Open work permit question???

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice
Default Open work permit question???

Hi,

My wife has an open work permit on the back of my work permit, and is looking at which jobs she likes, she'd like to work in a sports centre, possibly volunteering at first, either as a life guard or fitness coach etc..

on her open work permit the conditions are:-

1. Unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any acedemic, professional or vocational training course.

2. Must leave canada by ......

3. Not authorised to work in 1)child care, 2) primary or secondary school teaching, 3)health services field occupations.

Is she allowed to work in the professions stated (eg. lifeguard/fitness coach)?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Roo

Last edited by Roos here; Jan 3rd 2008 at 6:13 am. Reason: forgot to ask question Doh!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Open work permit question???

Sorry Roo

I dont know the answers to your question but would there be any chance you can answer my question I posted above at all? Just wondered cos your wife already has Open TWP? It's just that I am struggling to find out the info that I need......My post is another question TWP...or something similiar, thanks so much in advance...and good luck with your wifes job search
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help directly but my employer wanted me to take an evening class whilst on a WP which said that same as your wifes.

My first reaction was to say "no" because of what the WP said, but then I thought about all the people who come here on WP who do ski instructor courses so decided to investigae further. I found a page on the CIC website saying that you can take part-time courses under 3 months in length (or something similar). So they are just stopping you from being here in a WP and studying full-time.

So the moral of my story is that I am sure there is a way for your wife to do those jobs (if she gets them) because it isn't based in a school, or she won't be working a daycare assiatant, and I assume the health services part is referring to the medical profession.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Dave

Hope you and your clan are enjoying life in Alberta

Hopefully will be able to help with the below as I am on a SOWP on the back of Phils TWP.

Originally Posted by Roos here
Hi,

My wife has an open work permit on the back of my work permit, and is looking at which jobs she likes, she'd like to work in a sports centre, possibly volunteering at first, either as a life guard or fitness coach etc..

There is nothing stopping her from volunteering - this is also a good way of getting your foot in the door of places in preparation for working full time.

on her open work permit the conditions are:-

1. Unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any acedemic, professional or vocational training course.

This part means that she cannot attend any college course which will result in her obtaining an acredited qualification. If an employer requires her to do some "on job" training in respect of her job then she is allowed to do this.

2. Must leave canada by ......

Obviously this date coincides with the expiry of your TWP as you should leave Canada immediately when your TWP expires.

3. Not authorised to work in 1)child care, 2) primary or secondary school teaching, 3)health services field occupations.

This is exactly what it says. To work in Child Care (such as a child minder or at the Y with kids, or in a school or college environement or in a hospital or doctors surgery you must have a medical (as you would with a PR application). If you did not require to get a med done for your TWP (sorry cant remember what you do for a living) then this is why your OH cannot work in these fields. Not too sure if she is able to have a medical done to enable her to enter one of these professions - maybe Andrew knows

Is she allowed to work in the professions stated (eg. lifeguard/fitness coach)?

I would say that if it was a public pool for example not attached to a school then she would be definitely OK to do this as it is not one of the above professions.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Roo
Hope you understand my rants Dave

Gaynor
x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

Hey Gaynor,

Yeah we're all settling in well, hope you's had a great xmas and new year (i'm still recovering from our new years party)

The job is actually in the YMCA, but it doesn't seem kid orientated, more like what the david lloyd was like back in the UK.

Might try and find a number to call CIC and ask there translation of it.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:59 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roos here
Hey Gaynor,

Might try and find a number to call CIC and ask there translation of it.
it is on the back of your wp: 1-888-242-2100