marriage in canada

Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

johnandjenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage in canada

Hi

Im jenny, and i have been following this site for a while, me being a Brit myself.

anyways, My other half proposed. We have been together for 5 years now, he a canadian citizen, and me a brit. We both lived in the Uk, not togetehr though for 4 years of our relationship. I would go and see him at weekends, I was never sure of getting together like marriage with him as he always wanted to, well it was always on his mind to come back to Canada.

Anyways, to see how it work work over here, I decided to get a work visa through a well known working visa holiday program from the Uk,and basically see if I could hack it over here. Now being here for a year I dont waat to go back, Ive met some great people, i'm happy here, and now happy living with my other half.

He proposed,and well I am thinking that I would like to stay with him full time, and well I do love him of course.

Anyways, I am asking for advice from people on what they recommend to do.

My visa is up next week, ive already applied for a temp visa online and should hear back very soon.
Anyways, I am now living with him, and we plan to marry in the next couple of weeks.

Is that ok whilst I am on a visa,
and what options do we have regards applying for residency, is it better to do so whilst in the country, or outside etc.

Thank you again British expats
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: marriage in canada

he had dual nationality, so was residing in the uk for the last 10 years before coming back to canada.
sorry should have added that one.
whilst i was working in brighton during the week i would stay at mine in the week, and then go to worthing at weekends. hope this makes matters clearer.

in my year in canada, i wanted to go skiing for the winter months, and found bar work either side of the winter seasons. it worked out quite well and now i want to return back to my bar work back in the city. They have said i can return etc once i am sorted.

hope that clears matters.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnandjenny
Hi

Im jenny, and i have been following this site for a while, me being a Brit myself.

anyways, My other half proposed. We have been together for 5 years now, he a canadian citizen, and me a brit. We both lived in the Uk, not togetehr though for 4 years of our relationship. I would go and see him at weekends, I was never sure of getting together like marriage with him as he always wanted to, well it was always on his mind to come back to Canada.

Anyways, to see how it work work over here, I decided to get a work visa through a well known working visa holiday program from the Uk,and basically see if I could hack it over here. Now being here for a year I dont waat to go back, Ive met some great people, i'm happy here, and now happy living with my other half.

He proposed,and well I am thinking that I would like to stay with him full time, and well I do love him of course.

Anyways, I am asking for advice from people on what they recommend to do.

My visa is up next week, ive already applied for a temp visa online and should hear back very soon.
Anyways, I am now living with him, and we plan to marry in the next couple of weeks.

Is that ok whilst I am on a visa,
and what options do we have regards applying for residency, is it better to do so whilst in the country, or outside etc.

Thank you again British expats
Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

If you have lived with your boyf for a year or more then you don't have to get married before he sponsors you - he can sponsor you as his 'common-law partner'.

So if you've cohabited for the year you've been on Bunac that might be an option? If not, then you'll have to wait until you get married before he can apply to sponsor you.

Best to apply outland, it's much, much quicker than applying inland (and you can stay in Canada on your visitor visa whilst it's being processed outland anyway). Recent reports on the forum report that outland applications are only taking 2-3 months from start to finish so a year or so quicker than applying inland, but the downside is that if you get called for an interview (unlikely) you'll have to return to the UK for it.

Have a read of the spousal sponsorship info in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and good luck!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, thats clears up alot.
Well we are both hoping to go home for a week, around June time, it's his birthday and he wanted to collect a few items back home. He wants to get married here, though as thats where all his family are. That was the condition he set lol.
When I landed I used a friends address, as Johny was moving with his job and I was unsure how long he would be there, so I wanted something permanent. Up to now we really havent needed to share bills anything with like a joint account. Both being independent, we didnt want things like that.
At the time of entry I didnt want to keep changing address with authorities etc. So i guess the year thing for living together wouldnt count for alot. I have been living with him for 2 months now.

So, if we marry, we should be able to do so here, and then apply outland?
How is this quicker?
We just want things simple really, with me returning to work, and well live in Canada.
Thanks again, and if anyone else has advice please let us know.

BTW this site is great, i really like it.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

If you have lived with your boyf for a year or more then you don't have to get married before he sponsors you - he can sponsor you as his 'common-law partner'.

So if you've cohabited for the year you've been on Bunac that might be an option? If not, then you'll have to wait until you get married before he can apply to sponsor you.

Best to apply outland, it's much, much quicker than applying inland (and you can stay in Canada on your visitor visa whilst it's being processed outland anyway). Recent reports on the forum report that outland applications are only taking 2-3 months from start to finish so a year or so quicker than applying inland, but the downside is that if you get called for an interview (unlikely) you'll have to return to the UK for it.

Have a read of the spousal sponsorship info in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and good luck!

Just a side note by the way, I applied Inland spousal application and also sent in the Open Work Permit application at the same time.

First stage approval was granted in 5 months with a work visa which allowed me to work, get medical etc, PR was granted 4 weeks later....total time 6 months.

If your application is 'clean' , then Inland can be just as quick as Outland, but also gives you the ability to stay in Canada and get a work visa whilst waiting for the final PR.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So, if we marry, we should be able to do so here, and then apply outland? How is this quicker?
From the following comment it may not be anymore or at least not hugely different. I think more CIC resources were put into outland rather than inland spousal applications - presumably discouraging inland applications that were really meant for special circumstances.

Originally Posted by anewPR
Just a side note by the way, I applied Inland spousal application and also sent in the Open Work Permit application at the same time....total time 6 months.

If your application is 'clean' , then Inland can be just as quick as Outland, but also gives you the ability to stay in Canada and get a work visa whilst waiting for the final PR.
My inland application was 'clean' as you put it - took nearly 2 years 2005-07.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BristolUK
From the following comment it may not be anymore or at least not hugely different. I think more CIC resources were put into outland rather than inland spousal applications - presumably discouraging inland applications that were really meant for special circumstances.

My inland application was 'clean' as you put it - took nearly 2 years 2005-07.

WOW!!!!.....and 'clean' is the word CIC use, by the way, for applications that are smooth.

I have no idea about the time lines in 2007 and I am sorry you had to go through that, the stress of 6 months for me was awful so I can well appreciate what you had to go through.

Was this the norm in 2007?????
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anewPR
Was this the norm in 2007?????
I believe so...judging by comments on here.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

update, so we are getting wed in 2 weeks, its all booked up and paid, although it's going to be a small affair, costs etc. and then we are going to Mexico for our honeymoon, so excited.
Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had applied outland / inland, how long it took etc for the whole process,and if applying outland, were there any implications whilst still in Canada.
I know i posted a little while ago, but was just wondering if anyone had gone through this in the last little while.

Much advice is appreciated.
and thanks again expats, this site is great!!!!
Jenn
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

update, so we are getting wed in 2 weeks, its all booked up and paid, although it's going to be a small affair, costs etc. and then we are going to Mexico for our honeymoon, so excited.
Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had applied outland / inland, how long it took etc for the whole process,and if applying outland, were there any implications whilst still in Canada.
If you look in the Wiki there is a whole article about spousal sponsorship including the pros and cons of outland v inland. Outland is certainly much, much quicker at the mo (approx 3 months rather than a year) but you can read the article and hopefully it will help you make a decision. Just put 'spousal sponsorship' in to the search box and it'll bring it straight up.

And congrats on the impending marriage! Shall I get my hat and pack a bikini...........?!?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

ok, so we are getting wed at the weekend, i am a bundle of nerves, but I can't wait.
So we are going to be applying outland. I am currently not working, which I don't mind, and as soon as the residency go through I assume I can work again. We wont to save for a house etc. Anyways, once the application has been submitted, and received in the Uk, what can I do about the working thing. This could take longer than the 3 months. Again I son't mind not working, but I would rather be busy in my days. Cleaning the house 3 times a week can get rather boring lol.

I intend to keep my timeline from getting wed to submitting application, to receiving confirmation to obtaining residency all on here.

Thanks again
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:49 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats and all that.

I know nothing about all this and there are people who will know the answer but if your visa has expired will you have the new one in time to get back in the country after your honeymoon? I hope so.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

hmm, that's what i was wondering, you see we are going to Mexico in a couple of weeks, and by that time London will have out application, well you'd hope, so was just wondering if getting a work visa (it's only for the period of residency being processed) is obtainable at the border when we return to Canada.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

hmm, that's what i was wondering, you see we are going to Mexico in a couple of weeks, and by that time London will have out application, well you'd hope, so was just wondering if getting a work visa (it's only for the period of residency being processed) is obtainable at the border when we return to Canada.

Thanks
Hi there!
Congrats on your wedding!
You won't be able to get a work visa when you come to the border and London won't have your application by the time you go to Mexico, it will be at Mississauga for around 3 weeks I think atm then it goes to London. If you do not have status here at the moment then they do not have to let you come back into the country when you return from Mexico. Did you get your extension yet? I applied around the same time and haven't got mine The lovely lady I spoke to at the border the last time we went across told me that unless you have the paperwork you lose your aip and they don't have to let you come back in (because clearly you have no intention of leaving).
Whereabouts are you guys based too as in Ontario it takes a couple months to get your marriage certificate in order to even send off your application.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

alberta
hmm, well i will just come back as a visitor then, or we may just put the honeymoon off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.