Common law sponsorship

Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Devon pair is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Common law sponsorship

Hi all

Have a previous thread but told it had too many questions so here goes on a new one.

Anyone have any info on sponsoring your common law spouse from outside Canada. we both live in the Uk and are looking to move to Canada, One of the ways is for me to sponsor my partner. I Am a part time student and a home maker but we have joint bank accounts and savings, equity in the house and money from our sale of our car, wil this be enough to satisfy CIC?

Any replies most welcome.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law sponsorship

I sponsored my British OH from the UK, and I put down "nil" on the income section (which was a mistake on my part, I did have a small income, so small I forgot about it, but still!)... you don't need to have a certain income level to sponsor your spouse/partner. We also didn't have joint accounts, never have had. There are lots of other ways to convince CIC your relationship is genuine, they're not idiots about insisting on things that some (genuine!) couples just don't have or do...

Where was your other thread? I'll take a look at that and see if I can help.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

ngallo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Devon pair
Hi all

Have a previous thread but told it had too many questions so here goes on a new one.

Anyone have any info on sponsoring your common law spouse from outside Canada. we both live in the Uk and are looking to move to Canada, One of the ways is for me to sponsor my partner. I Am a part time student and a home maker but we have joint bank accounts and savings, equity in the house and money from our sale of our car, wil this be enough to satisfy CIC?

Any replies most welcome.
Hi Devon,

I just recently sponsored my partner from the UK as well. We gathered everything we could think of just to make our case as strong as we could because you would rather has loads of proof then not enough and have it rejected. What you mentioned is a good start so not sure why you are worried? They just want to see that you are living as common law partners sharing all living expenses and have a genuine relationship.

Here is a list of supporting documents we included:
-Banks statements from joint account for a full year showing bill payments, weekly food shopping, vacations, monthly salary, car payments, anything that we payed together. I actually colour highlighted each section.
-any letters addressed to both of us to show same address, it could be any letter
-Joint bill statements, again addressed to both of you
-Supplied copies of our vacation invoices of our trips
-asked 3 friends, and my both my parents to write an acknowledgment of relationship statement letter, saying how they know us and comment about our relationship. My parents got there letters certified by a lawyer in canada, think you need at least 2 to be certified.
-We filled out the common law statement form (statutory declaration) and had it signed and certified in the UK
-included any photos of us on vacation, christmas, and just out with friends.
-both signed a statutory declaration in the matter of intent to return to canada
-proof of beneficiary of one another, we actually didnt have a will or anything to declare on another beneficiary but I did fill out of form at work claiming my partner as beneficiary so it was something.
-Even sent in copies of our boarding passes we had from vacation.

I'm sure there was more but can't remember everything, just included anything you can think of even if they did not ask for it as they only give you a guideline to what include.

Hope this helps
Nicole
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Devon pair is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply all the comments have been noted and thanks for taking the time to write it all down. a lot to do but at least now I can see what is required, CIC website is not the clearest or easiest to se what is required so at least I can see the woods for the trees now.

Cheers
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

ngallo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Devon pair
Thanks for your reply all the comments have been noted and thanks for taking the time to write it all down. a lot to do but at least now I can see what is required, CIC website is not the clearest or easiest to se what is required so at least I can see the woods for the trees now.

Cheers
No worries if you have any other question about supporting documents let me know as I can remember the confusion we felt.

Yes the CIC website is not clear or easy to understand, as it took us about 5 months to finally figure everything out and gather our documents. This might be longer then most but we wanted to get it right.