Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moved: PR Card issue- Losing sleep on this one!!

Moved: PR Card issue- Losing sleep on this one!!

Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

JHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really nice
Default Moved: PR Card issue- Losing sleep on this one!!

Can anyone help? we need some accurate info here on the use of PR cards...

The story -
We had our 2nd Rec trip to Toronto (Burlington) late Sept07, when we arrived we tried to explain to customs we were only there on a visit but because we had our Visas stamped on our passports we were ushered through immigration! No real issues there. However we were advised that our PRs would take about 4 weeks and would only be sent to a Canadian address, so we promptly opened a P.O. box and even organised our SINs (Great so far!) Then flew back to UK after 2 weeks (without the PRs).

The issue -
Our issue is this...We are flying out to Toronto on the 5th of March (next wednesday!!) but on thinking about it... How do we get back into Canada when our PRs are lying in a Canadian P.O. box? Any help on this one? I have read so many conflicting answers on this, some say you cannot fly without them, others say its OK to land without them. We have contacted the Canadian Embassy, but they are as slow as a week in the jail. Any exact answer to this one..please help!! we should be on cloud 9 at present but its just more stress at the eleventh hour!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card issue- Losing sleep on this one!!

Canada is obliged to let PRs in, cards or not. The card isn't what gets you in, your status is.

Who are you flying with, and are you British passport holders?

If you're really really nervous about it, you can get a CAD 50 travel document (looks just like your PR visa) from the High Commission - I think Morwenna did this, she can tell you more

Originally Posted by JHJarvie

The story -
We had our 2nd Rec trip to Toronto (Burlington) late Sept07, when we arrived we tried to explain to customs we were only there on a visit but because we had our Visas stamped on our passports we were ushered through immigration! No real issues there. However we were advised that our PRs would take about 4 weeks and would only be sent to a Canadian address, so we promptly opened a P.O. box and even organised our SINs (Great so far!) Then flew back to UK after 2 weeks (without the PRs).

The issue -
Our issue is this...We are flying out to Toronto on the 5th of March (next wednesday!!) but on thinking about it... How do we get back into Canada when our PRs are lying in a Canadian P.O. box? Any help on this one? I have read so many conflicting answers on this, some say you cannot fly without them, others say its OK to land without them. We have contacted the Canadian Embassy, but they are as slow as a week in the jail. Any exact answer to this one..please help!! we should be on cloud 9 at present but its just more stress at the eleventh hour!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

JHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Canada is obliged to let PRs in, cards or not. The card isn't what gets you in, your status is.

Who are you flying with, and are you British passport holders?

If you're really really nervous about it, you can get a CAD 50 travel document (looks just like your PR visa) from the High Commission - I think Morwenna did this, she can tell you more
Hi Biiiiink,
We are flying with Air Transat, I havent got a clue what there policy is though as we booked through Candian affair (And the question just confused them!)!! Air transat have no UK contact number either!
We are aware of the High Commision Route and have been trying to contact them for 2 days (They are so slow and only answer calls until 11am), we are flying out this coming wednesday and still cant get any black or white answer to this! sorry for the anxiety but I am travelling with a wife and 3 kids so dont want to take any chances. Worse case scenario we may have to purchase a return ticket but that just seems crazy to me, we have valid, visa stamped passports and as much documentation you want from landing last Sept!!
Best Regards
Jim and Carol Jarvie
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

My story.

My PR card expired and there was no time to get a new one so we phoned up immigration and they said about getting a visa to get back in.

So after 3 days of hassles I got the visa in my passport in Berlin, (it can be done in 1 day but when the opening hours are 9-11 and they won't even give you the forms and tell you have to go to a bank to pay the days multiply)

So flying out of Heathrow, they checked for the visa at check-in and also at the gate when we were boarding the plane. Also when we flew back into Toronto, immigration were at the plane and they checked again for the visa. I had no hassle when we got back into Toronto but had to go to the separate room and had to queue for ages. And had to say how often I go abroad and he also said that I can apply for citzenship, just smiled and said I would think about it.

If I hadn't of had this visa, I doubt I would have been able to get on the plane.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Air Transat to Canada and when I emailed to check about whether I could use a one-way ticket they said it was OK so long as you had an appropriate visa. So with no visa and no PR card you might have problems.

So I'd get the travel document just for safety, if you can. It'll be cheaper than buying multiple return tickets that you don't plan to use!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
So after 3 days of hassles I got the visa in my passport in Berlin
Babsi, this is good information for other PRs to know about.

I'm wondering if you could confirm what kind of visa it was that you got.

On the basis of the information in this thread, I've added to the Wiki article called Permanent Resident Card a section called Potential Complication.

I took a wild stab, guessed that the visa you got was a Temporary Residence Visa, and suggested that as a remedy in the Potential Complication section of the Wiki.

But I don't know if I have in fact named the correct visa.
x
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
I flew Air Transat to Canada and when I emailed to check about whether I could use a one-way ticket they said it was OK so long as you had an appropriate visa. So with no visa and no PR card you might have problems.

So I'd get the travel document just for safety, if you can. It'll be cheaper than buying multiple return tickets that you don't plan to use!
We are flying with Air Transat on Tuesday, we have our visa's in our passports (British) and they (Air Transat) advised this was suitable to travel, so we are happier than we were a few days back!
Just out of interest when we called the Canadian embassy earlier they told us to fly to London, pay £25 for each person to recieve a letter of confirmation (we need 5 !!) and then they followed it up with " You actually may be able to fly without it anyway!!" why is there not a hard and fast rule on this, seems like needless red tape to me.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: PR Card issue- Losing sleep on this one!!

The problem is not with canada , they would let you in without your PR card providing they can determine your status.
The problem is the airlines. If for whatever reason you are denied entry to canada then they are liable for (at the very least) the costs incurred in repatriating you.

Because of this airlines have gotten very picky about letting people on with one way tickets in case you are denied entry.

Most airlines are not experts in immigration so despite your claims to PR status , may just issue a blanket policy.

As for the legal status of this , I'm not sure but I'm betting its a clause tucked away in their booking terms and conditions somewhere!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
The problem is not with canada , they would let you in without your PR card providing they can determine your status.
The problem is the airlines. If for whatever reason you are denied entry to canada then they are liable for (at the very least) the costs incurred in repatriating you.

Because of this airlines have gotten very picky about letting people on with one way tickets in case you are denied entry.

Most airlines are not experts in immigration so despite your claims to PR status , may just issue a blanket policy.

As for the legal status of this , I'm not sure but I'm betting its a clause tucked away in their booking terms and conditions somewhere!
Air Canada say on their website that only those from a non-visa waiver country need the PR Card or Travel Document.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying with Air Transat on Tuesday, we have our visa's in our passports (British) and they (Air Transat) advised this was suitable to travel, so we are happier than we were a few days back!
Just out of interest when we called the Canadian embassy earlier they told us to fly to London, pay £25 for each person to recieve a letter of confirmation (we need 5 !!) and then they followed it up with " You actually may be able to fly without it anyway!!" why is there not a hard and fast rule on this, seems like needless red tape to me.
Good luck and let us know how you get on,
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

The story -

The issue -
Hope things went ok for you, I'd like to know how it finally worked out for you. Reading about the PO Box idea sounded like something we might think about. (If we get that far with our PR application !)