Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Originally Posted by Kayb
Tnx guys for all ur comments am expectant and trusting God to do d unusual. Really found ur comments useful. Cheers
Again, how many times have you visited Halifax and what ties do you have there?

Trusting in god is all very well, but if your application will just be rejected then surely it would be better to be more proactive and try and amend your application?!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Trusting in god is all very well, but if your application will just be rejected then surely it would be better to be more proactive and try and amend your application?!
Charlie don't surf and 'Bog' doesn't deal with immigration.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Will they let you change your application once it's in? Her earlier post said she hasn't been but has got some references.

Kayb, maybe you should call or email the NS office & ask them if there is still requirements for the different areas & if so what they are, & ask their advice on what you should do & whether they'll let you change your location.

To be honest it's not really fair because the RDA would've told the applicant not to waste their time applying for Halifax because they won't get in, there's no-one giving that initial advice now.

It's sounds as though they are replacing this stream with something else so even if you do get rejected you might be able to apply via that, just make sure you meet the minimum requirements next time.

Last edited by confused_uk; Jun 19th 2013 at 8:41 am.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Kayb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Will they let you change your application once it's in? Her earlier post said she hasn't been but has got some references.

Kayb, maybe you should call or email the NS office & ask them if there is still requirements for the different areas & if so what they are, & ask their advice on what you should do & whether they'll let you change your location.

To be honest it's not really fair because the RDA would've told the applicant not to waste their time applying for Halifax because they won't get in, there's no-one giving that initial advice now.

It's sounds as though they are replacing this stream with something else so even if you do get rejected you might be able to apply via that, just make sure you meet the minimum requirements next time.
Thanks wil try what u mentioned and see if they let me change to Annapolis/digby i like d community too.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayb
Thanks wil try what u mentioned and see if they let me change to Annapolis/digby i like d community too.
Kayb, if you haven't even visited NS then you might as well cancel your whole application and save the money. You're simply not eligible for the CIS, regardless of the area, unless you've visited at least twice.

You just can't build the 'community connections' they're looking for without visiting, that's the whole point of the program!

Changing areas will make no difference if you've not set foot in NS and got letters from people you've actually met there. They want people that are committed to the province and you're not showing that if you haven't even visited.

Cancel your application and get a couple of trips booked ASAP would be my advice, or look at another visa route.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Kayb, if you haven't even visited NS then you might as well cancel your whole application and save the money. You're simply not eligible for the CIS, regardless of the area, unless you've visited at least twice.

You just can't build the 'community connections' they're looking for without visiting, that's the whole point of the program!

Changing areas will make no difference if you've not set foot in NS and got letters from people you've actually met there. They want people that are committed to the province and you're not showing that if you haven't even visited.

Cancel your application and get a couple of trips booked ASAP would be my advice, or look at another visa route.

Good luck.
Her application isn't costing her anything at the moment so couldn't just leave it & see what happens or would being rejected have an impact on applying again?

Kayb, either locations matter right now or they don't, if they do & your references are from the Halifax area then that wouldn't be any good for the Annapolis/Digby area. If you haven't been to NS you probably don't stand much of a chance, you should explain your situation to them, maybe if you can arrange a trip there ASAP they'll let you update your application. If you do genuinely want to move to Nova Scotia then it wouldn't be a wasted trip even if they don't let you update it

Last edited by confused_uk; Jun 24th 2013 at 9:47 am.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Jaydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy days, assessment number has come through.

As mentioned by someone else up thread, a small step in the right direction!

Apparently they, Immigration Office, are four officers down at the mo so we've been told it may take a little longer than usual.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:26 am
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point

There is so much knowledge on this forum regarding the CI stream I would really appreciate your opinion on my situation.

My partner and I want to settle in Nova Scotia preferably in a Halifax suburb. I have the 1 year working holiday visa and we fly over in August to start our life there. I say "we" but it should be officially "I" as my partner works offshore on a 4 week rotation and will continue to do so, so will only "visit".

As my work experience is not that extensive yet, the earliest I could apply for the Skilled Worker PNP (if I qualify) is after 7 months. So I was thinking of going for the safe route of Community Identified but since Halifax is apparently almost impossible to get into (if conditions for new CI stream stay the same) is it possible to apply for CI for a different region considering that I will actually live in HRM? They could say "well why do you live in HRM atm if you want to settle in Cape Breton?". Or will that not be an issue? We could also put my partner as the main applicant if that helps as he will not have any "tracks" yet. Or should we settle right away in a region where we might have better eligibility such as Cape Breton or Annapolis Valley etc.?

It is not our intention to cheat or anything at all! We just reaaaaallly want to get PR as so many here and preferable as quick as possible to settle and buy a house. So far we have no "reccie" trips but could possible do a reccie "trip" to our CI region and build a network every weekend once we live in NS

Any comments and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fcbayern
There is so much knowledge on this forum regarding the CI stream I would really appreciate your opinion on my situation.

My partner and I want to settle in Nova Scotia preferably in a Halifax suburb. I have the 1 year working holiday visa and we fly over in August to start our life there. I say "we" but it should be officially "I" as my partner works offshore on a 4 week rotation and will continue to do so, so will only "visit".

As my work experience is not that extensive yet, the earliest I could apply for the Skilled Worker PNP (if I qualify) is after 7 months. So I was thinking of going for the safe route of Community Identified but since Halifax is apparently almost impossible to get into (if conditions for new CI stream stay the same) is it possible to apply for CI for a different region considering that I will actually live in HRM? They could say "well why do you live in HRM atm if you want to settle in Cape Breton?". Or will that not be an issue? We could also put my partner as the main applicant if that helps as he will not have any "tracks" yet. Or should we settle right away in a region where we might have better eligibility such as Cape Breton or Annapolis Valley etc.?

It is not our intention to cheat or anything at all! We just reaaaaallly want to get PR as so many here and preferable as quick as possible to settle and buy a house. So far we have no "reccie" trips but could possible do a reccie "trip" to our CI region and build a network every weekend once we live in NS

Any comments and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Do you have a job offer? I don't think you'll be able to apply through the CI stream if you do
Old Jun 28th 2013, 9:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a job offer? I don't think you'll be able to apply through the CI stream if you do
I can't see anything about that in the application guide - are you sure?

http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/site...Guide_CI_0.pdf
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
I can't see anything about that in the application guide - are you sure?

http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/site...Guide_CI_0.pdf
Under the 'who can apply' section in the guide it says something about you can't apply through this route if you qualify for any other route & if she already has a job offer then she might qualify through the skilled worker route. I could be wrong though & misunderstood the wording
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Under the 'who can apply' section in the guide it says something about you can't apply through this route if you qualify for any other route & if she already has a job offer then she might qualify through the skilled worker route. I could be wrong though & misunderstood the wording
I can't find it now but I'm sure I read it somewhere while doing my application
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Found it

The Community Identified candidate cannot be eligible for any other NSNP streams in order to apply to this category.

Taken from the NS immigration website
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right confused_uk but I don't have a job offer. I only have a one year temporary work permit (IEC). Even if I had a job offer I don't qualify for the Skilled Worker route as I don't fulfill the other Skilled Worker requirements (yet) as I do not have enough work experience.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fcbayern
You are right confused_uk but I don't have a job offer. I only have a one year temporary work permit (IEC). Even if I had a job offer I don't qualify for the Skilled Worker route as I don't fulfill the other Skilled Worker requirements (yet) as I do not have enough work experience.
Ok then, it doesn't matter that you will be living in Halifax as long as you visit the area you want to put down & get references from the locals. Also helps to get to know the area so you can state why you wish to move there & what you can offer the community.

It wouldn't be wise to send the application before you go as you could possibly be rejected for never having been there. Also there's no guarantee how long the application would take so you might have to consider that if it takes longer than a year you'll have to go home & come back again unless you can extend your visa somehow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.