Mental health and PR staus

Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

skytra7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental health and PR staus

So I have a friend who also came to Canada at the same time as me as a PR...however he has experienced a personal tragedy in his life and has become quite depressed...

I advised him that he should go and see the doctor and get some medication maybe possibly...or pay for private counselling..

He remarked that he didn't want to tell the doctor because he was scared that if he did start taking mental health medication it would affect his PR status and eventually prevent him from being able to get Canadian citizenship if it was recorded in his health files he was taking mental health medication.

I dont know myself, so was wondering if anybody has any knowledge if having ongoing treatment for mental health can negatively affect your PR status in any way?

I appreciate any replies on this topic many thanks for reading...
Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental health and PR staus

Mental health issues do not affect PR status.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

It should have no bearing whatsoever. He should seek some help if he needs it.

In the future he will simply renew his PR again (no medical questions), and/or will have applied for his Citizenship, or be somewhere between them both.

Encourage him to go and see his GP and take things from there. If he does not feel he has received some practical advice or help, see another GP....

Does he have some kind of Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) though his work/employment benefits? That might also be a good/free place to start. It would be completely confidential and no-one at work would need to know.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It wont affect his PR status, if he needs help, he need to seek help as best as he can, first step is seeing his GP, if they have self referral mental health system (some places do, some don't.) then he should also call them and ask as they will likely provide more in-depth treatment then a GP would.

The GP could also refer to a psychiatrist which is covered under provincial health plans and will be better versed in mental health medications, many times GP's really suck at mental health anything, and will prescribe a drug based on what the sales people tell them, vs what is most effective. I would see a psychiatrist atleast a few times if going a medication route, and let a psychiatrist prescribe them.

But services such as counseling, from a psychologist etc are not covered and would either need to be paid out of pocket, or through extended health coverage if available.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

skytra7 is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou so much Jsmth321, ann m and Former Lancastrian for the advise I have notified my friend of the need to get help and hope he will feel more comfortable seeking advise now he know his PR wont be affected..