Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Name change that is not exactly name change

Name change that is not exactly name change

Old Jan 1st 2019, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

mathewpsimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change that is not exactly name change

Hi Friends, my wife changed her name to add mine after marriage.That was before we became PR. Her passport is without the last name. Both her names(first name and last) were in the Given name field and hence her PR docs came without the last name. Subsequently, she changed it in her home country passport, and now in her home country passport,it is as first name and last name separately . However her PR card is as before. She is going to apply for her citizenship now, I see that the field about name mentions - Name as in Immigration docs- which is Given Name -First +Last Name and Surname field - Blank.
Question is - what is the best way to go forward with this?
Opt for correction at citizenship application
OR
While getting the Canadian Passport ?
OR
Any other way?
Please let me know.

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 12:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change that is not exactly name change

Why not simply update her PR card with the correct name before applying for citizenship?
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

mathewpsimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Name change that is not exactly name change

The correction in the home country passport was done after the renewal of the PR card. The PR card itself took about a year in spite of fulfilling the PR obligations. Changing in PR card is also similar timeline as a renewal so we don’t want to go through that pain.