Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:11 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Received not 5 minutes ago:

(from an individual at
Regional Planning and Development
NS Department of Economic
and Rural Development and Tourism)

Dear Mr. Wbexpat[my amendment],
Further to our telephone conversation today.
The province of Nova Scotia ran the program you referred to as Community Identified Immigration, under the auspicious[sic] of and funding from the federal government. Those funds, supporting that project, have not been offered this year.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more

That's strange.. there is no mention of that on the website, though they do identify other streams that are no longer supported.

http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/immi...igrating-to-ns
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:29 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
That's strange.. there is no mention of that on the website, though they do identify other streams that are no longer supported.

http://novascotiaimmigration.ca/immi...igrating-to-ns
It's been a strange week, Siouxsie.

The information I have is from somewhere deep in the bowels of the NS government. I have a few other rocks I can look under, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

My guess is anyone already under NSPNP-CI will be allowed to proceed, but it sounds like curtains for anyone new.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Vwera is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey All, it's been a while I commented on here but I have been reading! I am on here for hours some days just reading other's experiences. We finally completed our required number of recce trips and submitted our application to NS on the 2nd of April. I am really worried about the NS PNP CI ending. What happens to fresh applications? Does anyone have any new info? Cheers and good luck to all!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:12 am
Truro NS

Originally Posted by Vwera
Hey All, it's been a while I commented on here but I have been reading! I am on here for hours some days just reading other's experiences. We finally completed our required number of recce trips and submitted our application to NS on the 2nd of April. I am really worried about the NS PNP CI ending. What happens to fresh applications? Does anyone have any new info? Cheers and good luck to all!
Hi
Sorry if I alarmed you.
Today I called NS Immigration and they said they *are* still accepting NSPNP-CI but they don't know how long for. So I'm hearing 2 different things. Best to sit tight and keep a sharp eye out for confirmation that your application has been received. Everyone I've spoken to is either on tenderhooks or seems confused. It sounds like the decommissioning of the RDAs and CI hasn't been handled entirely cleanly.
I am trying to find out more.
I am going to head down to NS Immigration tomorrow in Halifax ( I work near there ) and I will try and find out more. I will share what I find out.
Good luck everyone.
wbx

edit:
While Im here, I note Vwera mentioned "required number of recce trips". There is no required number as such, I don't think. It's whatever seems reasonable I suppose to show commitment. I came on two.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Hi
Sorry if I alarmed you.
Today I called NS Immigration and they said they *are* still accepting NSPNP-CI but they don't know how long for. So I'm hearing 2 different things. Best to sit tight and keep a sharp eye out for confirmation that your application has been received. Everyone I've spoken to is either on tenderhooks or seems confused. It sounds like the decommissioning of the RDAs and CI hasn't been handled entirely cleanly.
I am trying to find out more.
I am going to head down to NS Immigration tomorrow in Halifax ( I work near there ) and I will try and find out more. I will share what I find out.
Good luck everyone.
wbx

edit:
While Im here, I note Vwera mentioned "required number of recce trips". There is no required number as such, I don't think. It's whatever seems reasonable I suppose to show commitment. I came on two.
Hi Wbexpat, I honestly don't know what to think! I think they still want to do the CI route but don't know how since no RDAs to identify. Perhaps they are still working out how best to continue.
Whatever information you can squeeze out of them will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for going out of your way.
About 'required number of recce trips' the different RDAs had their different requirements. Ours wanted 3 visits but at leat 2 if you could prove your adaptability very effectively. I guess some other RDA's prob left it open.
We really want this so it will all work out just fine!
Good luck to everyone!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:44 pm
Truro NS

Hi Wbexpat, I honestly don't know what to think! I think they still want to do the CI route but don't know how since no RDAs to identify. Perhaps they are still working out how best to continue.
Whatever information you can squeeze out of them will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for going out of your way.
About 'required number of recce trips' the different RDAs had their different requirements. Ours wanted 3 visits but at leat 2 if you could prove your adaptability very effectively. I guess some other RDA's prob left it open.
We really want this so it will all work out just fine!
Good luck to everyone!
Here's my latest info.
This is by no means gospel, since nobody seems to completely know whats going on.

So far I've heard the RDAs are being shut down, leading the RDAs to conclude that they can't sponsor folks via CI any more as there is nobody to sponsor them. They have passed this on to folks looking to the RDAs for CI opportunities. I suspect they did so in error.

Then I've heard from NS Economic Development that the CI route was funded by the feds, but the fed $ tap was turned off for this year. No funding no CI program. But again, this might merely mean they are taking CI until the funding from last year expires. Who knows. Maybe their year ends April 30.

Then I've heard from NS Immigration (probably the most reliable source) that CI is still being offered as it's still on the website - the only difference being the letter of recommendation from the RDA is no longer a requirement since its now impossible to get one. Meanwhile someone else from the same department said my friend needed a job offer (implying skilled worker was now the preferred route) however she may simply have been at cross purposes.

My friend also talked to an immigration lawyer and he seems as bemused as everyone else. Now a couple of local politicians are getting involved because they are hearing folks are being given conflicting stories by the various agencies.

My friends are going to shove in a CI pack tomorrow just to see what happens. They had all the paperwork knocking around and chucked one together with the logic "if it fails, it's cost nothing". Meanwhile they are pressing ahead on other fronts too just in case.

I think the pattern emerging so far for today is:

(a) CI is still alive. Just. But it might not be for long. Or will it. Probably. Or something.
(b) Don't deal with the RDAs. Deal with NS Immigration.
(c) By all means put a NSPNP-CI pack together just like you would before, just without the letter of recommendation from the RDA.
(d) Send the pack to NS Immigration in Halifax, just as you would before, but expect the CI to disappear soon. Or not. Potentially. See (a).

In the case of my friends they got support letters from everyone they could think of and bunged copies in with the pack. Just to be on the safe side. I have never seen such a belt and braces application in my life. Looked like a phone directory. Nothing was left to chance.

I will actually be down there tomorrow and I'll try and get something more concrete.
Couldn't go today due to helping them prep the pack.

Last edited by wbexpat; Apr 11th 2013 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Wow!!! I guess we all just have to pray and keep our
The RDAs have indeed been shut down. That much I know cos the lady at the RDA that gave us the letter of identification is out of her job now because her RDA was shut down!
I think your friends did the right thing! Do they already live in NS perhaps on a work permit or they are just visiting?
When we heard they were shutting down at the end of March, my hubby jumped on a plane and headed to NS but couldn't submit till 2nd of April due to the Easter hols.
I am crossing my fingers for us and your friends. I do hope we get a letter acknowledging receipt of our applications soon!
Best of luck!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:13 pm
Truro NS

Wow!!! I guess we all just have to pray and keep our
The RDAs have indeed been shut down. That much I know cos the lady at the RDA that gave us the letter of identification is out of her job now because her RDA was shut down!
I think your friends did the right thing! Do they already live in NS perhaps on a work permit or they are just visiting?
When we heard they were shutting down at the end of March, my hubby jumped on a plane and headed to NS but couldn't submit till 2nd of April due to the Easter hols.
I am crossing my fingers for us and your friends. I do hope we get a letter acknowledging receipt of our applications soon!
Best of luck!
Friends are already here on a work permit.
A "Canadian Experience" class application failed on a technicality.
Can't reapply under CE because experience has to be in the last 3 years whereas the application too 9 months to fail, so their experience is no longer current. What a gyp. Anyhoo, CI is usually the weapon of choice for folks like this who have fallen through the cracks and it would be a tragedy if CI were to go away for this very reason.

You crossing of fingers is very much appreciated and is I am sure reciprocated. Cheers and good luck to you too.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

They are already integrated into the society so it should work perfectly for them! IMO, it should be automatic for people who have been on TWP for at least a year? It just makes sense.
Anyway, the waiting game begins!
Thanks for your time
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jaydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my two pennies worth, but we managed to get our RDA letter at the end of March, just before they closed the office. We are, our immigration chap, about to send our application to NS Immigration. He's implied no one really knows what's happening now with regards to getting a letter of recommendation. If you have a letter we were told that you can continue with your application. I'm just glad we got in in time! I'll update if I hear anything.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:51 pm
Truro NS

All:

Here's the scoop. I was at NS Immigration this morning and have been talking to them and emailing folks from the local (ex)RDA, the local politicians, folks in immigration etc. A coherent message is finally emerging.

Here it is, as I understand it and after much research:

The NCPNP CI stream is currently still up and running.
If you want to apply you should do so ASAP.
Before you do, please give NS Immigration (Halifax) a heads-up call/email, to tell them you intend to send a CI pack and weren't able to get the letter of recommendation from the RDA.
They will accept applications MINUS the RDA latter.
If you can get letters from the local community though, that cannot hurt.
Once your application is in, it is "date-stamped" and goes to the "in tray".
It will take a couple of weeks to get visually inspected and a case number issued.
You will then get emailed with the case number.
It's then 6/8/10 weeks to get the application properly screened by NSPNP. If its all good you will get a letter to say you will be nominated.
NSPNP then send you further instructions about how to take apply to the feds, and they enclose coloured stickers for your federal application to denote their support.

NSPNP say they will continue to accept applications until May 31 2013.
After that CI will disappear, apparently to be replaced by something that takes into account local job markets but Ive no info about that.

But if you get your application in before May 31, it gets date stamped and its "in the in-tray". Anything after May 31.... could be bad. So don't hang about.

This is the date to sear into your minds: MAY 31 2013.

Don't hang about.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Great stuff!!! Thanks for taking time out to dig out all this info. It's a good thing we have all put in our applications so we are good!
For those out there who have done recces, even if its just one, put your application together ASAP!!! And submit!
If you already live and work in NS perhaps on a TWP, put your application in ASAP!
Good luck to everyone!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydog
Just my two pennies worth, but we managed to get our RDA letter at the end of March, just before they closed the office. We are, our immigration chap, about to send our application to NS Immigration. He's implied no one really knows what's happening now with regards to getting a letter of recommendation. If you have a letter we were told that you can continue with your application. I'm just glad we got in in time! I'll update if I hear anything.
Hi Jaydog,
I suggest you send in your application ASAP! Anything can change at anytime. If your application is not in, it is not in. It wouldn't matter if you have a letter of recommendation. Once it gets to them, then you are truly in! Cheers and good luck
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Jaydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Thanks Wvera, we're due to hassle our immigration guy in Halifax as he has done the draft, think we need to get a wriggle on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.