electrician work permit options

Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

will74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician work permit options

hey guys

I should be grateful if someone would advice on the following

what are the options to get a work visa for electricians?
the provincial nominee program require 4 years of work experience, the federal skilled trade program require 2 years of work experience.
Is it in any way possible to join an apprenticeship program with only 1 year in the trade? if yes with what sort of visas ?
Or as another option is it possible to work as an electrician helper ( does it fall into the regulated categories?)
thank you all
will
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician work permit options

Originally Posted by will74
hey guys

I should be grateful if someone would advice on the following

what are the options to get a work visa for electricians?
the provincial nominee program require 4 years of work experience, the federal skilled trade program require 2 years of work experience.
Is it in any way possible to join an apprenticeship program with only 1 year in the trade? if yes with what sort of visas ?
Or as another option is it possible to work as an electrician helper ( does it fall into the regulated categories?)
thank you all
will
To work unsupervised you would need a provincial certification, which you can challenge with approx 5 years of full time (provable) experience. You cannot do apprenticeship in any province on a TWP or IEC, you would need PR for that. If you are young enough look at IEC and get a labouring job or then try for PR though PNP. Getting an employer who could get a LMO for a labourer is going to be close to impossible.

The alternative, work until you have the required hours, challenge the exam and look for a job as a qualified journeyman.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply Aviator, well it sounds like my only option is to wait for another year and apply for PR using the new federal skilled trade program.
applying for PR using the PNP is only possible if the worker is near the total required hours in the trade unless I'm wrong?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:51 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you for the reply Aviator, well it sounds like my only option is to wait for another year and apply for PR using the new federal skilled trade program.
applying for PR using the PNP is only possible if the worker is near the total required hours in the trade unless I'm wrong?
You have to have finished your apprenticeship and be a qualified electrician to apply. A 2nd year apprentice would not qualify.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

well I'm already a qualified electrician in France ,with 4 years in the trade doing school and on the job training .the only problem is that i have only 1 year working experience after being qualified this seems not to be enough...
thanks for the info anyway
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

well I'm already a qualified electrician in France ,with 4 years in the trade doing school and on the job training .the only problem is that i have only 1 year working experience after being qualified this seems not to be enough...
thanks for the info anyway
To challenge the provincial exam you require 9000 hours work experience, this includes time working during apprenticeship. Time spent in school does not count. You have to prove the hours of work to challenge the exam.