Medical Query-Genetic disease

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:24 pm
Howling with the huskies

winter_fan will become famous soon enoughwinter_fan will become famous soon enough
Default Medical Query-Genetic disease

Not sure if anyone here knows but does anyone know what the policy is for those wanting to apply for PR/Citizenship if they might possibly have a genetic disease which may or may not appear in the future. In particular, Huntington's disease.
As you can imagine o/h is reluctant to get tested if he doesn't need to, so he doesn't know whether or not he has this illness.
Have written to the CIC in the UK to check but have been advised of a lengthy wait for a reply so thought I'd check here in the meantime.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:09 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Query-Genetic disease

This isn't gospel but with something like Huntingtons they may ask you to get tested as part of the medical review, as you'll have indicated that somewhere in your family tree it exists.

I don't know what the policy is on this.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer to this question.....but I want to wish you good luck with everything!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

These are the forms the doctor fills in for your medical

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resourc...ppendix-04.asp

the handbook outlines the entire protocol. I cannot see anywhere where it asks about family history of genetic diseases. I don't EVER advocate lying but you are under no obligation to offer any information that is not asked for.

Obviously the decision to be tested is one you have thought long and hard about (not sure I would want to know), I can't see anything here that would even ask you about this.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:39 am
Howling with the huskies

winter_fan will become famous soon enoughwinter_fan will become famous soon enough

In an ideal world he doesn't want to get tested and I'd prefer it if he didn't either and even though the forms don't say - I imagine they might say something as it'd be on his medical records under family history??

I'm not particularly clued up on how medical records work
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter_fan
In an ideal world he doesn't want to get tested and I'd prefer it if he didn't either and even though the forms don't say - I imagine they might say something as it'd be on his medical records under family history??

I'm not particularly clued up on how medical records work
I think that this will all come down to whether or not the form/Dr asks "are there any conditions that run in your family" or "are your parents both alive? fit and well? what did they die from?"

When I went for my USA medical - in the USA - family history was not raised, IIRC.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:07 am
Howling with the huskies

Ahh thanks for that, you guys are brilliant.
I'll have another read through the CIC medical stuff you have linked to and will wait to see what the CIC response is to my email query. Hopefully it won't be a requirement, but it's something we're willing to do if we have to *crosses fingers*
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Hi Winterfan

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but just wanted to say 'Hi'.

We have Huntingdons in our family, paternal Grandmother and Uncle died from it, and cousin has it now (really in a bad way, but copes amazingly). Unlike your husband I wanted to be tested (was done about 14yrs ago!), thankfully my test was negative. I can understand your husband not wanting to know, my dad was the same, and I think it's a personal choice. It's a horrible diesease and I wouldn't have had a child had it come back positive.

We are currently trying to get to Calgary through the PNP and am just waiting for police checks to come back. I have to say that I hadn't thought about this, but I think I will get my notes from my doctor and take them with me for the medical, hopefully, this should clear it up.

Good luck and I hope it all works out ok for you.

Karen
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:23 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Almost 100% certain that I wasn't asked a thing about my parents medical history. May have been asked about how they felt about me moving to Canada but thats only because the doctor was very chatty!

Again do keep us up to date with how things are going and good luck
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Winterfan

Just a thought. When I decided to have the test, we had to go through councelling before they would do it (I'm not 100% sure but I think it took a good few months). They wanted to be sure that I could cope with the outcome. That was along time ago, I had it when the Gene was first discovered so things may have changed alot since then, but if (and it's a big if) the test is needed then it may hold things up for you.

K
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:04 pm
Howling with the huskies

Thank you Kat and Zoe
Re: Kat... The counselling is a requirement, I believe it's 3 counselling sessions and post-test care afterwards. My o/h has an appt tomorrow with the doctor so he can be referred for the test, but ideally he is hoping the CIC will get back to us and advise the test isn't needed (we aren't placing too much hope in that one though!)
Thanks again to everyone for the advice
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed for you.

If you need to chat, just pm me! Having been there I know how you're feeling!

Let me know how you get on.

Karen
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:22 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter_fan
Thank you Kat and Zoe
Re: Kat... The counselling is a requirement, I believe it's 3 counselling sessions and post-test care afterwards. My o/h has an appt tomorrow with the doctor so he can be referred for the test, but ideally he is hoping the CIC will get back to us and advise the test isn't needed (we aren't placing too much hope in that one though!)
Thanks again to everyone for the advice
I wouldn't ask CIC, don't suggest to them someone in the family has it and that you may also. From what I can recall, and what Zoe has dug up in the DMP handbook, it doesn't look like it's an issue. Surely in that case it's best to leave it unless you absolutely have to.