Options for sister-in-law

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:05 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of
Default Options for sister-in-law

Hello there -

My sister-in-law is a trained nanny and last time I was England I said that if she fancied coming out to Canada for a bit, we would really appreciate her help with our kids before they drive my wife into even further insanity.

She's now keen on this idea but I said I'd look into ways she can do this, particularly as I know she fears having to return to England if she likes it here.

My family has its PR but something that surprises me is that there seems to be a restriction on sponsoring siblings. I have no idea why.

What are her options though?

I told her she can just come out as a visitor but I'm not sure how she can do this. She's only looking after the kids and we won't be employing her but she'll get plenty of benefits in kind. Also tourists generally get 6 months on their passport. What happens at this time? Can this be extended without leaving and returning? If you have to 'flagpole' to do this, are there ever issues getting readmitted?

What are the other options? I heard about BUNAC but she'd like to come out early next year and not sure how long that takes or the process.

Ideally we'd have her here with the right to work anywhere so that we can pay her and she is free to find work elsewhere. What are the options with this? I'm sure this question has arisen before on this forum so I'm hoping that there are a few options which would apply.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for sister-in-law

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
Hello there -

My sister-in-law is a trained nanny and last time I was England I said that if she fancied coming out to Canada for a bit, we would really appreciate her help with our kids before they drive my wife into even further insanity.

She's now keen on this idea but I said I'd look into ways she can do this, particularly as I know she fears having to return to England if she likes it here.

My family has its PR but something that surprises me is that there seems to be a restriction on sponsoring siblings. I have no idea why.

What are her options though?
Start at http://www.cic.gc.ca

I know of no country that allows unrestricted sponsorship of siblings, and it's not clear why Canada should be expected to accept the extended families of those it selects as migrants.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:08 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about BC as it is bound to be a popular province, but here in Newfoundland, under recent changes you can sponsor your sibling via the PNP program once you have your PR.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

BUNAC will give her 1 year if she s between the age of 18-30?
She will need to apply when it opens again for non students in November!
usually fills up in 3-4 weeks so get in quick! also she need to get her police checks done asap as that needs to go of with her application. costs about £300 all in all plus she will need a return flight home

Regarding the 6 month thing! basically she can come for 6 months go home for a bit then come back? I ve been in and out for the last 10 months with no problems!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:48 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there -

If she is a qualified nanny (has certificate to prove it) then she may qualify to come as Live-in Caregiver, providing of course you can qualify as employer and can provide separate living quarters in your home:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-how.asp

After 2 years of working in Canada as Live-in caregiver she will be eligible to apply for PR status within Canada.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:21 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
it's not clear why Canada should be expected to accept the extended families of those it selects as migrants.
I agree, yet I can sponsor my grandmother or nephew. Based on this it would appear ridiculous not to be able to sponsor someone of similar age to myself.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If she is a qualified nanny (has certificate to prove it) then she may qualify to come as Live-in Caregiver
Thanks Andrew that sounds worth following up. She is certainly certified but I'm not sure to what level as I don't know much about her line of work.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, yet I can sponsor my grandmother or nephew.
Not as part of the Family Class, normally.

Are you referring to the 5 points extra in the points test?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not as part of the Family Class, normally.

Are you referring to the 5 points extra in the points test?
He can sponsor his grandmother via Family Class. The nephew is another matter - unless he's under 18, not married and an orphan (which may of course be the case).
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He can sponsor his grandmother via Family Class. The nephew is another matter - unless he's under 18, not married and an orphan (which may of course be the case).
I stand corrected re grandparents.