marriage in canada

Old Jul 1st 2010, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice
Default Re: marriage in canada

Originally Posted by johnandjenny
alberta
hmm, well i will just come back as a visitor then, or we may just put the honeymoon off
I think in Alberta you don't have to wait for your wedding cert so that's a plus! The only problem with coming back as a visitor is that you need to prove that you're intending to leave. You might get a lovely immigration officer willing to let you re-enter but then again you might not They don't have to let you come back if you don't have status. Other people will probably be able to advise you better but I don't think I would risk it if I were in your position. You could always try and get into contact with Vegreville and see how your visitor's permit application is going.
I'm only going on what I've been told though...I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

alberta
hmm, well i will just come back as a visitor then, or we may just put the honeymoon off
I kind of did a similar thing to you UK citizen / Canadian o/h - we got married in Vegas and when we came back ito Canada, we advised the immigration officials that we were applying for spousal sponsorship as soon as we had the marriage certificate.

They gave me a years visitor visa to give us time to sort it out.

(Still not bloody applied yet as saving for the fees - but will - like you- be applying outland and posting the dates / timelines etc)

Congrats btw
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

johnandjenny is an unknown quantity at this point

So we got married last month and just recieved some family photos that I was waiting for.
the application will be submitted this weekend, but I am unsure on a couple of things, I hope to get some help here....

Civil status?
do i need my birth certificate, or will a passprt do. I ask as I need to get my birrth certificate, and my mother can not find it. Long story, but until now I havent needed it and with my mother it will be safe.

Family photos?
my folks only sent a couple, and i think i need 8 of each member of my family.

Marriage certificate?
our marriage was performed outside of canada, but is legal here etc. do we need to have it registered in canada?

Medical?
Have an appointment for next week, but do you need a medical. I'd rather not do if i dont have to.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:29 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

So we got married last month and just recieved some family photos that I was waiting for.
the application will be submitted this weekend, but I am unsure on a couple of things, I hope to get some help here....

Civil status?
do i need my birth certificate, or will a passprt do. I ask as I need to get my birrth certificate, and my mother can not find it. Long story, but until now I havent needed it and with my mother it will be safe.

Family photos?
my folks only sent a couple, and i think i need 8 of each member of my family.

Marriage certificate?
our marriage was performed outside of canada, but is legal here etc. do we need to have it registered in canada?

Medical?
Have an appointment for next week, but do you need a medical. I'd rather not do if i dont have to.
1. Methinks that you haven't read the instructions: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#immigrate
2. Read the Appendix A visa office instructions for the office where you intend to apply. Assuming it is London. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf you need your birth certificate.
3. I don't know what family pictures you are referring to, assuming that your spouse is sponsoring you, the only pictures required for the application itself are 8 of yourself. You may wish to include other photos to show the relationship between you and your spouse.
4. The marriage doesn't have to be registered in Canada.
5. You have to have a medical done by the DMP and you have to include proof of the medical with your application.
6. I assume that you have all the require criminal records checks?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

johnandjenny is an unknown quantity at this point

police checks are done, and all good.
birth cert being sent out.
i have loads of photos of myself, and i cant find the appendix a or b, so thats why the questions were asked.
so i do not need photos of my family then?

i have 2 of each my mum and dad, and will submit them on the application.
it says 8 of each of my family members, but is that just of me,a nd my dependents?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:47 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

police checks are done, and all good.
birth cert being sent out.
i have loads of photos of myself, and i cant find the appendix a or b, so thats why the questions were asked.
so i do not need photos of my family then?

i have 2 of each my mum and dad, and will submit them on the application.
it says 8 of each of my family members, but is that just of me,a nd my dependents?
For evidence, we provided a couple of photo's of our wedding. Other than that, why would they need individual photo's of each family member?

You'd also need about a dozen passport style photo's of yourself and if you have kids who are also being sponsored.

The copy of the birth certificate is of the Canadian Citizen only.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by el_richo
The copy of the birth certificate is of the Canadian Citizen only.
I don't think this is right - we didn't need my wife's birth certificate (just her passport), but did need mine in addition to my passport. See the document checklist.

Andy
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers
I don't think this is right - we didn't need my wife's birth certificate (just her passport), but did need mine in addition to my passport. See the document checklist.

Andy
I did see it and it asks for a copy of the birth certificate (or passport, etc) of the sponsor, not the applicant (passport only).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5491E.PDF
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

No, part 13 asks for either the birth certificate or the passport for the sponsor. Part 22 asks for "Identity and Civil Status documents" for the applicant, which the Immigrant's guide lists as birth certificate, baptismal certificate etc. The applicant's passport counts as part 24 - "Travel documents and passports".
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:16 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by smivers
No, part 13 asks for either the birth certificate or the passport for the sponsor. Part 22 asks for "Identity and Civil Status documents" for the applicant, which the Immigrant's guide lists as birth certificate, baptismal certificate etc. The applicant's passport counts as part 24 - "Travel documents and passports".
Aaah i see that. I wonder if the form has changed because we didn't supply mine and i've had PR for a year now.

Oh well, you may be right. Better safe than sorry.