Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr. Miller this really unfair if they raised the pass mark

Mr. Miller this really unfair if they raised the pass mark

Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ashok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Miller this really unfair if they raised the pass mark

I do not believe Quota is proportional to Population of the source country.
If that is true is than Phillipine should not be at number 3, it should be Pakistan. Pakistan has almost 2 times the population of Phillipines.

Rest it is foregone conclusion that India has largest English speaking population next to US ( 10 years ago)
Today India is number 1
( See this : http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/txt/s1363471.htm )

That is the reason India is far ahead of China when it comes to Bussiness process outsourcing or Call centres.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Number of immigrants reflects number of quotas/targets allocated for each country. Such allocation is proportional to country's population. China has the largest population thus the largest number of immigrants. But if you check immigration statistics you'll see that India is second, not far behind China in number of immigrants.

Ashok, please don't get upset again but please tell me why if India has the largest English speaking workforce majority of Indian applicants applying through New Delhi have problems passing IELTS at high proficiency level and most pass test on moderate level?

Why at the same time it is so hard for you to believe that China with 1.4 billion population can have about 10,000 applicants a year in skilled workers class who pass IELTS at fluent level?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:17 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Phillipines numbers are out of proportion for one main reason - majority of Live-in Caregivers in Canada are Phillipinos and after 2 years on the program they are allowed to apply for PR status in Canada - such "conversions" are not included in annual targets.

Ashok, I'm sure that I speak here not only for myself when I say that we all respect yours (and other Indians in this forum) national pride and we all really appreciate it. But this forum is not about national pride and definitely not about what nationals "deserve" more visas and what nationals do not.

Originally Posted by Ashok
I do not believe Quota is proportional to Population of the source country.
If that is true is than Phillipine should not be at number 3, it should be Pakistan. Pakistan has almost 2 times the population of Phillipines.

Rest it is foregone conclusion that India has largest English speaking population next to US ( 10 years ago)
Today India is number 1
( See this : http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/txt/s1363471.htm )

That is the reason India is far ahead of China when it comes to Bussiness process outsourcing or Call centres.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 25th 2005 at 5:38 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

I commend anyone who can speak something other than their maternal language. But have you ever tried speaking to someone in those call centres, once you have to move the subject away from their "script" they are completely lost. There's the ability to speak another language and then there is fluency in another language. One of my previous employers moved their local HR department to a global HR department (not to an English speaking country). It took them 2 months to understand my need for a reference. Just my experiences.

NB This is why CHC insist on TEF and IELTS.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

NO NO NO , somewhere I am being misread.
I am talking about CHC Canada needs and who can fullfill them better than others, if it comes to English speaking. I have seen and talked to prospective immigrants in front of CHC Delhi. Most of them were tractor load of Farmers. That is why I question : What kind of immigrants CIC is seeking and what kind will emerge out if you look at the selection criteria.

India is countries within a country , with so much of diversity and availabilty, CHC can pick up good english speaking prospective immigrants. That is not true if it come to China. Just survey how many guys from Mainland or even HK are on this Forum or any other english forum.

Also I am not talking about quality of Call centre guys, I am talking about who has them most ( India or China), when it comes to serving the needs of West. Why so ? China offers much lower wages than India.

Personally I do visit Mainland China and also Singapore Malaysia as well as Indonesia, I meet a lot of Phillipinos also. Except Chinese all others have a much better Command over English Language.

There is trace of national pride over here, it is just plain and simple question, which I asked, keeping in view what we aim to select and what figure in Monitor speak. If Canada, wants to pick up more and more English speaking guys , they can do so , without spending so called 1b$ TAX PAYERS MONEY in an effort to teach English once these immigrants land in Canada.

Phillipines numbers are out of proportion for one main reason - majority of Live-in Caregivers in Canada are Phillipinos and after 2 years on the program they are allowed to apply for PR status in Canada - such "conversions" are not included in annual targets.

Ashok, I'm sure that I speak here not only for myself when I say that we all respect yours (and other Indians in this forum) national pride and we all really appreciate it. But this forum is not about national pride and definitely not about what nationals "deserve" more visas and what nationals do not.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If Canada, wants to pick up more and more English speaking guys , they can do so , without spending so called 1b$ TAX PAYERS MONEY in an effort to teach English once these immigrants land in Canada.
Perhaps as a multi cultural society, Canada wishes to maintain a balance of different cultures in its immigrant population, rather than saturate it with one particular group in the name of english ability. (Cant see that idea being too popular in la belle provence anyway).

Perhaps they would rather choose top rate technically skilled people from around the world, even if they have second rate English / French, rather than Second rate technically skilled people with first rate English / French

Its much easier to teach skilled people the language than to teach English/French speakers the skills. If the emphasis was on language ability over skills there would be no need for skilled immigrants, Canada would just retrain those already here speaking the language in the technical skills required...in fact if you read the reaction of many Canadians reading the Globe and Mail online to the recent announcment of more money to train immigrants to settle here, thats exactly what most of the ignorant masses would like to see. My suspicion is a lot of that money is intended to get family class and refugee immigrants up and going here, rather than the "economic" refugees anyway.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

hankim2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ashok

I live in a country with diverse ethnic groups including Chinese and Indians. Sorry to tell you, but the English spoken by the many Indians I come across are very heavily accented that comprehending what they say is a big problem. I am sure you could find many Indians who could speak less accented English, but I have also come across many Chinese from Mainland China, HK, Malaysia and Singapore who could speak good English but less accented and more easily understood.

How do we then sieve out these people and give all equal chance (whether from India or Mainland China), it is the ielts.

NO NO NO , somewhere I am being misread.
I am talking about CHC Canada needs and who can fullfill them better than others, if it comes to English speaking. I have seen and talked to prospective immigrants in front of CHC Delhi. Most of them were tractor load of Farmers. That is why I question : What kind of immigrants CIC is seeking and what kind will emerge out if you look at the selection criteria.

India is countries within a country , with so much of diversity and availabilty, CHC can pick up good english speaking prospective immigrants. That is not true if it come to China. Just survey how many guys from Mainland or even HK are on this Forum or any other english forum.

Also I am not talking about quality of Call centre guys, I am talking about who has them most ( India or China), when it comes to serving the needs of West. Why so ? China offers much lower wages than India.

Personally I do visit Mainland China and also Singapore Malaysia as well as Indonesia, I meet a lot of Phillipinos also. Except Chinese all others have a much better Command over English Language.

There is trace of national pride over here, it is just plain and simple question, which I asked, keeping in view what we aim to select and what figure in Monitor speak. If Canada, wants to pick up more and more English speaking guys , they can do so , without spending so called 1b$ TAX PAYERS MONEY in an effort to teach English once these immigrants land in Canada.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Maybe it was just the way I was raised, but I believe that you make your own luck. I have always been taught that if you really want something then you have to work for it - whether a degree, learning French or finding a job when you get here.

I beg to differ that learning French is a waste of time. I was led to believe that in BC you wouldn't need it. I am surprised by how many people I have come across who list French as their first language. Even if you are a tradesman (and nothing wrong with that - an honest job), putting on your business cards that you are French speaking makes you instantly attractive to the French speakers. I was talking to one lady and she was saying that she was fine with everyday situations when it came to speaking English. But when having a technical conversation about something, she only knows the French words. Plus, if you are like me, two sides to a packet, I always end up looking at the French side first.

Originally Posted by iaink
Same would be true if you moved your life from one end of canada to the other without a job to go to. It takes time to catch up, but after 5 years even stats canada concede the gap is gone.

The notourious unemployment, while Im sure it exists in some cases, especially with recognition of medical qualifications and some higher degrees from less well repected countries, is again blown out of proportion by a news hungry media.

As Posidrive says, the bigest single stumbling block is langage skills, and the canadian government spends $multiMs on language skills programs specifically for new arrivals, employing people like my wife to get new immigrants up to speed. They recently announced an expansion to the program to deal with more technicaly oriented langauge skills.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

hankim2
so far I am talking about :

If It is recognised that CIC is asking for SW's with good IELTS & TEF scores than China lacks in that, India has plenty of them.

But it seems despite India being a number 1 or 2 English speaking country , I find Canadian system picking up those who lack in English as well as French. this I saw when I was at CHC Delhi also!

That surprises me : On one side you have a talent pool available but if you pick up those who are least conversant than train them in Canada by spending a large portion of 1 billion $ , than what CIC is upto.

It is differrent story you happen meet less qualified Indians or heavily accented Indians but what CIC Point system wants , it is available in plenty !! But CIC does not seem to be picking them.

Today if you want English speaking trained nurses , well India is again a huge resource and most of them are heading USA. That is my point if you lay emphasis on language than do what you prescribe.

Originally Posted by hankim2
Ashok

I live in a country with diverse ethnic groups including Chinese and Indians. Sorry to tell you, but the English spoken by the many Indians I come across are very heavily accented that comprehending what they say is a big problem. I am sure you could find many Indians who could speak less accented English, but I have also come across many Chinese from Mainland China, HK, Malaysia and Singapore who could speak good English but less accented and more easily understood.

How do we then sieve out these people and give all equal chance (whether from India or Mainland China), it is the ielts.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Andrew
I picked up following figures for Year 2003 IELTS test band results India & (China).

Listening 5.12 (5.34)
Reading 5.74( 5.67)
Writing 6.24 (5.49)
Speaking 6.4 ( 5.42)
Overall 6.14 ( 5.54)

It says which country can offer better English speaking. But it may happen India's IELTS toppers are heading Australia or NZ. I do not know prefrences ,
and China top IELTS for Canada or else ???

Now let us understand if Policy for quota is to be made than one should go for many other stats such as KET - Key english test , PET - Preliminary english test, FCC First certificate in English , CAE - Certificate in advance english,CPE - certificate in proficiency in English , BEC - Bussiness english certificate >> all from From Cambridge.

If you look into all these (good for sustainable growth) than India is far ahead by a factor or 2 to 3 times!.These test tell us overall variety and performance in a bigger spread as well as things from grassroot level.

In some cases India is ahead of Canada too. I think it was FCE , where Grade A scorers from India are 30% , China 4 to 7% , Canada 7 to 10%

I am not mistaken ( Indonesia / Malaysia / Singapore score better than China)
Malaysia is even better than India! I do travel a lot and do meet all these nationalities.

Number of immigrants reflects number of quotas/targets allocated for each country. Such allocation is proportional to country's population. China has the largest population thus the largest number of immigrants. But if you check immigration statistics you'll see that India is second, not far behind China in number of immigrants.

Ashok, please don't get upset again but please tell me why if India has the largest English speaking workforce majority of Indian applicants applying through New Delhi have problems passing IELTS at high proficiency level and most pass test on moderate level?

Why at the same time it is so hard for you to believe that China with 1.4 billion population can have about 10,000 applicants a year in skilled workers class who pass IELTS at fluent level?
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Ashok

Average statistics, even if correct, has its deficiency. Out of the many applicants from China, there could be enough of those with high proficiency in English to fill up Canada's needs such that it is not necessary to get applicants from India.

And if you look at the pass mark selection, if a person has moderate proficiency in English, he gets only 8 points. That will make it difficult for him to qualify even if he and his spouse have master's degrees.

So, I think the system is fairer with quotas for different countries. We certainly do not want Canada to become India II, nor should it be China II.

Andrew
I picked up following figures for Year 2003 IELTS test band results India & (China).

Listening 5.12 (5.34)
Reading 5.74( 5.67)
Writing 6.24 (5.49)
Speaking 6.4 ( 5.42)
Overall 6.14 ( 5.54)

It says which country can offer better English speaking. But it may happen India's IELTS toppers are heading Australia or NZ. I do not know prefrences ,
and China top IELTS for Canada or else ???

Now let us understand if Policy for quota is to be made than one should go for many other stats such as KET - Key english test , PET - Preliminary english test, FCC First certificate in English , CAE - Certificate in advance english,CPE - certificate in proficiency in English , BEC - Bussiness english certificate >> all from From Cambridge.

If you look into all these (good for sustainable growth) than India is far ahead by a factor or 2 to 3 times!.These test tell us overall variety and performance in a bigger spread as well as things from grassroot level.

In some cases India is ahead of Canada too. I think it was FCE , where Grade A scorers from India are 30% , China 4 to 7% , Canada 7 to 10%

I am not mistaken ( Indonesia / Malaysia / Singapore score better than China)
Malaysia is even better than India! I do travel a lot and do meet all these nationalities.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Please look into remarks by Posi & iinik ( both recognise/ support language as biggest stumbling block) and multimillion $ spent by Canada to improve it.

I am saying : Canada does not seems to recognise that at Immigration selection stage. If that was true than they would have picked more from India. India has plenty of IELTS Band 8 also.

Also note there is no debate India vs China , who is better or worse.
It was an observation what CIC wants and what it picks up.

If you visit IELTS web site than it clearly indicates ( Pakistan / India/ Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia/philippine ) all are ahead on IELTS, when you compare them with China.

Also let me correct myself In Listening it is 5.92 India / 5.35 China

If you look into all other Cambridge tests which I listed, India is way ahead. So are other countries when you compare with China.

So it looks CIC has some other logic when it assigns Quota.

Actually to create a self sustaining immigration system , when you allow such immigrants or policies which bring as well as create more immigrant and wealth, is not in place.

Originally Posted by hankim2
Ashok

Average statistics, even if correct, has its deficiency. Out of the many applicants from China, there could be enough of those with high proficiency in English to fill up Canada's needs such that it is not necessary to get applicants from India.

And if you look at the pass mark selection, if a person has moderate proficiency in English, he gets only 8 points. That will make it difficult for him to qualify even if he and his spouse have master's degrees.

So, I think the system is fairer with quotas for different countries. We certainly do not want Canada to become India II, nor should it be China II.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Ashok,

Does the statistics show how many from China have all band 7 and above. May be there are sufficient in numbers to justify more from China. But that's not the point. The point here is diversity. Otherwise, why not more and more from native England, Australia or even other European countries where English is a strong second language (instead of settling for India).

I do believe that if the integrity of the current system is sustained ie no fake degrees, certificates etc, these skilled immigrants will eventually find meaningful work. After all immigrants from China (and India included) have strong work ethics and are "survivors".

Please look into remarks by Posi & iinik ( both recognise/ support language as biggest stumbling block) and multimillion $ spent by Canada to improve it.

I am saying : Canada does not seems to recognise that at Immigration selection stage. If that was true than they would have picked more from India. India has plenty of IELTS Band 8 also.

Also note there is no debate India vs China , who is better or worse.
It was an observation what CIC wants and what it picks up.

If you visit IELTS web site than it clearly indicates ( Pakistan / India/ Singapore / Malaysia / Indonesia/philippine ) all are ahead on IELTS, when you compare them with China.

Also let me correct myself In Listening it is 5.92 India / 5.35 China

If you look into all other Cambridge tests which I listed, India is way ahead. So are other countries when you compare with China.

So it looks CIC has some other logic when it assigns Quota.

Actually to create a self sustaining immigration system , when you allow such immigrants or policies which bring as well as create more immigrant and wealth, is not in place.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

samon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its much easier to teach skilled people the language than to teach English/French speakers the skills. If the emphasis was on language ability over skills there would be no need for skilled immigrants, Canada would just retrain those already here speaking the language in the technical skills required...in fact if you read the reaction of many Canadians reading the Globe and Mail online to the recent announcment of more money to train immigrants to settle here, thats exactly what most of the ignorant masses would like to see. My suspicion is a lot of that money is intended to get family class and refugee immigrants up and going here, rather than the "economic" refugees anyway.

I second what all iaink has written, I for one am a technical person and was told in my school days, when I had taken up science as major to forget the language. When the equation is correct no one will bother in which tense or spelling it was written in.
Now Canada wants Skilled Workers and not literary men, someone who can contribute to the economy of the entry or the general population, and not men sitting in parks debating with the mastery of their words.
Language is a tool for conversation only and the accent is superimposed by local factors. When the accent of the same language varies from North and South in the same country, then how can you expect it to be same for two different countries?
So I think the wording of the new draft/announcement by the CIC should be changed to,- the amount to be paid over the next few years towards increasing or reorienting the skills of the SW to meet the demands of he local market.'
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew
A properly designed immigration system should be able to attract roughly the same number of qualified applicants as the number of visas available on a worldwide basis.

Why should national quotas even enter the picture?

If all you are talking about is processing resources in various CIC offices, then Australia fixed the problem a few years ago by centralising processing in onshore offices dealing with a worldwide caseload. Not only has it delivered great savings in efficiency and improved program control (many fewer "local" policies to contend with) but it's brought jobs back to Australia from overseas.

Jeremy
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
And therein lies some of the biggest problems to the whole points system and the way the entire system works. You get extra points for items that really add nothing to your value to Canada

- Arranged employment. I'm all for that, but surely if you manged to get an approved job there should be an alternative assement system that bypasses all the points stuff. The fact that you have the job surely indicates that Canada needs you.
That's true. Most employers will only recruit from overseas if they really have no alternative. People sponsored for permanent visas by Australian employers can bypass the points system entirely as long as they meet other requirements.

It is not clear why CIC chooses to mix up those sponsored by employers with the general skilled caseload.

- Extra points for being billingual. Makes you more attractive to certain employers in certain parts of the country. Does it really make a trades person more useful. I very much doubt it.
French language ability is a real asset in some parts of Canada outside Quebec (which has its own immigration system). Especially New Brunswick and eastern Ontario (eg Ottawa).

But I would suggest the extra points for being bilingual are less to do with economic attractiveness and more to do with the fact that as Canada is a bilingual country at federal level, Canada would prefer - all things being equal - its immigrants to be bilingual rather than unilingual. And therefore better able to appreciate and participate in a bilingual society.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.