Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Parents Sponsorship vs Visitor Visa

Parents Sponsorship vs Visitor Visa

Old Mar 14th 2009, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Free Lancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Parents Sponsorship vs Visitor Visa

Hello,

I am new here and have a question pertaining parents sponsorship and their visitor visa.

My wife and I got PR a year back and now want to sponsor our parents to come and join us. My friends tell me that once we file for our parents – they have to wait for 5 years or so (whatever the waiting period) and during that wait period, they are NOT allowed to visit us on a visitor/tourist visa !!

If this is true – do you think it is advisable to first get them here on tourist visa (hoping for a multiple entry) and then file their immigration – that way they can visit us whenever they wish during the waiting period.

Or do you think an immigration file in process has no bearing in granting a visitor visas to our parents?

Please help me alleviate this dilemma. Any advise is will be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 5:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents Sponsorship vs Visitor Visa

Hi

Originally Posted by Free Lancer
Hello,

I am new here and have a question pertaining parents sponsorship and their visitor visa.

My wife and I got PR a year back and now want to sponsor our parents to come and join us. My friends tell me that once we file for our parents – they have to wait for 5 years or so (whatever the waiting period) and during that wait period, they are NOT allowed to visit us on a visitor/tourist visa !!

If this is true – do you think it is advisable to first get them here on tourist visa (hoping for a multiple entry) and then file their immigration – that way they can visit us whenever they wish during the waiting period.

Or do you think an immigration file in process has no bearing in granting a visitor visas to our parents?

Please help me alleviate this dilemma. Any advise is will be much appreciated. Cheers!
The Immigration application for the parents will have little or no bearing on them visiting Canada. As long as they meet the criteria for a visitor, they should be admitted as such.

Are your parents from a visa requiring country? If so they might as well apply for a multiple entry TRV. If they are visa exempt they don't require a TRV.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 6:40 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Free Lancer
Hello,

There is no restriction on them visiting. If they are from the UK they can visit for 6 months without applying for a visitor visa beforehand and also you can apply for an extension before the 6 months is up. In fact it is possible to continue to extend their visitor status for several years provided they still meet the criteria for extending each time.

I would say the total processing time for sponsorship application then their PR applications to London is between 3 and 4 years rather than 5.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Free Lancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you PMM & NSPaul for your reply. I appreciate the help.