Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My stupidity - police check expiration

My stupidity - police check expiration

Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road
Default My stupidity - police check expiration

Hi,

I've gathered police checks from all the various countries I've required them for. Anyway, for various reasons I'm only just getting back to the PR application, and had hoped to send it off in the next couple of weeks. But I see some of the police checks are now expiring beyond the three month issue date. (Two have expired, two don't have much longer to go.)

Question is, should I hold off the PR application until I have them all reissued and therefore all meeting the guidelines (setting me back a further month probably), or will it be OK to put them in along with a note to say updated police checks will be forwarded as soon as we receive them?

It's so frustrating, because we've not even been back to those countries since the police checks were issued. Ultimately I only have myself to blame for this, I know. I'm upset and angry with myself.

Any advice appreciated, even if it isn't what I want to hear.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: My stupidity - police check expiration

Sorry, I should have pointed out that I will be applying directly to London (UK), skilled worker class with arranged employment (already living in Canada on TWP.)
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:16 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

How long do you have left on your work permit? If you've got more than six or seven months, then you've probably got plenty of time to get new checks done and still get your PR processed before the WP expires.

If not, I'd just send it off with your current police checks. Don't bother including a note (they might not notice how old they are!), but apply for new checks in the meantime. Then send those off to add to your application once you get them.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bazzz,

Just over 4 months before WP expires.

Best case scenario is that I can have all the police checks reissued in a month. It could take slightly longer than that, and potentially up to two months. (There is one that drags out quite a bit, as I have to send a form to the Canadian embassy in Germany, which they then send back to me, and I then have to send to Holland for the report, which then takes a very, very long time to come back.)

To add further delay, my partner is away on business, so I can't even send the forms off for another week as he would need to sign them too.

If I send the application off with several outdated police checks (meanwhile send off for updated ones), what's the worst that can happen?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by sprucemoose

If I send the application off with several outdated police checks (meanwhile send off for updated ones), what's the worst that can happen?
I'm not an immigration consultant, but I imagine the worst that can happen is that they'd contact you and say that your police checks are out of date - please send us new ones. Which you'll have in hand already. It looks like exactly the kind of mistake someone could make without realising it.

I don't know anything about your work situation. Are you planning on renewing your work permit? If not, you should give that some serious consideration; you'll need to get your LMO renewed first. If you can get another year on your work permit, you can relax a bit more.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I'd just send it off with your current police checks. Don't bother including a note (they might not notice how old they are!), but apply for new checks in the meantime. Then send those off to add to your application once you get them.
I'm woth bazzz on this one - get in line
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I appreciate the opinions. Hopefully someone will also come along and say they did this without a hitch.

I suppose it does look like another LMO might be in order for WP renewal. The first time around it only took a couple of weeks though, so I hadn't even considered applying for it anytime soon. I thought a month or so in advance would be playing it safe, should we have to.

Where does all the time go?! Seriously, time has flown past and now I'm in a huge panic.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:23 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the opinions. Hopefully someone will also come along and say they did this without a hitch.

I suppose it does look like another LMO might be in order for WP renewal. The first time around it only took a couple of weeks though, so I hadn't even considered applying for it anytime soon. I thought a month or so in advance would be playing it safe, should we have to.
You've still got plenty of time - LMO renewals seem to happen a lot more quickly than applying for new ones, but there's still hoops you have to jump through, so I'd get on with it now. If you get your LMO renewed then you can get a new WP at the border if need be (the usual route is to apply for it via CPC Vegreville).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:54 am
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all

Hi,

I've gathered police checks from all the various countries I've required them for. Anyway, for various reasons I'm only just getting back to the PR application, and had hoped to send it off in the next couple of weeks. But I see some of the police checks are now expiring beyond the three month issue date. (Two have expired, two don't have much longer to go.)

Question is, should I hold off the PR application until I have them all reissued [I]and therefore all meeting the guidelines (setting me back a further month probably), or will it be OK to put them in along with a note to say updated police checks will be forwarded as soon as we receive them?

It's so frustrating, because we've not even been back to those countries since the police checks were issued. Ultimately I only have myself to blame for this, I know. I'm upset and angry with myself.

Any advice appreciated, even if it isn't what I want to hear.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you look at the FAQs on London's Canadian High Commission website, it says:

How long is my police clearance certificate valid?
Your police clearance certificate is valid for a period of one year from the date it was issued. If the validity has expired before your visa is issued you will be requested to provide an updated police certificate from the country you are currently living in. If you have already submitted police certificates from other countries where you have not recently lived you will not have to provide an update.

http://tinyurl.com/37lple

So your certificates should be valid for 1 year, not 3 months, and you do not need to get updated certificates from places you haven't returned to.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

gmb! You have made my day!!

I assumed the Canadian CIC guidelines were solid, so didn't look at the UK CIC website in this instance. Will be taking a tour around their website again today though, to check for any other discrepancies.

You are my shiny star today, and I could kiss you!

Also bazzz, thanks for the info regarding LMO renewals. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:34 pm
gmb
Forum Regular

gmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to allgmb is a name known to all

gmb! You have made my day!!

I assumed the Canadian CIC guidelines were solid, so didn't look at the UK CIC website in this instance. Will be taking a tour around their website again today though, to check for any other discrepancies.

You are my shiny star today, and I could kiss you!

Also bazzz, thanks for the info regarding LMO renewals. Much appreciated.
I'm glad to be able to help for a change, instead of always being the one asking the questions!
Best of luck with it all.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

aquariusvn is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sprucemoose,

can you tell me how did you apply for the criminal check for Holland ?
how long did you have to wait for it ?

I already sent my application to the COVOG last week and didn't have the canadian embassy filled my form. Do you know whether that would cause me any troubles ? (I did that because it was mentioned in the brochure that I might send an incomplete application if it was for immigration.)

thanks
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

The security check took about 6 or 7 weeks to come back from COVOG. I have no idea if skipping the Berlin embassy step is a problem, because I followed those instructions. (Even though it seemed a bit strange!)
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I have just realised that when I was getting our paperwork together for the move to Canada last year (from the US), I applied for police checks.

I've found them and they were issued on May 24th 2007, and we have not been back in the UK since, so will they be acceptable? (PNP application - PR application going to London)

If so, I am absolutely bloody thrilled as the idea of sorting out the subject access/ACPO mess almost has me pulling out my husbands hair
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I have just realised that when I was getting our paperwork together for the move to Canada last year (from the US), I applied for police checks.

I've found them and they were issued on May 24th 2007, and we have not been back in the UK since, so will they be acceptable? (PNP application - PR application going to London)

If so, I am absolutely bloody thrilled as the idea of sorting out the subject access/ACPO mess almost has me pulling out my husbands hair
Nope you will new ones, CICs crystal ball is out of order, so they don't know if you have been back or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.