Is this normal?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

MarkS is on a distinguished road
Default Is this normal?

Hello,

I applied for PR via the 'in Canada-spousal' route. I also included in the application an application to renew my work visa here.

Is it normal for in Canada cases that they do not sent you an AOR? I know I have been only waiting 2 months but my work visa is due to run out in a month and i'm starting to worry (about the work visa not PR). The CIC site says 48 days for renewal of work permit but I have already waited 60 days. What could be the hold up? Am I likely to get any case specific answers if I call the CIC call center?

Cheers

MarkS
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:53 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this normal?

The application to renew your work visa should have been in a separate mailing because the Inland spousal application goes to a different section in Vegreville where it just sits pending consideration of the PR application.

Originally Posted by MarkS
Hello,

I applied for PR via the 'in Canada-spousal' route. I also included in the application an application to renew my work visa here.

Is it normal for in Canada cases that they do not sent you an AOR? I know I have been only waiting 2 months but my work visa is due to run out in a month and i'm starting to worry (about the work visa not PR). The CIC site says 48 days for renewal of work permit but I have already waited 60 days. What could be the hold up? Am I likely to get any case specific answers if I call the CIC call center?

Cheers

MarkS
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The application to renew your work visa should have been in a separate mailing because the Inland spousal application goes to a different section in Vegreville where it just sits pending consideration of the PR application.
Really? The guide for inland spousal said that if I needed to renew my work visa that I should incude it with my application.

From page 27 of the guide:

You can apply for both an extension of your temporary resident status and permanent residence status at the same time. If you choose this option, complete both an application to extend your status and an application for permanent residence. Be sure to include bothapplications and all the supporting documents and fees that are required in the same envelope.

I have only 38 days left on my visa. Will I be able to call them and get them to process my work visa? If I don't get a visa, I will have to leave Canada and my in Canada PR application will be defunct.

MarkS

Last edited by MarkS; Nov 23rd 2004 at 2:06 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:26 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they have finally changed their procedures because a number of applicants found themselves waiting for extensions that did not come when both applications were included in the same envelope. We were even told not todo that by the CIC supervisor some time ago.

In any case, because you have submitted the application you have what is called "deemed status". That is you can continue working until they say otherwise and they won't of course. Steady as she goes for now and be patient.

Really? The guide for inland spousal said that if I needed to renew my work visa that I should incude it with my application.

From page 27 of the guide:

You can apply for both an extension of your temporary resident status and permanent residence status at the same time. If you choose this option, complete both an application to extend your status and an application for permanent residence. Be sure to include bothapplications and all the supporting documents and fees that are required in the same envelope.

I have only 38 days left on my visa. Will I be able to call them and get them to process my work visa? If I don't get a visa, I will have to leave Canada and my in Canada PR application will be defunct.

MarkS
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Jim.

I spoke to a very nice lady at the CIC call center and she advised me that indeed my visa extension is sitting in a queue with my PR application. She also told me that I had 'implied status' which in effect is the same as 'deemed status' that you mentioned.

She advised me to re-apply for my work visa with a letter explaining the situation and a copy of my original payment reciept and it should be processed in 48 days of receipt.

I'm kicking myself as my instinct was to send the applications separately but in the end I was won over by the paragraph on page 27 of the guide. Oh well live and learn.

Cheers again Jim
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:40 pm

One has to go with the guide but when they are not well thought out problems arise. You were never in any danger of losing your status thankfully so not a fatal problem.

Cheers Jim.

I spoke to a very nice lady at the CIC call center and she advised me that indeed my visa extension is sitting in a queue with my PR application. She also told me that I had 'implied status' which in effect is the same as 'deemed status' that you mentioned.

She advised me to re-apply for my work visa with a letter explaining the situation and a copy of my original payment reciept and it should be processed in 48 days of receipt.

I'm kicking myself as my instinct was to send the applications separately but in the end I was won over by the paragraph on page 27 of the guide. Oh well live and learn.

Cheers again Jim
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
One has to go with the guide but when they are not well thought out problems arise. You were never in any danger of losing your status thankfully so not a fatal problem.
That's a relief. Thanks Jim.