time?

Any help as to how to score his BA or anyone's experiences of learning French would be gratefully recieved!

The Blairs
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: part time degree and education points

Originally Posted by the blairs
He went on to complete the first year (full time) of a degree in engineering but dropped out as it wasn't for him. 1 year but not sure if counts?
Afraid not, only completed education counts.

He has just completed a year long BA in business management and graduates this summer. However, he only had to attend uni around 1 day a month and the rest was self study, he also effectively went straight into 3rd year because of his vast previous experience. not sure how to calculate this?
I'd put that at 15 points, so think you're right on that one. He can't claim 20 points as it wasn't a 2 year or more degree, so 15 points seems the best match.

Total = 66 points
Yep, I make it the same.

Our option is for him to learn basic level French, but with NO experience of French whatsoever we are not confident! He is very hard working and would put a lot into learning but we are not sure there is enough time?
How about an intensive residential course in French? I know of a few people who have done that and learned enough French to qualify under 'basic' level for the extra 2 points. Not sure what else you can do tbh unless he can find a job offer or a long lost Canadian relative!!

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: part time degree and education points

Hi

My husband has 7 years full time primary education and 6 years full time secondary education (2 of those doing scottish highers). 13 years
Not sure about the education system in Scotland and what level highers are, but as a rule of thumb they seem to go on the equivalent school years, ie, primary years 1 - 6 (total 6), secondary, years 7 - 11 (total 5) , A levels, years 12 - 13 (total 2) = total 13 years.