Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Kayb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

We will like to go with halifax for now since its like the urban center. Thanks for all your tips confused_uk
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream is no more after May 31 2013

Originally Posted by Kayb
We will like to go with halifax for now since its like the urban center. Thanks for all your tips confused_uk
You know that Halifax is incredibly tough and that you need to prove years of ties to the area to get nominated? How much time have you spent in Halifax?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You know that Halifax is incredibly tough and that you need to prove years of ties to the area to get nominated? How much time have you spent in Halifax?
Good point.

Maybe pick a different area, you won't be bound to it you can still go to Halifax. I plan to head to the Annapolis Valley but we will initially go to wherever we can find work. What is it you do? Maybe you can find somewhere with a shortage of people in your occupation, that would make you a more desirable candidate
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Good point.

Maybe pick a different area, you won't be bound to it you can still go to Halifax. I plan to head to the Annapolis Valley but we will initially go to wherever we can find work. What is it you do? Maybe you can find somewhere with a shortage of people in your occupation, that would make you a more desirable candidate
Unless your a disirable candidate or have at least 10 years worth of ties to Halifax, you've got more chance of platting fog than getting in! You'll find it easier to get a nomination for places like east hants and Truro.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

We already sent our letter of intent and indicated on it we are heading to halifax. So what do i do
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Am in finance and account
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We already sent our letter of intent and indicated on it we are heading to halifax. So what do i do
Well what ties do you have to Halifax?? Whether it will be rejected or not will depend on that but you've not said what community ties you've put on your application.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much, everybody here says Halifax is harder but I've not heard anyone say they've been rejected (someone might correct me on that though).

I think that the Halifax RDA wanted more documentation than the other areas & since the RDA's no longer exist it may not be such an issue right now. Where I'm going the RDA wanted 3 references & I only sent 2, nothing has come back saying we need more. I'm not sure the NS gov office are that hot on what the individual RDAs requirements were, their advice to me was to just get the application in with all the important forms & documents, they are aware that since the program is ending people will be sending in applications with missing items like the letter of identification, & that's fine.

Have you been to Halifax? Did you have any references?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I wouldn't worry too much, everybody here says Halifax is harder but I've not heard anyone say they've been rejected (someone might correct me on that though).

I think that the Halifax RDA wanted more documentation than the other areas & since the RDA's no longer exist it may not be such an issue right now. Where I'm going the RDA wanted 3 references & I only sent 2, nothing has come back saying we need more. I'm not sure the NS gov office are that hot on what the individual RDAs requirements were, their advice to me was to just get the application in with all the important forms & documents, they are aware that since the program is ending people will be sending in applications with missing items like the letter of identification, & that's fine.

As said above, Halifax require connections going back years, so anybody applying there will need numerous visits and lots of community connections.

Asking if Kayb has visited Halifax is a bit odd, the whole point of the CIS is that it has to be somewhere you've visited at least twice (or more in Halifax's case) and got letters from people in the community there!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 16th 2013 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

We had a meeting with the Halifax RDA in 2009 and was turned down due to not having any longstanding ties to the community, the lady made it quite clear that when they say "ties to the community they mean at least 10 years" eg people that have family there or ex military. Like I said we found the other surrounding areas more relaxed on the amount of time you have spent in there communities.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As said above, Halifax require connections going back years, so anybody applying there will need numerous visits and lots of community connections.

Asking if Kayb has visited Halifax is a bit odd, the whole point of the CIS is that it has to be somewhere you've visited at least twice (or more in Halifax's case) and got letters from people in the community there!
I know that but there's a few people who seemed use this stream as a way in without having much experience of NS, so I'm just asking her what her situation is.

Like I said, they are aware that the people applying now have had to do so in a rush & might not meet all the requirements, they may overlook some things or may ask for extra information, everything is a bit up in the air. Without the RDAs the NS immigration office might not be too concerned where in the province people want to settle just that they would make a good candidate for the province in general. She has already applied so there's not much she can do about it now
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

We had a meeting in Halifax with a lady called Robyn Webb!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smudger75
We had a meeting with the Halifax RDA in 2009 and was turned down due to not having any longstanding ties to the community, the lady made it quite clear that when they say "ties to the community they mean at least 10 years" eg people that have family there or ex military. Like I said we found the other surrounding areas more relaxed on the amount of time you have spent in there communities.
Fair enough, I'm not saying Halifax isn't harder just that the situation has changed slightly. In hindsight it would have been better for her to have put a different area down but what's done is done. I'm just saying she might still be in with a chance because of what's happening right now, they might have relaxed the previous rules a little. This is just my opinion though from speaking to the woman at the NS office
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Fair enough, I'm not saying Halifax isn't harder just that the situation has changed slightly.
Halifax has always been much, much harder than other RDA's and I can't see that changing. Normally a couple of visits will suffice, but not with Halifax - they want evidence going back a decade or so!!

Community ties still need to be shown, regardless of the changes to the program and the RDA's being done away with. Without proof of community ties an applicant will just be rejected, regardless of how employable or strong a candidate is. Each area has their own requirements for how long standing those ties need to be, but Halifax is notoriously difficult.

Several years of working for a Halifax based immigration consultant, and we never had a client with good enough connections to apply via Halifax!

Hopefully Kayb has the ties required and she'll be fine though.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 16th 2013 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tnx guys for all ur comments am expectant and trusting God to do d unusual. Really found ur comments useful. Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.