Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marital Status Change Between COPR being mailed and received

Marital Status Change Between COPR being mailed and received

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Smile Marital Status Change Between COPR being mailed and received

Hi all, this is a question that I hope Former Lancastrian will be able to answer to put my husband's mind at ease...

I'm a Canadian Citizen. Last Friday (June 26) I married my fiancé who was already going through the PR process when we met.

Today he received his COPR (what a week! ), which was post-marked June 23. His marital status is shown as divorced, but that changed 3 days after it was posted. His immigration lawyer has updated CIC regarding the marriage.

Do you think he will have an issue at the border when he lands, as he is now married? I'll be with him and will take our marriage certificate and my Canadian Passport.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marital Status Change Between COPR being mailed and received

Shouldn't be a problem
12.7. Changes in marital and family status
R51 requires a foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa as a single person to advise an officer if their marital status has changed since the visa was issued.
A report under A44(1) for A41(a) for R51 is not necessary, if the non-declaration of a marriage or common-law relationship to the visa officer does not affect the grant of permanent residence to the person in the following cases:
 In the case of refugees and protected persons, a BSO should grant permanent resident status to these classes of persons and provide counselling regarding the sponsorship of a spouse or common-law partner; and
 A foreign national who marries their sponsor after the visa is issued, but before the grant of permanent residence. This change in circumstance is not material to admissibility.

Just make sure when doing the landing you mention this and you have informed CIC of the change.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Marital Status Change Between COPR being mailed and received

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Shouldn't be a problem
12.7. Changes in marital and family status
R51 requires a foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa as a single person to advise an officer if their marital status has changed since the visa was issued.
A report under A44(1) for A41(a) for R51 is not necessary, if the non-declaration of a marriage or common-law relationship to the visa officer does not affect the grant of permanent residence to the person in the following cases:
 In the case of refugees and protected persons, a BSO should grant permanent resident status to these classes of persons and provide counselling regarding the sponsorship of a spouse or common-law partner; and
 A foreign national who marries their sponsor after the visa is issued, but before the grant of permanent residence. This change in circumstance is not material to admissibility.
Just make sure when doing the landing you mention this and you have informed CIC of the change.
Thanks FL, I didn't sponsor him, he applied under PNP, but hopefully point 2 would still apply. His immigration lawyer has notified CIC and sent them a copy of our Statement of Marriage, and I should be able to get a copy of our marriage certificate from the registry this week.

Thanks again for your help.