Medical completed, stupid GPs!

Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Angry Medical completed, stupid GPs!

Sorry, have to vent. My husband went for his spousal medical on the 21st (last Wednesday) at the Handsworth Wood medical centre in Birmingham. They were very efficient and friendly, they knew what they were doing, and there were no major issues (pee in a cup, blood test - and for those of you with a needle phobia as strong as mu husband's, when he felt dizzy afterwards they got him some water, put a fan on to cool him down and even got him to lie on the floor with his feet elevated!). Chest x-ray was fine, the doc felt his stomach, but didn't go juggling

The only issue...a few years ago he had a benign cyst removed from the back of his thigh. This was entered on his form for any surgery (because technically, it was). Understandably, the medical centre wanted confirmation that the lump was benign, so they gave him a letter to deliver to his GP, which he did last week. He phoned yesterday to check on the progress, and the GP's office (the admin department) is claiming that it can take up to 8 weeks to get this information!! All that is required is a print out from his medical file of the test results they did on the lump, they don't need a letter or anything specific from the doctor, and Handsworth Wood are quite happy for them to fax it across, but the stupid woman in admin refused to do anything because the 8 weeks isn't up! He explained the urgency factor, and still nothing.

It's frustrating knowing that you have a 12 month window from the day of the medical (which is short enough already). To lose 2 months of that waiting for someone to press print and fax something is infuriating!

Has anyone else had any problems like this?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:42 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical completed, stupid GPs!

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Sorry, have to vent. My husband went for his spousal medical on the 21st (last Wednesday) at the Handsworth Wood medical centre in Birmingham. They were very efficient and friendly, they knew what they were doing, and there were no major issues (pee in a cup, blood test - and for those of you with a needle phobia as strong as mu husband's, when he felt dizzy afterwards they got him some water, put a fan on to cool him down and even got him to lie on the floor with his feet elevated!). Chest x-ray was fine, the doc felt his stomach, but didn't go juggling

The only issue...a few years ago he had a benign cyst removed from the back of his thigh. This was entered on his form for any surgery (because technically, it was). Understandably, the medical centre wanted confirmation that the lump was benign, so they gave him a letter to deliver to his GP, which he did last week. He phoned yesterday to check on the progress, and the GP's office (the admin department) is claiming that it can take up to 8 weeks to get this information!! All that is required is a print out from his medical file of the test results they did on the lump, they don't need a letter or anything specific from the doctor, and Handsworth Wood are quite happy for them to fax it across, but the stupid woman in admin refused to do anything because the 8 weeks isn't up! He explained the urgency factor, and still nothing.

It's frustrating knowing that you have a 12 month window from the day of the medical (which is short enough already). To lose 2 months of that waiting for someone to press print and fax something is infuriating!

Fortunately, no. Jobsworths and red tape are everywhere and it really gets to you as it's so frustrating knowing that you could do the job in 5 minutes but they won't because "thats not the way we do it"
I know it's hard but hang in there, it's all worth it in the end.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He phoned yesterday to check on the progress, and the GP's office (the admin department) is claiming that it can take up to 8 weeks to get this information!! All that is required is a print out from his medical file of the test results they did on the lump, they don't need a letter or anything specific from the doctor, and Handsworth Wood are quite happy for them to fax it across, but the stupid woman in admin refused to do anything because the 8 weeks isn't up! He explained the urgency factor, and still nothing.

Where does this "8 week rule" come from?

You should check whether they are in breach of Data Protection Act or Freedom of Information rules by taking so long to release information.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:49 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

You should check whether they are in breach of Data Protection Act or Freedom of Information rules by taking so long to release information.

Jeremy
thats a good point, even the Police criminal record check is done within 40 days (not guaranteed though) and in most cases, a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Yep I did, i took my medical in canada for an out of canada spousal application

in other words i was applying at CPC-m being sponsored for my wife but came back to england for 7 months,

So i had sent off the applictaion whilst i waas still in canada, they returned saying that it was the wrong form but they needed an extra bit, i had already done my meical and paid for it

so i went back to the Gp in canada who the admin staff said cic was wrong and then spent 20 minutes explaining the difference of in canada medicals and out of canada medicals,

In the end i got the additional inofrmation and sent it off with the application and all was fine

Is there any chance you can submit all your application now, get your application number and when the extra information comes send it to them with the application reference number,

I had to that also with my security checks being ex forces they need a copy of my military record which the only told me once it was in london!

but it all worked out and i fly on the 7th of october
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
It appears that the 8 week thing was just some random timeframe they quoted, when my husband queried it he was told that it may be under 8 weeks, but could take up to 8 weeks. I've just checked the Data Protection Act with regard to medical information, and apparently the policy is that the information should be provided within 21 days, but can be up to 40. It then states that this isn't law, just a policy, which is frustrating. We're going to give them until Monday, then chase again. We fly out on the 8th, so I think it's getting a little too close now to do it in the way we intended.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by matty266
Yep I did, i took my medical in canada for an out of canada spousal application

in other words i was applying at CPC-m being sponsored for my wife but came back to england for 7 months,

So i had sent off the applictaion whilst i waas still in canada, they returned saying that it was the wrong form but they needed an extra bit, i had already done my meical and paid for it

so i went back to the Gp in canada who the admin staff said cic was wrong and then spent 20 minutes explaining the difference of in canada medicals and out of canada medicals,

In the end i got the additional inofrmation and sent it off with the application and all was fine

Is there any chance you can submit all your application now, get your application number and when the extra information comes send it to them with the application reference number,

I had to that also with my security checks being ex forces they need a copy of my military record which the only told me once it was in london!

but it all worked out and i fly on the 7th of october
I'd be hesitant to risk it...the immigration medical will not be signed off until they receive this information from the GP, so at the moment we have no forms etc. other than the credit card receipt that my husband paid for the medical. Since it's a required part of the application, we'd prefer not to send it off with that section missing, since it's such an important part (although I get your point...by the time the application is forwarded back to the London office we'd have the medical form and can post it then).
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

It's frustrating knowing that you have a 12 month window from the day of the medical (which is short enough already).

Sorry - I'm a long way off this yet. Just sent off for the police check having got all the rest of the information together, bundled up and awaiting the return of the police check.

Can you explain the 12 month window with respect to the application process for me please?

Thanks in advance,

Muncles
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:35 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by Muncles
Sorry - I'm a long way off this yet. Just sent off for the police check having got all the rest of the information together, bundled up and awaiting the return of the police check.

Can you explain the 12 month window with respect to the application process for me please?

Thanks in advance,

Muncles
your medical lasts for 12 months, if your visa is not granted before the 12 months is up you will have to submit another, the same applies with your police check.
HTH
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
your medical lasts for 12 months, if your visa is not granted before the 12 months is up you will have to submit another, the same applies with your police check.
HTH
That did help. Thanks v much.

So if applications are taking 3 years to go through does this mean I will have to get another police check when they finally get to my application?

If so why bother asking for it with your initial application? Are the CIC in league with income generating police authorities around our fair isle?

I would have thought that the medicals were only requested once you had a fighting chance of your application being granted within the 12 month window for which your medicals are valid for.....but then that would be applying common sense to beauracracy which invariably seem to be like ships that pass in the night!

Muncles
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that the 8 week thing was just some random timeframe they quoted, when my husband queried it he was told that it may be under 8 weeks, but could take up to 8 weeks. I've just checked the Data Protection Act with regard to medical information, and apparently the policy is that the information should be provided within 21 days, but can be up to 40. It then states that this isn't law, just a policy, which is frustrating. We're going to give them until Monday, then chase again. We fly out on the 8th, so I think it's getting a little too close now to do it in the way we intended.

As far as police checks are concerned it *is* the law - they have 40 days to respond and are in breach of the Act if they don't.

I suggest you find out the same about your GP surgery and whether they have a legal time limit to respond. Take a look at this site:
http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/

Jeremy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:02 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

but then that would be applying common sense to beauracracy which invariably seem to be like ships that pass in the night!

Muncles
that sums it up perfectly I'm not sure at which stage they ask for police check as i applied family class and they are submitted with the initial application (as are medicals)
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:24 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I went into my GP and asked for a copy of a letter from a consultant regarding a hospital admin. She said "Hang on a minute, and came back with a photo copy, no charge no nothing. I went away and read the letter and realised it referred to an earlier letter from another doctor, returned again, and she read it through went away, and came back with all letters that gave reference to the admittance. So where the 8 weeks comes from sounds rubbish. The new data protection act states you can have access to your records, and within a given time, bit if your doctors secretary is just having a power trip by the sounds of it
In the past you had to go through the medicals recorsds office, I believe to get access to certain records, and they charged for photocopies, and admin etc.
I think since this date protection thing came in many people will probably be asking to see doctors notes etc, which is possibly pissing them off.
Maybe if you had made and appointment with the doctor explain your urgency, then asked for the relevant letters, he could be more forthcoming!

Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

So if applications are taking 3 years to go through does this mean I will have to get another police check when they finally get to my application?

If so why bother asking for it with your initial application? Are the CIC in league with income generating police authorities around our fair isle?

I would have thought that the medicals were only requested once you had a fighting chance of your application being granted within the 12 month window for which your medicals are valid for.....but then that would be applying common sense to beauracracy which invariably seem to be like ships that pass in the night!

Muncles
Spousal applications take under 6 months (usually), not 3 years, which is why they ask for the medical up front. On SW applications they are requested nearer the end of the process, to give you the 12 months towards the end.