Newbie - EE related question

Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:25 am
Just Joined

LT0502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie - EE related question

Hi All,

I’m new here and have been ‘lurking’ for a while, searching through previous threads and the Wiki. There’s so much great information on here so thank you very much for all I have learned so far
There are a few things that I am still not sure of and would be really grateful for some guidance with.

We are just in the initial research stages of things really - have yet to take our ILETS and apply for ECA but I have completed the online CRS tool as if we have full marks for IELTS (we are native English speakers).

We would like to move to Vancouver (big ski enthusiasts & have been frequent travellers to this area for a few years). I’m 37 & my husband is 38. I’m a registered dietitian in the NHS (regulated profession) but wouldn’t be planning to register in Canada (I am thinking of working remotely doing freelance UK-based work initially, but ultimately want a career change). It is just the two of us going (no children).

My husband has a degree in Quantity Surveying & Commercial Management with 19 years experience & currently works in a senior management role for a large housebuilder in the UK. He would be looking for a similar role in Canada (NOC 0016).

Neither of us has Canadian work experience or qualifications. Ironically, my dad had Canadian citizenship but he immigrated after I was born and no longer lives in Canada - so no usable link there I don’t think.

Currently I have 442 points on the CRS tool and my husband has 400 which I know are both too low for an ITA. My question is, given that my husband would be the one applying for jobs, should we make him the principle applicant even though my score is higher? As if he were to secure a job offer I believe he could get another 200 points which would take us over the threshold? Covid allowing, were are hoping to go over on a recce/networking trip next year but I am aware he would also need to get over the LMIA hurdle to.

If all else fails, I am also wondering how viable it would be to apply to study (as I want a career change anyway) and go over that way? I think then my husband would be able to get a temporary work permit?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie - EE related question

Hello!

Others will be along to provide you information for the rest of your post but in relation to:
Ironically, my dad had Canadian citizenship but he immigrated after I was born and no longer lives in Canada - so no usable link there I don’t think.

My Dad was born in Ontario and moved to the UK when he was 18, I was able to get my citizenship through him no problem.

Was your Dad born there or elsewhere?

Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Hello!

Others will be along to provide you information for the rest of your post but in relation to:
Ironically, my dad had Canadian citizenship but he immigrated after I was born and no longer lives in Canada - so no usable link there I don’t think.

My Dad was born in Ontario and moved to the UK when he was 18, I was able to get my citizenship through him no problem.

Was your Dad born there or elsewhere?
Hi, thanks for your reply. He was born in the UK (unfortunately for me!).
I did try the ‘are you a citizen’ tool on the government website but it said I was unlikely to be.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 11:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

Personally I would suggest you both apply and have profiles. At 442 your points aren't that far off the usual requirement, and you never know if it may drop - you'd kick yourself if it did and you weren't in the pool! And your husband could then be in the pool too in hopeful anticipation of a job offer. If you can break your points down for us, then we can see if you can get your points up anywhere too.

A study permit is a good idea, if you have the funds and have no other route, but if you can get PR yourselves and then study it would be far preferable (and cheaper as then you'd pay local tuition fees rather than international!).

And don't forget the PNP, that may be an easier route than a LMIA for your husband. What's your actual NOC code?
Old Dec 7th 2020, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Personally I would suggest you both apply and have profiles. At 442 your points aren't that far off the usual requirement, and you never know if it may drop - you'd kick yourself if it did and you weren't in the pool! And your husband could then be in the pool too in hopeful anticipation of a job offer. If you can break your points down for us, then we can see if you can get your points up anywhere too.

A study permit is a good idea, if you have the funds and have no other route, but if you can get PR yourselves and then study it would be far preferable (and cheaper as then you'd pay local tuition fees rather than international!).

And don't forget the PNP, that may be an easier route than a LMIA for your husband. What's your actual NOC code?
Hi Christmasoompa, thanks for your reply.

I hadn't realized we were both able to have a profile for EE. That sounds like a good idea. Also a very good point about the international study fees which I hadn't really factored in. We would have to sell our UK home to make that a realistic option - not really ideal!

I will look into the PNP in more detail - it went over my head a little bit when I first read it, but will study it a bit more closely if that could be easier than LMIA (or at least a potential option).

My NOC code is 3132 (skill type A). Apologies as I can't seem to copy & paste directly so will type out the CRS summary below:

Core/Human Capital Factors
Age = 60
Level of Education = 126
Official Language = 128 (first language - no second language)
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal = 314

Spouse factors
Level of education = 9
1st Language = 20
Canadian work experience = 0
Spouse factors = 29

Skills transferability
Education:
A) official language & education = 50

Foreign work experience
A) official language proficiency & foreign work experience = 50

Total skill transferability = 100
Additional points = 0

CRS total = 443

Just a question on the education/ECA front - turns out my husband also has an HNC/HND (he can't remember which!) in construction that he took at college before he did his degree. I therefore selected the 'two certificates' option for him under education - not sure if this would be right though? (and only seems to have given me another 1 point). He has other professional qualifications that he's done since his degree (e.g. NEBOSH) - can these be assessed through ECA too?

I also have some education other than my dietetics degree. I have a higher education certificate from a year at uni before I trained as a dietitian (only did 1 year before dropping out - hence only have a 'certificate of higher education') and I have also done some masters modules whilst working as a dietitian (havent completed the whole MSc as yet though). Would there be any chance these could count as well? (frantically grappling for a few more points ;-))

Thanks very much for your help.