Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Occupation for Network administrator ?

Occupation for Network administrator ?

Old Jan 22nd 2001, 6:53 pm
hsingh447

I am interested in coming to Canada under the independent category or work visa (EA). My
problem is - I cannot find the appropriate Job Title/ Occupation in NOC that goes with my
job responsibilities & Education.

I am a Computer Network administrator with over 8 years of hardware experience -
configuring, maintaining & supporting computer systems, Networks & peripherals. I do not
have a degree in computer science or engineering but have taken various Certificate
courses & 1-year diploma in computer programming. I have looked at some of the Computer
occupations listed in NOC - they are mainly for software professionals. Anyone with a
similar experience, please advise the job title that I can use on my application & how
many points they carry for factor 3 & 4 (occupation & ETF).

Should I consider applying as a programmer based on my diploma & programming experience in
1984- 1986? I am also doing some courses in e-commerce development; will this help in
immigration prospects?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old Jan 23rd 2001, 5:26 am
ihussain

My suggestion is visit http://www.canadavisa.com and fill up the online assessment form.
Its free and you can get all the information you want from this website.

Ismail S. Hussain

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> I am interested in coming to Canada under the independent category or work visa (EA). My
> problem is - I cannot find the appropriate Job Title/ Occupation in NOC that goes with
> my job responsibilities & Education.
>
> I am a Computer Network administrator with over 8 years of hardware experience -
> configuring, maintaining & supporting computer systems, Networks & peripherals. I do not
> have a degree in computer science or engineering but have taken various Certificate
> courses & 1-year diploma in computer programming. I have looked at some of the Computer
> occupations listed in NOC - they are mainly for software professionals. Anyone with a
> similar experience, please advise the job title that I can use on my application & how
> many points they carry for factor 3 & 4 (occupation & ETF).
>
> Should I consider applying as a programmer based on my diploma & programming experience
> in 1984- 1986? I am also doing some courses in e-commerce development; will this help in
> immigration prospects?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old Jan 24th 2001, 6:56 pm
HIFailey

I suggest that you should visit National Occupational Classification (NOC)
http://www.worklogic.com:81/noc/home.html You should use 2147 Computer Engineers.

Best of luck Haki

Old Jan 31st 2001, 1:41 am
smartking

Hi... Do we have any successful applicants who are Systems or Network Admins and applied
as Computer Engineers or Systems Analysts and cleared thru. I'd appreciate replies from
either successful or unsuccessful. Andrew and Jim could you throw some light in the
situation. Would you advise a Systems Administrator or Network Administrator to apply now
or wait for the new law to come into effect where they are getting done and away with
specific Occupation Lists.

Thanks, appreciate the inputs,

Shawn...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(HIFailey) wrote:
> I suggest that you should visit National Occupational Classification
(NOC)
> http://www.worklogic.com:81/noc/home.html You should use 2147 Computer Engineers.
>
> Best of luck Haki

Old Jan 31st 2001, 2:56 pm
skg

Hi Shawn, I applied for Canadian immigration in April 1996 through the Riyadh office. At
that time I was working in Kuwait as a network administrator. I successfully applied under
the category of "Systems Analyst". My interview was waived and it took me 16 weeks from
applying to receiving the visa. Good luck, S K Ghori.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi... Do we have any successful applicants who are Systems or Network Admins and applied
> as Computer Engineers or Systems Analysts and cleared
thru.
> I'd appreciate replies from either successful or unsuccessful. Andrew and Jim could you
> throw some light in the situation. Would you advise a Systems Administrator or Network
> Administrator to apply now
or
> wait for the new law to come into effect where they are getting done and away with
> specific Occupation Lists.
>
> Thanks, appreciate the inputs,
>
> Shawn...