Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My stupidity - police check expiration

My stupidity - police check expiration

Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My stupidity - police check expiration

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Nope you will new ones, CICs crystal ball is out of order, so they don't know if you have been back or not.
Ah, I misunderstood the paragraph about not needing to update the certs if you have not recently lived in the country. I've not lived in the UK for five years.

I'm not sure they'd need to go as far as crystal balls to find that out either, but thanks ;-)

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Mar 28th 2008 at 8:32 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprucemoose
Hi,

But I see some of the police checks are now expiring beyond the three month issue date. (Two have expired, two don't have much longer to go.)

Hi Spruce, can you tell me where it says on the Canadian CIC website that police checks only last 3 months?

I've heard so many conflicting views - 3, 6, 12 months. Bit confused!

Thanks.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
Nope you will new ones, CICs crystal ball is out of order, so they don't know if you have been back or not.
You do have to declare where you have lived, however. Also I'd be surprised if CIC doesn't have access to our passport info. (ie. every POE it's been swiped).
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by websheep
Hi Spruce, can you tell me where it says on the Canadian CIC website that police checks only last 3 months?

Thanks.
I am glad I am not the only one - I can't find the bit about it lasting three months either, but feel like I read it somewhere at some point.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by websheep

Thanks.
Ah, knew I had read it recently - it's here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/intro.asp

"In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over (16 years of age in certain jurisdictions) need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application."

But seems to conflict with the answer on this page - http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...20certificate?

" How long is my police clearance certificate valid?

Your police clearance certificate is valid for a period of one year from the date it was issued. If the validity has expired before your visa is issued you will be requested to provide an updated police certificate from the country you are currently living in. If you have already submitted police certificates from other countries where you have not recently lived you will not have to provide an update.
"
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Ah, knew I had read it recently - it's here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cert/intro.asp

"In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over (16 years of age in certain jurisdictions) need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application."

But seems to conflict with the answer on this page - http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...20certificate?

" How long is my police clearance certificate valid?

Your police clearance certificate is valid for a period of one year from the date it was issued. If the validity has expired before your visa is issued you will be requested to provide an updated police certificate from the country you are currently living in. If you have already submitted police certificates from other countries where you have not recently lived you will not have to provide an update.
"
Note the certificate can't be more than 3 months old (London) when submitted and then it is valid for 1 year after submission. They never usually ask for a new one. You have to be able to read governmentese sometimes.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Note the certificate can't be more than 3 months old (London) when submitted and then it is valid for 1 year after submission. They never usually ask for a new one. You have to be able to read governmentese sometimes.
Ah right thanks, and bollocks, that means I do have to send off for the old style subject access and hope that my accompanying letter explaining I have a right to one, and I don't want to be re-routed to the ACPO pilot scheme works, and doesn't cost me any time.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right thanks, and bollocks, that means I do have to send off for the old style subject access and hope that my accompanying letter explaining I have a right to one, and I don't want to be re-routed to the ACPO pilot scheme works, and doesn't cost me any time.
Just don't tell them it's for immigration purposes. Legally you do not have to give any reason.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just don't tell them it's for immigration purposes. Legally you do not have to give any reason.
Won't they kind of guess at that though as I am applying for it from a Canadian address?

I don't want to apply for it with no letter, only to get the form back later with instructions to use the ACPO form.

We are going to try and get the woman who deals with this stuff at hubby's office to get on to the lawyer on Monday and see if he has any specific guidance.

I am starting to wonder if I should just get both and have done with it so we are covered either way, although it is going to be a right royal pain in the arse trying to get someone on the ACPO list of acceptable type people to sign our photographs as we've not lived there for years but have only been here for seven months.

I asked today what we needed to do in that case, as the form seems to imply there might be an exception for people who live out of the UK and are having difficulty getting someone to sign their photo's, and she actually said that we should just send them to someone we know in the UK.

I've sent off for our FBI stuff today after being fingerprinted yesterday, so I'd just like to get the Brit checks done now so it's all organised.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Won't they kind of guess at that though as I am applying for it from a Canadian address?
The alternative is to make it very clear you have legal rights to the Subject Access form and will not accept any alternative.

You can lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner if they refuse to respond to a Subject Access request. You can also complain to your MP in the United Kingdom (did you go on the overseas electoral register?)

I asked today what we needed to do in that case, as the form seems to imply there might be an exception for people who live out of the UK and are having difficulty getting someone to sign their photo's, and she actually said that we should just send them to someone we know in the UK.

Which is all very well but not everyone has someone in the U.K. they can send them too.

This ACPO fiasco shows in microcosm many of the things that have gone fundamentally wrong in the U.K. under its current leadership.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which is all very well but not everyone has someone in the U.K. they can send them too.

This ACPO fiasco shows in microcosm many of the things that have gone fundamentally wrong in the U.K. under its current leadership.
The whole thing smacks of a quick attempt to make some cash.

Looking through the list again, I don't have anyone who I could easily track down to sign for me, everyone I know in those professions I am related to.

I am filling out the forms now for the old style check and am going to go with your suggestion to make my rights clear. It seems to be the easiest way to go at this point.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

joystens is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gmb
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you look at the FAQs on London's Canadian High Commission website, it says:

How long is my police clearance certificate valid?

http://tinyurl.com/37lple

So your certificates should be valid for 1 year, not 3 months, and you do not need to get updated certificates from places you haven't returned to.

We just got a letter today asking for updated UK police checks, which we had already submitted, but were dated July 31st, and we ultimately submitted our application on December 23rd, so the three months expired and they wanted new ones. Just a dumb mistake and now its going to cost us 2-6 months. This was through family class application, I don't know if the rules are different for Skilled Worker.