Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possibility of: Student > BC Tech Prog > BC PNP > PR

Possibility of: Student > BC Tech Prog > BC PNP > PR

Old Feb 7th 2022, 4:13 am
Just Joined

LoveWalking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibility of: Student > BC Tech Prog > BC PNP > PR

Hi everyone,
Returning to ask more questions.

We are now in Canada settled in BC studying (enjoying). I've started working part time within a tech company. 20 hours per week as per visa conditions, and good for balancing both work and studies. Part of studying in BC is people on student visas pay a monthly healthcare fee (one of my children and myself) So it got me thinking about trying for PR sooner rather than later.

I was planning on studying and then waiting for my post grad work permit to then apply for PR, however I'm wondering if it is possible to apply to apply for BC Tech Program > BC PNP > PR successfully while I am still studying on a study permit, or best to wait to apply when on Post Grad Work Permit?

I've looked around and don't see any similar stories so wonder if these types of changes are often rejected/ not able to to transition from student visa through BC Tech Program > BC PNP > PR?

Would anyone be able to share any insight into the possibility of changing visa types while still on study visa, or if best to wait until PG work permit to try? And if I did try would this jeopardize a later application if it wasn't successful?

Many thanks
Old Feb 7th 2022, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibility of: Student > BC Tech Prog > BC PNP > PR

I believe you are allowed to even apply for multiple routes at the same time, provided you are willing to pay the fees, so no risk to jeopardizing the application later on.

What I have heard is right now PNP applications are very very slow, due to covid staffing shortages. So you might find that the PNP route doesn't save you any time at all because it could be over a year before it's even looked at. But you might want to verify this. How long is the wait until you get your post graduate work permit?

At the end of the day, with that PNP program BC is trying to find people who can work in these roles, and get them settled, and you're interested in that. No harm in that, not like you're trying anything underhanded.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 8:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveWalking View Post
Hi everyone,
Returning to ask more questions.

We are now in Canada settled in BC studying (enjoying). I've started working part time within a tech company. 20 hours per week as per visa conditions, and good for balancing both work and studies. Part of studying in BC is people on student visas pay a monthly healthcare fee (one of my children and myself) So it got me thinking about trying for PR sooner rather than later.

I was planning on studying and then waiting for my post grad work permit to then apply for PR, however I'm wondering if it is possible to apply to apply for BC Tech Program > BC PNP > PR successfully while I am still studying on a study permit, or best to wait to apply when on Post Grad Work Permit?

I've looked around and don't see any similar stories so wonder if these types of changes are often rejected/ not able to to transition from student visa through BC Tech Program > BC PNP > PR?

Would anyone be able to share any insight into the possibility of changing visa types while still on study visa, or if best to wait until PG work permit to try? And if I did try would this jeopardize a later application if it wasn't successful?

Many thanks
Can you just clarify, are you hoping to apply for BC PNP using your current (part-time) job, or is the plan that you'll try and get PR with a full-time job offer and then leave your studies and work full-time instead?
Old Feb 9th 2022, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

I'll be able to apply for my post grad work permit around December 2022.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

I would like to continue to do both really, but change the division of time I allocate per week.
There is plenty of work at my company, so I think they will be keen to offer me a full time role if I express interest. If I can convert my visa to a work visa I can, and plan to continue to study, but do 2 courses per semester instead of 3 or 4. My studies are relevant to my work, and my future plans, and I really enjoy the content, so it will be great to complete my program (due in Dec 2022 or April 2023 depending on how many courses I take per semester). If I change to a work visa sooner, there would be a few benefits 1) no more MSP monthly fees, 2) I potentially could pay local fees instead of international fees for my study program 3) I can work and earn more because groceries here are eye watering and in turn we're living a pretty basic life.

So my initial thoughts are: speak with my company, see if there is an opportunity for a full time job offer > Apply through BC PNP Tech > If Approved - Apply for Open/ Closed (?) work permit, and start Express Entry profile/ or apply for PNP paper based (I need to spend some time to see which would be a better option for our situation)

Last edited by LoveWalking; Feb 9th 2022 at 8:42 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely see the benefit of going full time and earning more money. Keep in mind though that while you might save money on the health coverage, your employer will have to pay $1000 to apply for an LMIA, so they may decide to ding you for that cost or not be thrilled about it. Though perhaps being full time helps with that. Also it will only be approved if you are earning the Mid-High range for your job's NOC code.

I do want to point out that local study fees only apply once you are PR, not on a work visa. Also even though the BC website is claiming PNP processing times are 2-3months, I've seen a few posts on twitter that suggest it is taking far longer than that, such as 2.5 years in this case

It sucks waiting and earning little but you are on a solid stable path to PR through a federal route. If I were in your position, I would just wait it out and suffer a bit longer. I had to do something similar when I applied for PR, I had to wait a year to get enough points to apply. But it's up to you.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you - these are good points. And thanks for pointing out the study fees - I see that I then wouldn't benefit with lower fees unless PNP and PR were a faster process.

I may be wrong but I thought that an LMIA isn't required for BC PNP Tech, and that the criteria is based on the job offer, NOC code and credibility of the organisation?

Old Feb 10th 2022, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveWalking View Post
I would like to continue to do both really, but change the division of time I allocate per week.
There is plenty of work at my company, so I think they will be keen to offer me a full time role if I express interest. If I can convert my visa to a work visa I can, and plan to continue to study, but do 2 courses per semester instead of 3 or 4. My studies are relevant to my work, and my future plans, and I really enjoy the content, so it will be great to complete my program (due in Dec 2022 or April 2023 depending on how many courses I take per semester). If I change to a work visa sooner, there would be a few benefits 1) no more MSP monthly fees, 2) I potentially could pay local fees instead of international fees for my study program 3) I can work and earn more because groceries here are eye watering and in turn we're living a pretty basic life.

So my initial thoughts are: speak with my company, see if there is an opportunity for a full time job offer > Apply through BC PNP Tech > If Approved - Apply for Open/ Closed (?) work permit, and start Express Entry profile/ or apply for PNP paper based (I need to spend some time to see which would be a better option for our situation)
OK, sounds good, it would need to be a full-time job offer for PNP (and obviously meet the other criteria i.e. a high enough salary, one of the 29 eligible NOC codes etc). Might be worth printing out the guide to give to your employer to make them aware of the various things they'll have to do, just so it doesn't come as a shock.

If you're eligible, then EE is the way to go, as it will be a heck of a lot quicker.

And you're right - no LMIA required for PNP.

Good luck.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy View Post
I can definitely see the benefit of going full time and earning more money. Keep in mind though that while you might save money on the health coverage, your employer will have to pay $1000 to apply for an LMIA, so they may decide to ding you for that cost or not be thrilled about it. Though perhaps being full time helps with that. Also it will only be approved if you are earning the Mid-High range for your job's NOC code.

I do want to point out that local study fees only apply once you are PR, not on a work visa. Also even though the BC website is claiming PNP processing times are 2-3months, I've seen a few posts on twitter that suggest it is taking far longer than that, such as 2.5 years in this case
https://twitter.com/SauravChopra11/s...44826445221890
No LMIA required for PNP. The processing time of 2-3 months is only for the nomination part, not the PR application, it's a two stage application.

Seems like the author of the tweet applied under a paper based PNP route, which has a current processing time of 25 months on average (so 28 months with the nomination part too). It used to be much longer too, so his application was within normal processing times back then. If the OP is eligible for EE, then it would be much quicker than that.

HTH.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your time and responses. Express Entry sounds like a good route.