Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application - no IMM 5292

Citizenship Application - no IMM 5292

Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Application - no IMM 5292

So... we recently submitted our applications, and my addled pregnant brain just photocopied the visa in our passports when it asked for the IMM 5292, as that's all we have. I've done a search on here, and it seems that we are some more of the people who it wasn't returned to on landing.

We've been given the option to either cancel our application, get a refund and basically try again when we have it, or to return the form saying that we'd like to go ahead and risk that it will be turned down without it.

Here's my question - would there be any point in returning the application with a note (they ask for a written explanation if you don't have the document) to say that we would like to continue with our application, and we will forward the copy of the replacement document as soon as it arrives (and risk losing the $400), but that if this isn't possible, we would like to cancel our application? The current processing time for a replacement is 4 months, we have to reply within 30 days they say they will return everything, including payment.

Or is that too complicated for bureaucracy? Or do they just need an absolute black and white answer from us? From what I've heard, I don't really see the point in calling them.

Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Citizenship Application - no IMM 5292

When I landed, the immigration officer did not give me back a copy of the signed IMM 5292. I only have IMM 5292 (a copy) without my signature and his. If you remember, when we landed, we signed the IMM 5292 in front of the immigration officer and he did too. The IMM 5292 is our proof of landing and it verifies our entry to Canada as I was told.

I realized years later I do not have the signed IMM 5292 when I wanted to renew my PR card in 2010. Luckily, I was able to submit other documents to support my PR renewal application. This incident gave me a heads up that the IMM5292 may be a required document in the citizenship application and it was. When I inquired, they wanted a valid copy of my landing document which I did not have. I was told I need to contact CIC and request a Certified True Copy. You need to fill out a form called Verification of Entry (form IMM 5009) Check that out in the CIC website and you will find the form and the documents needed. I believe the fee was $30.

1- I sent my application for the Verification of Entry on Jan 26th, 2010

2- I received True Certified Copy of Entry on May 27th, 2010

==> So 4 months (anyway, I was told it could take up to 6 months)

==================

1- Citizenship application sent on April 10th, 2011 (from Vancouver)
==> They received it on April 14th, 2011

2- Acknowledgement letter received from them on July 8th, 2011
==================

If I were you, I would cancel, get my money back and apply for a true copy of the IMM 5292. This is the surest way! Yes, you will have to wait another 4 months to get the replacement but this will avoid you headackes and very possible delays that could be longer than the 4 months required for the replacement.

Good luck!

Yasmina

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Nov 1st 2011 at 3:19 am.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application - no IMM 5292

Thanks for that, we'd pretty much come to the same conclusion