Mr. Miller what is your opinion

Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

maja7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr. Miller what is your opinion

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...st977424215855

The article is about the processing times for sponsorship of parents and grandparents which seems that it has grown imensly in the last year.

I would like to hear your opinion on the following paragraph:

"Some observers contend the decision to put applications from parents and grandparents on the back burner has no basis in law. They see this as a legal challenge waiting to happen. All it would take is for one savvy applicant to go to court and say, "Wait a minute, my parents paid nearly $1,500 each when they applied to come to Canada. Why are they at the back of the bus behind spouses and children?""

Do you think all it takes is some sponsor with less patience than others to get the ball rolling? Is there really a legal chalenge?

Also, in the article it mentiones statistics that a lawyer from Vancouver has obtained with regards to every post's quota for the year 2005. Do you know how these statistics can be obtained and are they available for the public?

I hope you have the time to drop an answer. Thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 2:51 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Miller what is your opinion

I have posted quite few comments on this matter many times already and I'm sorry but I don't see any point repeating them.

There is no legal challenge here IMHO - annual immigration targets (quotas) are set to meet needs of Canada and Canadian economy, not the needs of immigrants and those targets are approved by Parliament.

If all waiting parents and grandparents would be allowed in within single year then their number would be several times larger than number of immigrants in economic classes, those who are coming here to contribute to the economy.

Attitude of the government would probably be different if only all sponsors would have complied with their obligations. Unfortunately huge percentage of sponsors default on their undertaking agreement leaving parents to be cared for by Canadian taxpayers (health and social programs). Keep also in mind that there is quite substantial number of "immigrants" who obtained Canadian PR for one reason only - to sponsor their parents and to leave them here while sponsors are leaving and working in US.

Originally Posted by maja7
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...st977424215855

The article is about the processing times for sponsorship of parents and grandparents which seems that it has grown imensly in the last year.

I would like to hear your opinion on the following paragraph:

"Some observers contend the decision to put applications from parents and grandparents on the back burner has no basis in law. They see this as a legal challenge waiting to happen. All it would take is for one savvy applicant to go to court and say, "Wait a minute, my parents paid nearly $1,500 each when they applied to come to Canada. Why are they at the back of the bus behind spouses and children?""

Do you think all it takes is some sponsor with less patience than others to get the ball rolling? Is there really a legal chalenge?

Also, in the article it mentiones statistics that a lawyer from Vancouver has obtained with regards to every post's quota for the year 2005. Do you know how these statistics can be obtained and are they available for the public?

I hope you have the time to drop an answer. Thanks.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Feb 17th 2005 at 3:00 am.