Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New to Forum and would appreciate some advice

New to Forum and would appreciate some advice

Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Devon pair is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New to Forum and would appreciate some advice

Hi All new to forum so forgive me if i ask some repeated questions

First with regard to sponsoring my spouse how long does the process take?(understand its probably like saying how long is a piece of string!!)
I am a canadian citizen born in uk to Canadian Mother, I have never lived in Canada so how likely is this to be a problem when they process our forms?

Has anyone had any problems when they arrive in Canada with a Canadian citizenship card and a UK passport?.

Also i have just read that we have to have a written statement by friends/relatives to prove our relationship have look on the CIC website and carnt see the form, I dont want to send the application off with things missing or it being written on the wrong form so can anyone shed some light on it.

My partner is a Electrical and Mechanical engineer by trade does Canada recognise this or does he need to do any further training when we arrive in Canada?

With regard to the sponsorship, I am a part time student and home maker and obviously dont work but we have a joint account which my partners earning go into will they accept this as being able to provide proof of being able to support my sponsor? We also have joint savings and equity in our house (once we sell). I also have an aunty and Uncle in Canada where we can stay when we enter Canada until we find somewhere to live should I point this out as well?

Finnally if you all havent run out of patience reading my questions

Does anyone have any info on Prince Edward Island, Likes/ Dislikes, Job prospects etc.

Also We have two dogs which we are taking to Canada what vaciantions or requirements are there in PEI as I have heard that it varies between Provinces.

Many thanks and all answers gratefully accepted feels like we are in a maze at the moment with no sign of the way out
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forum and would appreciate some advice

Originally Posted by Devon pair
Hi All new to forum so forgive me if i ask some repeated questions

First with regard to sponsoring my spouse how long does the process take?(understand its probably like saying how long is a piece of string!!)
I am a canadian citizen born in uk to Canadian Mother, I have never lived in Canada so how likely is this to be a problem when they process our forms?

Has anyone had any problems when they arrive in Canada with a Canadian citizenship card and a UK passport?.

Also i have just read that we have to have a written statement by friends/relatives to prove our relationship have look on the CIC website and carnt see the form, I dont want to send the application off with things missing or it being written on the wrong form so can anyone shed some light on it.

My partner is a Electrical and Mechanical engineer by trade does Canada recognise this or does he need to do any further training when we arrive in Canada?

With regard to the sponsorship, I am a part time student and home maker and obviously dont work but we have a joint account which my partners earning go into will they accept this as being able to provide proof of being able to support my sponsor? We also have joint savings and equity in our house (once we sell). I also have an aunty and Uncle in Canada where we can stay when we enter Canada until we find somewhere to live should I point this out as well?

Does anyone have any info on Prince Edward Island, Likes/ Dislikes, Job prospects etc.

Also We have two dogs which we are taking to Canada what vaciantions or requirements are there in PEI as I have heard that it varies between Provinces.

Many thanks and all answers gratefully accepted feels like we are in a maze at the moment with no sign of the way out
Hi Devon pair,

Welcome to BE.

I noticed that your thread is moving swiftly down the discussion board. I think the reason is (as you probably suspected might be the case) that it is too much for most folk to take a bite at in terms of a response.

Maybe you could say which was your highest priority thing that you want some input on and let people have a crack at that. You can always do separate posts for the various other questions as you go along.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I got a bit carried away!

I think one of the highest priorities if re sponsering my spouse seems that is a big hurdle to cross at the moment

Cheers for the reply anyway

Last edited by Devon pair; Sep 4th 2008 at 10:37 pm. Reason: needed to add more info
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

No, I was a Canadian citizen who hadn't lived in Canada either, not a problem.

My brother travels to Canada this way, but stupidly never declares himself to be Canadian - he keeps the card in his pocket "in case of grief". I can't recommend that - I would declare yourself as Canadian regardless of what passport you use. I know that when I enter the UK on my Canadian passport it's processed as a Canadian entry (i.e. I get the tourist stamp in my passport) but of course it's irrelevant for my actual status in the UK if you see what I mean - if you get a 6mth entry stamp in your "other country" passport, you don't have to leave after 6mths!

It's a while since I did it but I think the friends (employer and solicitor in our case) did their own freeform letters, just something like "I have known Blah and Blah since 1990 in the capacity of blah, and since that time they have always presented themselves as a couple..."

No idea, ask on the main Canada forum.

See other thread, I put "nil" in income box. It's not a requirement to be earning, they realise you'll continue to support yourselves as a couple in the manner that you currently do once you get to Canada.

No idea, ask on the main Canada forum.

Each municipality might have its own dog bylaw which may or may not require rabies vaccination, but there's no requirement to vaccinate your dog for entry to Canada. Of course you can if you want, and it's probably a good idea if your dog is using one of the transport companies as he'll be kennelled with dogs from all over the world... but if you run out of time to sort it out before you come, it's no big deal. You can arrange "Pet Passport" from inside Canada if you need to return to the UK, it takes 6mths to do. More info here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reoly and taking the time to read both threads, your information has really helped, have been trying to find info everywhere amd was a bit worried that they would turn us down on me having no income.

Well i think in the distance I can see the exit sign all be it dimmly lite thanks again !!