Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

new skilled worker category (red seal)

new skilled worker category (red seal)

Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:27 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new skilled worker category (red seal)

Hi looking for any help to clarify this as the CIC email never responds with anything useful. My husband is a skilled construction electrician and is booked for the electrical exam interview in Toronto on 28th Jan however on looking at the cic website again I cannot see that the permanent residency application still insists on a job offer? Do you know if that is the case? Also is this new "red seal" category if successful resulting in permanent residency also or in a work permit? Thank you for any clarification
Old Dec 17th 2012, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new skilled worker category (red seal)

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
however on looking at the cic website again I cannot see that the permanent residency application still insists on a job offer? Do you know if that is the case?
What 'permanent residency application' are you referring to? With over 50 routes to PR, some do require a job offer, and some don't, but if you can be more specific then hopefully we can help.

Also is this new "red seal" category if successful resulting in permanent residency also or in a work permit?
Do you mean the new Skilled Trades program? If so, that results in PR.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:34 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

hi yes i was meaning the new skilled programme. Does that mean that will take as long to process as current pr routes due to having to do police checks etc? We have our police checks done and my husband is sitting the ielts english test also in january but there does not seem to be the relevant application for it on web yet?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

hi yes i was meaning the new skilled programme. Does that mean that will take as long to process as current pr routes due to having to do police checks etc? We have our police checks done and my husband is sitting the ielts english test also in january but there does not seem to be the relevant application for it on web yet?
It doesn't open until 2nd January, so you can't apply until then anyway. But one of the requirements is that your husband would need to have a certificate of qualification from a province, and nobody yet knows what the process for that will be - Red Seal may or may not be accepted.

So not a lot you can do yet other than keep an eye on the news section of the CIC website and wait for the details. Remember that your police checks will need to be less than 3 months old when submitted as well.

As for timing, nobody can say yet as it's a whole new visa process. But if you assume it'll take around a year or so, as with most routes to PR, that'll probably be close.

HTH.