Manitoba - Young Farmers Program

Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

ManitobaMoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manitoba - Young Farmers Program

I was just going over the requirements for Manitoba's "Young Farmers Program", does anyone else see this as being a bit pointless. Especially the fact the person is required to invest at least 150,000CAD, what young person would have this kind of money?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manitoba - Young Farmers Program

Originally Posted by ManitobaMoose
I was just going over the requirements for Manitoba's "Young Farmers Program", does anyone else see this as being a bit pointless. Especially the fact the person is required to invest at least 150,000CAD, what young person would have this kind of money?
They define 'young' as 40 or under, so I'd imagine that a lot of people in their 20's/30's have that kind of equity in their properties, plus quite a bit more. Plus don't they need to have owned or managed a farm for at least 3 years as well? So don't think it's aimed at 18 year old school leavers with no cash somehow.

Oh, and is there any reason you're not using your original username BTW? If you've forgotten the password you can request it, or if you want your original account closed please let us know as multiple usernames aren't allowed.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 31st 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

ManitobaMoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They define 'young' as 40 or under, so I'd imagine that a lot of people in their 20's/30's have that kind of equity in their properties, plus quite a bit more. Plus don't they need to have owned or managed a farm for at least 3 years as well? So don't think it's aimed at 18 year old school leavers with no cash somehow.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Ahh I missed the age bit! I guess that makes sense, one thing I did notice though, they have the average wage for a Manitoba farm as around 35,000annual, which seems a bit low to say how much your investing into it?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh I missed the age bit! I guess that makes sense, one thing I did notice though, they have the average wage for a Manitoba farm as around 35,000annual, which seems a bit low to say how much your investing into it?
Seems very high to me actually. Most people that start their own business don't expect to make any profit for at least five years, and if you look at it on percentage terms it's a return of almost 25%, which means you'd recoup it in approx 4 years - pretty good!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Also, this likely comes from Statistics Canada, which is not too accurate. If what you refer to is earnings as an owner farmer, they live and work on their property so many of their costs of living are met by the farm before they take money out, if they are corporations, this further shields apparent earnings, so one would need to look at their corporate earnings as well as personal to get a real picture.

If you are talking about wages paid to employees as 'an average wage', an average is made up of employees on minimum wage, seasonal employees and managers. Your skill level would determine what you get.
Many farms in Canada are family owned and operated, so opportunities for employees are limited mostly to laborers and junior management.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

just to get this straight, if you "only" invest $150,000 in a farm, don't expect you can be living from it. This is why the MB young farmer program allows you to calculate off-farm income as well, to make a living.

Don't really know what you expect from farming...or what farms do cost? You go into the dairy sector with the most secured income through quota, you probably have to pay 1Mill to start with by now.

Having $35,000 net is already something, not all farmers do have that.