Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My current Dilemma: Not Authorized to work in Health Service Field Occupations.

My current Dilemma: Not Authorized to work in Health Service Field Occupations.

Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

panic-stricken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My current Dilemma: Not Authorized to work in Health Service Field Occupations.

So, I'm currently working in Canada on Implied status (open work visa), but I'm not authorized to work in healthcare field occupations, and I've been offered some construction/surveying work (temp/part time) for the local healthcare authority.

I really want to cover my back because of i'm waiting on a permanent residence application, so I've just called CIC and feel more confused than before I spoke to them!

I can't quickly change the conditions of my work permit, as I've got a Spousal sponsorship application in along with a previous change of conditions to extend my visa!

At first I was told if i wasn't in direct contact with patients etc it 'shouldn't' be a problem, but then if i was the only thing i could do would be to apply for a LMO.
Its only temporary & part time work so a LMO is out of the question.

I've already taken an immigration medical, but the results are stuck in the 10 month pile, plus the potential employer provides full medical, blood test, chest x rays etc

Is this where i should get an immigration lawyer involved?, Should I leave it up to the employer?

This is the information from the Foreign Workers Manual
''Occupations in which the protection of public health is essential R30(1)(b)
Temporary foreign workers intending to work in a field where the protection of public health is
essential require a medical examination. A work permit cannot be issued to them until they have
passed the immigration medical examination, or still possess a valid medical certificate based on
the most recent medical examination they were required to undergo within the previous 12
months. This applies to the following persons:
• occupations that bring the worker into close contact (more than three hours per day and/or
risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, such as:
♦ workers in the health services fields (e.g., physicians, physical therapists, massage
therapists), including hospital staff and employees, clinical laboratory workers, patient
attendants in nursing and geriatric homes, medical students authorized to enter Canada
to attend university, or health care students authorized to enter under R186(p);
♦ teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children;
♦ domestic workers or live-in caregivers;
♦ workers who provide in-home care to children, the elderly, or the disabled;
♦ day-nursery employees;''

confusing or what?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:13 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My current Dilemma: Not Authorized to work in Health Service Field Occupations.

Originally Posted by panic-stricken
So, I'm currently working in Canada on Implied status (open work visa), but I'm not authorized to work in healthcare field occupations, and I've been offered some construction/surveying work (temp/part time) for the local healthcare authority.

I really want to cover my back because of i'm waiting on a permanent residence application, so I've just called CIC and feel more confused than before I spoke to them!

I can't quickly change the conditions of my work permit, as I've got a Spousal sponsorship application in along with a previous change of conditions to extend my visa!

At first I was told if i wasn't in direct contact with patients etc it 'shouldn't' be a problem, but then if i was the only thing i could do would be to apply for a LMO.
Its only temporary & part time work so a LMO is out of the question.

I've already taken an immigration medical, but the results are stuck in the 10 month pile, plus the potential employer provides full medical, blood test, chest x rays etc

Is this where i should get an immigration lawyer involved?, Should I leave it up to the employer?

This is the information from the Foreign Workers Manual
''Occupations in which the protection of public health is essential R30(1)(b)
Temporary foreign workers intending to work in a field where the protection of public health is
essential require a medical examination. A work permit cannot be issued to them until they have
passed the immigration medical examination, or still possess a valid medical certificate based on
the most recent medical examination they were required to undergo within the previous 12
months. This applies to the following persons:
• occupations that bring the worker into close contact (more than three hours per day and/or
risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, such as:
♦ workers in the health services fields (e.g., physicians, physical therapists, massage
therapists), including hospital staff and employees, clinical laboratory workers, patient
attendants in nursing and geriatric homes, medical students authorized to enter Canada
to attend university, or health care students authorized to enter under R186(p);
♦ teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children;
♦ domestic workers or live-in caregivers;
♦ workers who provide in-home care to children, the elderly, or the disabled;
♦ day-nursery employees;''

confusing or what?
I don't see that it is confusing? You are not going to be in direct contact with any patients - you will be working in construction/surveying capacity for the healthcare authority. You don't need a medical to do this.