Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada with a cannabis charge

Moving to Canada with a cannabis charge

Old Feb 9th 2022, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Wannagothere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada with a cannabis charge

I am 33 years old and 8 years ago ( aged 24)I was one the stupid few who decided to obtain cannabis via the mail (4 grams)
I was charged with importation of cannabis and fined but not sentenced as this was the only time I had been k trouble for anything of this nature.
I haven’t been in any trouble since and am currently looking in to obtaining a Work visa as I am classed as a skilled worker , although 10 years hasn’t passed would it be smart to apply for rehabilitation as the amount was minimal ?
The phrase ‘importation ‘ is the worst part and I cannot change what has happened .
any advice would be really apprieciated TIA
Old Feb 9th 2022, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada with a cannabis charge

Hi, welcome to BE.

Have you got your ACPO check and if so, what does it say? Did you receive anything (a caution maybe?) even if not sentenced? You’d certainly need rehab to enter Canada from what you’ve said, the question will be if you’re eligible to apply for it.

Also, you say you’re a skilled worker but do you actually have a job offer from a sponsoring employer and LMIA yet? Just wondering how time critical this is?
Old Feb 9th 2022, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Wannagothere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Have you got your ACPO check and if so, what does it say? Did you receive anything (a caution maybe?) even if not sentenced? You’d certainly need rehab to enter Canada from what you’ve said, the question will be if you’re eligible to apply for it.

Also, you say you’re a skilled worker but do you actually have a job offer from a sponsoring employer and LMIA yet? Just wondering how time critical this is?
I am working on gaining a job offer and am currently at interview stages ,
I was charged and fined I’m not sure about a caution .
I really pray that I can apply for Rehab
Old Feb 9th 2022, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wannagothere
I am working on gaining a job offer and am currently at interview stages ,
I was charged and fined I’m not sure about a caution .
I really pray that I can apply for Rehab
OK, so no suspended sentence or similar, just the fine and nothing else? Sounds like you'll be eligible to apply for rehab then if that was your only offence, you'll want to get cracking with it asap though as it can take a while.