PR in NS on grant based job

Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default PR in NS on grant based job

We applied for PR through the skilled worker route nearly 2 years ago.
I got offered a job and came to work here in NS last October, we've now been asked to go for our medicals which is great, but on the list of things that need to be sent to get the PR is a letter from my employer offering permanent a full time job.

Now the problem is that I work in scientific research where its common for jobs to be grant based and not last for more than a couple of years as thats usually the length of the funding (my current job has another 2 years to run). Sometime before the end of this grant we'll be funded again for another 4-5 years and everyone keeps their jobs.

Is there any way around getting the letter of permanent job offer or could I get my employer to write the letter stating that I'd be a permanent member of staff and just not mention the fact that the job ends in 2 years?

any help/advice is much appreciated
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:37 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR in NS on grant based job

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
We applied for PR through the skilled worker route nearly 2 years ago.
I got offered a job and came to work here in NS last October, we've now been asked to go for our medicals which is great, but on the list of things that need to be sent to get the PR is a letter from my employer offering permanent a full time job.

Now the problem is that I work in scientific research where its common for jobs to be grant based and not last for more than a couple of years as thats usually the length of the funding (my current job has another 2 years to run). Sometime before the end of this grant we'll be funded again for another 4-5 years and everyone keeps their jobs.

Is there any way around getting the letter of permanent job offer or could I get my employer to write the letter stating that I'd be a permanent member of staff and just not mention the fact that the job ends in 2 years?

any help/advice is much appreciated
If your employer is willing to do it I would say a letter that just fails to mention the 2 year contract part would be the simplest and most robust approach. The 2 year thing is a bit of a technicality anyway by the sounds of it. I'm pretty sure when I submitted my job offer letter (though tht was for PNP) it never actually said "we want to offer you a permanent job" - it just said they were offering me a job and the terms. Obviously it didnt state temporary either.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:42 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way around the permanent job letter requirement. And visa posts know that many jobs in research and academia are grant based and time defined, they are never permanent nor are intended to be permanent.

Without employer's letter stating that your current time defined (thus temporary) employment will be converted to a full time, permanent position on indeterminate basis you have no claim for arranged employment.

It may get even worse. Every year I am retained by at least few clients in similar to your circumstances - some asked like yourself to provide permanent job letter, although majority already refused on the basis on R76(3) Substitute Evaluation, regardless the fact that they scored 80+ points. Why? Because in the opinion of many processing officers having a job that cannot be permanent indicates lack of abilities for successful economical establishment in Canada, thus R76(3) applies.

All who followed my advice to find permanent job offers outside temporary academia/research jobs have succeeded with their applications and/or re-applications. I had one client though (few years back) who was already refused on the basis of R76(3) regardless his 88 points and after retaining my service for some strange reason didn't want to understand what was needed - he was supplying me with dozens of job offers for similar, grant based temporary positions, claiming that it is all he can find. Finally he fired me after being convinced by some not so ethical lawyer that I'm an idiot not accepting temporary job offers and that he will do a better job and will succeed with new application - it didn't work and my ex-client was refused again on very same grounds few months ago.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 24th 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:53 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Sockdogg - you will have a better idea than any of us what the normal arrangement (ie. temporary or permanent) for people in your field is. As Andrew says "many" jobs are time defined which means not all of them so it obviously isnt inconcievable to a visa office that your job could be permanent if the letter doesn't say it isnt. There must obviously be people in your organisation who do have permanent positions?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:03 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the request letter asking you specifically for permanent job offer from current employer? If not then it is not about arranged employment claim and points - it is all about showing that yes, you can get a permanent job offer outside grant based temporary positions within academia/research. If it is the case then find few and show your abilities.