PR Card Email

Old Dec 31st 2018, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Card Email

Hi all,

We both (being me and my partner) got an email today saying:

This letter is to inform you that your photo submission has been received by our office. The photos submitted to this office do not meet the required specifications. Your Permanent Resident (PR) Card cannot be issued without a compliant/acceptable photo.

It then carries on to say they want 2 new photos and to send them to Nova Scotia. We landed in Calgary.

The thing is, we haven't actually applied for our cards yet, we've still got the form that we were given on landing where we have to supply address details etc, so I'm confused where this has come from. They have said if we don't supply photo and address, in 30 days then our PR Card application will be cancelled, which it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still confused where this has come from.

If these are from when we applied for PR, how can they be OK for that, but now they aren't?

Anyone able to shed some light?

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Dec 31st 2018 at 5:52 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Email

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Hi all,

We both (being me and my partner) got an email today saying:

This letter is to inform you that your photo submission has been received by our office. The photos submitted to this office do not meet the required specifications. Your Permanent Resident (PR) Card cannot be issued without a compliant/acceptable photo.

It then carries on to say they want 2 new photos and to send them to Nova Scotia. We landed in Calgary.

The thing is, we haven't actually applied for our cards yet, we've still got the form that we were given on landing where we have to supply address details etc, so I'm confused where this has come from. They have said if we don't supply photo and address, in 30 days then our PR Card application will be cancelled, which it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still confused where this has come from.

If these are from when we applied for PR, how can they be OK for that, but now they aren't?

Anyone able to shed some light?
Sounds like somehow the CBSA guys at the airport sent your stuff anyway. I wouldn't take any chances and supply new photos, could turn into a nightmare if they cancel it......
Old Dec 31st 2018, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Sounds like somehow the CBSA guys at the airport sent your stuff anyway. I wouldn't take any chances and supply new photos, could turn into a nightmare if they cancel it......
They have no address to send the card to, so ultimately it is pointless supplying photos (for the 3rd time) at this stage surely? Just apply for a PR card once I/we actually land and plan to stay for longer than 3 months.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 10:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

They have no address to send the card to, so ultimately it is pointless supplying photos (for the 3rd time) at this stage surely? Just apply for a PR card once I/we actually land and plan to stay for longer than 3 months.
1/ You know that you will require a PR Travel Document to return to Canada directly? Otherwise, you will have to return via a land border with the US>
Old Jan 1st 2019, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1/ You know that you will require a PR Travel Document to return to Canada directly? Otherwise, you will have to return via a land border with the US>
Hi,

Yup we have our PRTD allowing multiple entries covering almost the next 2 years. I'm planning to land again mid Jan/early Feb to look for work and hopefully get things set up provided employment happens.

I'm just confused how the photos were fine, and now they aren't. Just an extra hassle that isn't really necessary.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yup we have our PRTD allowing multiple entries covering almost the next 2 years. I'm planning to land again mid Jan/early Feb to look for work and hopefully get things set up provided employment happens.

I'm just confused how the photos were fine, and now they aren't. Just an extra hassle that isn't really necessary.
How do you know the PR photos were fine? I have processed PR landings at a POE and later found out from IRCC that the photos were not acceptable. This link might help

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ace/photo.html
Old Jan 1st 2019, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
How do you know the PR photos were fine? I have processed PR landings at a POE and later found out from IRCC that the photos were not acceptable. This link might help

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ace/photo.html
We sent photos during the application process, then did them again for our PRTD. Both occasions were accepted without issues.
I'm still not sure what photos they are even using at this point. If they are using the very original photos that we submitted, then I'd imagine they would over 6 months old at this stage, so would be rejected on those grounds. But if they are using from the PRTD, then those were accepted as fine and under a month old. It would be nice to get some form of reason/clarification in these letters.

If I'm in Canada doing the photos, do I still have to get them done by an actual person, or would one of those passport photo machines be ok?
Old Jan 1st 2019, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We sent photos during the application process, then did them again for our PRTD. Both occasions were accepted without issues.
I'm still not sure what photos they are even using at this point. If they are using the very original photos that we submitted, then I'd imagine they would over 6 months old at this stage, so would be rejected on those grounds. But if they are using from the PRTD, then those were accepted as fine and under a month old. It would be nice to get some form of reason/clarification in these letters.

If I'm in Canada doing the photos, do I still have to get them done by an actual person, or would one of those passport photo machines be ok?
Always nice to read links provided by members trying to help. From the link

Your photos must be:

• Taken by a commercial photographer.
  • 50 mm wide X 70 mm high (2 inches wide x 2- 3/4 inches long) and sized so the height of the face measures between 31 mm (1- 1/4 inches) and 36 mm (1- 7/16 inches) from chin to crown of head (natural top of head).
  • Clear, sharp and in focus.
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression (eyes open and clearly visible, mouth closed, no smiling).
  • Taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows, glare or flash reflections.
  • Taken straight on, with face and shoulders centred and squared to the camera (i.e. the photographs must show the full front view of the person’s head and shoulders, showing full face centred in the middle of the photograph).
  • Taken in front of a plain white background with a clear difference between your face and the background. Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tones.
  • Original photos that are not altered in any way or taken from an existing photo.
  • Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last six months)
  • Professionally printed on plain, high quality photographic paper (photos printed at home and photos printed on heavy weight paper are not acceptable)
Old Jan 1st 2019, 2:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

YES. For PR cards the photos used are the ones submitted when you applied.

YES. You need to have the photos done professionally by a commercial photographer, as it states in the link you have been provided with.

NO. You can't use a passport photo machine.

PRTD's are totally different, issued locally.

Do read links provided, they actually help.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

I did read the link, and have done countless times previously during the application process for the photos. I don't recall anywhere it stating the original photo's supplied during the PR process will be used for the PR card, but it does make sense thinking about it.

I'd already said I assumed they were declined due to the age, there is really no need to be snarky in the comments and rude in response. Some passport machines print out on the back basic info, so I wanted to clarify if these could be used instead of finding someone and paying more. In this case, i'll just have them redone in the UK before I land again and then submit the photos and address details at that time.

As always, thanks for clarifying, but maybe consider manners in future, no need to respond as rudely as you both have in this case.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Jan 1st 2019 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the other hand if you had read the link you would have seen that photos have to be taken by a commercial photographer (no mention of passport photo machines in the link) therefore no need to ask the question if a passport photo machine would be ok.
Rude, snarky or other that is your opinion we also have ours and especially when the answer to a further question is in a link previously provided.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I did read the link, and have done countless times previously during the application process for the photos. I don't recall anywhere it stating the original photo's supplied during the PR process will be used for the PR card, but it does make sense thinking about it.
It does actually say this in the wiki article on PR card here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...ding_in_Canada

No intention to be in any way to be 'snarky' - just pointing out the value of the wiki section of this forum as the accumulated knowledge of the many contributors.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd already said I assumed they were declined due to the age, there is really no need to be snarky in the comments and rude in response. Some passport machines print out on the back basic info, so I wanted to clarify if these could be used instead of finding someone and paying more. In this case, i'll just have them redone in the UK before I land again and then submit the photos and address details at that time.

As always, thanks for clarifying, but maybe consider manners in future, no need to respond as rudely as you both have in this case.
No snarkiness given nor intended - and no rudeness either. The written word is sometimes misinterpreted by the beholder - and how it is interpreted is not necessarily how it was written or the sentiment behind it. Perhaps a good idea not to snap at the hand that might process you when you enter Canada next, lol.... that's a joke,

You hopefully understand that it's somewhat frustrating when you give links that supply the answers to the questions asked - and yet the questions continue as if not read.. you would be surprised how many people don't bother to read the links given - so it was a general 'please read links given, they are often helpful' rather than a snide comment aimed at you.. see what I mean by interpretation?

The only reason for submitting photos when you apply for Permanent Residency is for them to have a photo that they retain for their records and a photo for the PR card. This is why if your application has taken longer than normal you are often asked to resubmit photos... if it's any consolation, you are not alone in this - I had to redo mine 3 times.. but then my application did take 5 years..

Photobooths for fun photos or Passports are not the same size and specifications for PR cards - nor are they signed and dated by the commercial photographer on the back.. which the instructions on the website specify... Failure to comply with the requirements will only result in being asked to submit photos again. It's always better to follow the guidelines / requirements when it comes to Immigration matters.

Onwards and upward... not long now and you'll be settled

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 1st 2019 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No snarkiness given nor intended - and no rudeness either. The written word is sometimes misinterpreted by the beholder - and how it is interpreted is not necessarily how it was written or the sentiment behind it. Perhaps a good idea not to snap at the hand that might process you when you enter Canada next, lol.... that's a joke,

You hopefully understand that it's somewhat frustrating when you give links that supply the answers to the questions asked - and yet the questions continue as if not read.. you would be surprised how many people don't bother to read the links given - so it was a general 'please read links given, they are often helpful' rather than a snide comment aimed at you.. see what I mean by interpretation?

The only reason for submitting photos when you apply for Permanent Residency is for them to have a photo that they retain for their records and a photo for the PR card. This is why if your application has taken longer than normal you are often asked to resubmit photos... if it's any consolation, you are not alone in this - I had to redo mine 3 times.. but then my application did take 5 years..

Photobooths for fun photos or Passports are not the same size and specifications for PR cards - nor are they signed and dated by the commercial photographer on the back.. which the instructions on the website specify... Failure to comply with the requirements will only result in being asked to submit photos again. It's always better to follow the guidelines / requirements when it comes to Immigration matters.

Onwards and upward... not long now and you'll be settled
Thanks. It sometimes does come across that people would rather not be answering the question as they deem it stupid, or clearly answered. I know at work they now know me as the 'short' one, as my replies are generally to the point and abrupt, so I tend to come across as a grump when I'm really not.

In this regard, I was seeking clarification as the answer wasn't written per se, on the link given. I'd not thought to check the wiki, and in any event, rules can change so I feel it is always best to check with up to date info given that some of the wiki info is out of date, or unclear, in areas.

In the UK I've had a passport photo machine print out with the machine info (location, company name, date time etc, on the backs). Admittedly, I haven't haven't seen if any still actually do this as I haven't used one for a number of years now. My question was simply asking if a machine, would classify as a commercial photograph if it were to print said info on the backs. In any event, question is now answered.

I don't want to leave a sour feel to this, so whilst I accept no sarky was intended, it might be an idea to clarify this if you are 'reminding' someone to check links if they don't seem to understand something or seek clarification. This isn't the first time I've seen replies come across this way, and is one of the main reasons I don't like using this forum as much as I'd probably like to. It does often seem like people don't like the same/similar questions being asked, or answering something that got answered 4 years ago and may/may not be correct anymore.

Again, thank you for answering.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Jan 2nd 2019 at 4:08 am.