British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

praetorean Jan 20th 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Originally Posted by HappiTropi (Post 10494515)
Hey ladies and gents,

This is the response I got for the IELTS query.

Hello,

Submit your IELTS results once you have them. We will assess your qualifications at that time.

Regards,
Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program

Soooo, I'm taking the test Feb 2, results should be in by the 15th and then I'll resend the application form. With some new information. I wish I knew about this programme earlier.

Wish me luck!

Hi HappiTropi,

Hope you don't mind my asking, but here I go anyways. Have you replied to the Manitoba Immigration the questionnaire form they sent you for the EV without an IELTS result yet? That's why they ask you to submit once you have your results?

Because, I'm in the same situation too. I got a reply from Manitoba Immigration to answer some questions and also asked for IELTS result. But the next sched for the exam's on Feb 2; my deadline's on Feb 16th

HappiTropi Jan 20th 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by praetorean (Post 10494652)
Hi HappiTropi,

Hope you don't mind my asking, but here I go anyways. Have you replied to the Manitoba Immigration the questionnaire form they sent you for the EV without an IELTS result yet? That's why they ask you to submit once you have your results?

Because, I'm in the same situation too. I got a reply from Manitoba Immigration to answer some questions and also asked for IELTS result. But the next sched for the exam's on Feb 2; my deadline's on Feb 16th

Hey Paetorean,

I did reply and submitted the questionaire without the IELTS. My understanding is that you get your results 13 days after the exam was taken... So that means your results will come out on February the 15th, right in time for that deadline :thumbsup: .

travel Jan 20th 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dammy (Post 10484545)
Conmar that is a powerful brand you have created - D.T.C. Never thought of that. We could just float a company in Winnipeg when we arrive:D

But need to think :sneaky: of what type of business we will venture into. Any idea Travel and Conmar?:confused:

Replying pretty late as I was swamped with work all last week.

Team D.T.C. does indeed sound like a powerful brand :) . I guess we all should meet-up once we are all there eventually to take this diccussion forward ).

We will also invite Manitobain and Lovely_Clouds as Chief Mentors for their valuable guidance and advise.

Lets keep this thought alive.

travel Jan 20th 2013 3:27 pm

Lovely_Clouds,

I am very happy to know that you are finally there. I read your entire experience and I think it was just the weather that played spoilsport. I am happy to know that you had no issues during the landing process.

I wish you all the luck for your next big task i.e. house hunting and finding a job. I am sure you will find both soon enough. During my visit in June last year I explored the entire South East and South West areas and found them to be pretty good. If you want you could look at areas like River Heights, Lindenwoods, Fort Garry, Fort Richmond, Fort Whyte and Waverley Heights (Near Univ of Winnipeg Campus). These are all relatively newly developed areas and very well planned and spacious.

Do keep us informed of how your house hunting goes. Good Luck and once again a Congratulations.

One more thing, where are you staying now, do let us know the B&B name and address and tariff details. Also drop in a word to the owners that there are many more people arriving soon. With God's grace Team D.T.C. will be there in June this year :)

dwight-van-man Jan 20th 2013 3:30 pm

Hi All, just wondered if there is a way of 'book-marking' pages or specific posts in this thread? I read through it all and picked up some great info, which I'd now like to find again quickly without trawling through 154 pages... Thanks!

lovely_clouds Jan 20th 2013 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by travel (Post 10494892)
Lovely_Clouds,

I am very happy to know that you are finally there. I read your entire experience and I think it was just the weather that played spoilsport. I am happy to know that you had no issues during the landing process.

I wish you all the luck for your next big task i.e. house hunting and finding a job. I am sure you will find both soon enough. During my visit in June last year I explored the entire South East and South West areas and found them to be pretty good. If you want you could look at areas like River Heights, Lindenwoods, Fort Garry, Fort Richmond, Fort Whyte and Waverley Heights (Near Univ of Winnipeg Campus). These are all relatively newly developed areas and very well planned and spacious.

Do keep us informed of how your house hunting goes. Good Luck and once again a Congratulations.

One more thing, where are you staying now, do let us know the B&B name and address and tariff details. Also drop in a word to the owners that there are many more people arriving soon. With God's grace Team D.T.C. will be there in June this year :)

Hi travel,

Thank you. Yeah, it's majorly the weather this time.
We are emphasising on Central region, not exactly downtown.

The b&b we are staying at is Bright Oakes, at St. Vital area, & like we have been told .... About 3 different people from this very thread have also stayed here since our stay in Feb 12. We've already dropped a word with them, & they will be happy to host you :)

lovely_clouds Jan 20th 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by HappiTropi (Post 10494849)
Hey Paetorean,

I did reply and submitted the questionaire without the IELTS. My understanding is that you get your results 13 days after the exam was taken... So that means your results will come out on February the 15th, right in time for that deadline :thumbsup: .

And also, depending on which country you are from.... You can take advantage of few extra hours due to time zone differences.

lovely_clouds Jan 20th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Violets are blue (Post 10494642)
Hi Lovely Clouds, it sounds like you have been very busy, dont forget to relax a little and enjoy the experience :D. We are looking at South, south east, north east (some areas), east and some central. Some areas in West and North are a little dodgy from what I was told but of course I have no idea where exactly :D. Good luck and I hope you find somewhere to live very soon.

Im sure you will find a job without too many problems as you appear to have the drive needed to get out there and find 'something' but I hope you find the job you would prefer which of course may be a little tricky from what people say.

We delivered the copies and are due to pick the COPR up this week. Its been snowing here and we are hoping the weather improves and does not effect the rail service too much :fingerscrossed:. Hopefully only a few days to go and then I can also make some serious work related phone calls :D.

Good luck with everything and I hope you are settled very soon :D.

Hi violets.

Wow, so that means you will have COPR within this monh itself. Heartiest Congratulations on that. :thumbup: If you haven't started planning to pack up, you shud better get going. When we booked our tickets, 1 month appeared a long time.....but we were packing till the last minute :D

We did drive down to North of Winnipeg during our EV, & did like the general traffic on road there. So we didn't even think once on trying out he houses. The area did appear lot dodgy.

Well, we have seen a couple of apartments, more to see tomorrow & day after. Lets see what we finalise on :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

HappiTropi Jan 20th 2013 11:58 pm

Random question:

Do you think I could be at a disadvantage because I am Jamaican?

praetorean Jan 21st 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by HappiTropi (Post 10494849)
Hey Paetorean,

I see. So, I guess I can also just reply them along with the answered questionnaire but will also them that the IELTS will follow.

Thanks man :cool:...

New_Start Jan 21st 2013 1:13 am

Originally Posted by lovely_clouds (Post 10493398)
Hello Everyone :wave::wave:

Am back at the forum after a loooooong loooooong time; and am seriously surprised at all the activity that has been going on here. It's good to see the thread becoming super-active since the re-opening on EV for 2013.

wish all the EV aspirants best of luck with their process.

Guys... In our long journey on road called "EV"; I think there are BIG THANK YOU's due to our dear mentor @manitobain. Her constant feedback and assistance has surely made a remarkable impact in our EV success story.

Hi @ilse... :wave:
hope you are doing good. And hows the weather been at Rossburn?

We have finally completed all the basics - SIN, Health Card, Bank Accounts, Credit Card, registered at Manitoba Start, rented a Car.
Renting a car has been really difficult. We booked online; and still there was nothing available at the enterprise office. And then we called up 3 enterprise offices here in winnipeg......stayed on their wait list for 2 days; and finally got a car yesterday EOD.
Our hosts mention that, in this weather roads become slippery; & number of accidents increase. Thus few people resort to renting a car rather than taking their own out.

also, this time around .. its been quite a bit colder than last year; and we found out that our nice pair of Nike shoes were a total dudd in this snow & cold. Our B&B hosts have been very nice to offer a spare pair of boots to me; till we bought our own new pair yesterday.

Now we are going off to buy a new Coat to counter this cold; and also house hunting now.

Before we leave, I would like to share my experiences with you all:

Landing Experience at Toronto YYZ
The landing at Toronto was super duper smooth than expected.

During our flight travel plan, we had kept 5 hours halt at Toronto YYZ for the "landing" & follow on flight. Not that it was needed, but it did help in a big way because our flight to Toronto had a stop-over at Brussels airport (Belgium); and while the flight was about to take off, snow started to come down harder... delaying take off from Brussels by almost one & half hour.

The entire time we spend during our "landing" at YYZ must have been like 1.5 hours, out of which 1.15 hour was the waiting time in queues.

Before we left our home in Delhi, we have prepared all the lists for Goods Accompanying, Goods To Follow, Evaluation + Photographs of Jewellery at hand, Proof of Funds (photo copies of latest bank statements), photocopies of CAN$ bank drafts, etc etc.

At the Toronto, after the plane landed, we were asked to pass through the usual immigration queue (which is there for everyone). We told the immigration officer that we were here for our "Landing" with our PR. We took a glance at our COPR, asked us a few basic questions like what profession are we into, and have to got a job already in Canada. After that, he just mentioned some code on our immigration landing card; and asked us to go into another immigration cabin.

In that cabin, we had a wait for about 20-25 minutes standing in the queue. This wait was after there were about 10 immigration officers at the counter.

Once we reached an Immigration officer, he just asked us our COPR, passports & immigration visa. Then he asked us a few basic questions that which city are we choosing to stay in Canada (Winnipeg), do we have a onward flight to Winnipeg (Yes), if yes when (after 3 hours), do we have an address in Winnipeg yet (Yes, and we gave him the address); and thats it. He then took 5 minutes to complete our landing information at the COPR; asked us to sign at the bottom of COPR.... and welcomed us in Canada with a lovely smile :)

Thereafter. there was a lady sitting at an open table to welcome new Canadians. She and her buddy gave us a bag with whole lot of information to help settle in Canada.

Once done from the immigration section, we went to the conveyor belts, took our luggage, exited the luggage area; and told the officer there that we are new Canadians. He greeted us with a smile "Welcome to Canada" ; and asked us to go to another cabin for baggage screening. There were about 6 officers screening the baggages physically for people; and the queue was pretty long. I guess we must have waited for about 40-45 minutes in that queue. At our turn, when we reached the officer assigned, she was quite very helpful. She took a look at our COPR, & asked us if we have brought sufficient funds to settle in Canada. We showed her a photocopy of our Bank Drafts. Then she asked us if we have any Goods to follow later. We were happy to her our printouts of "Goods Accompanying" & "Goods to Follow". She was very excited looking at the lists and said... "wow you have already prepared all the lists.. excellent"

[Thanks to BritishExpats Wiki on Goods Accompanying & Goods to Follow list]

She then filled up some forms for Goods To Follow, and for the funds proofs; and asked us to sign on the forms; returned us one copy of "Goods to Follow"; and mentioned that "Goods Accompanying" list is not needed as they expect us to bring some initial stuff with us.

That's all.... 10 minutes and we were all cleared and warmly greeted as Happy Canadians :)

Flight to Winnipeg : YYZ to YWG
After our landing, we checked in on our Air Canada flight to Winnipeg. And what a journey it was.

Flight took off on time; and while flying somewhere between Thunder Bay & Winnipeg, flight was diverted back to Thunder Bay for refueling, apparently on the cause that ... there were some heavy winds in Winnipeg which are prohibiting any landing immediately; and flight didnt had enough fuel to wait flying around in the sky.

Having waited almost 1.25 hours at Thunder Bay, flight then took off for Winnipeg. While the flight was just about to to touch down on Winnipeg airport runway, the pilot just took off again, gaining altitude. The runway was apparently not cleared for touch down. Then the flight was redirected to Regina, SK. Reaching Regina at almost 11:30 PM (scheduled arrival in Winnipeg was 7:30 PM)..... the Air Canada distributed us taxi & hotel vouchers at 2 AM .... :( WOW

By the time we reached hotel it was 2:30 AM and we were dead tired due to 3 hours at Delhi Airport, 18 hours of Delhi-Toronto, 4 hours at Toronto Airport, 5 hours of that flight and 2.5 hours wait at Regina Airport.

Air Canada had planned departure of flight onwards to Winnipeg at 9:50 AM following morning; so we had to hurry up for the flight. But due to excessive snow on that aircraft accumulated over night, flight could take off only at 11:50 AM; landing Winnipeg at 1:00 PM.
We all the passengers in that flight clapped with full enthusiasm when flight touched down at the YWG runway :rofl:

This must have been the lonnnngest journey; and what a journey it was.
We ended up sleeping through entire of Wednesday & half of Thursday.

Hope that no other new Canadian endures such a gruelling experience at the first flight.

Congratulations! You finally made it!
I have questions about Goods to Follow. I have some luggages in my friends' garage in the U.S.. I'm planning to land first and after I have settled I will go to my friends' places and maybe drive my luggage back to Winnipeg. Will there be some problems if I don't include those stuff in my Goods to Follow?

manitobain Jan 21st 2013 2:20 am

Originally Posted by HappiTropi (Post 10495556)
Random question:

Do you think I could be at a disadvantage because I am Jamaican?

No you won't . It's not about were you from but what you are :)

Former Lancastrian Jan 21st 2013 3:26 am

Originally Posted by New_Start (Post 10495639)
Congratulations! You finally made it!
I have questions about Goods to Follow. I have some luggages in my friends' garage in the U.S.. I'm planning to land first and after I have settled I will go to my friends' places and maybe drive my luggage back to Winnipeg. Will there be some problems if I don't include those stuff in my Goods to Follow?

If you know what the goods are before you land then include them on the list of goods to follow. Bringing in any goods not declared or on a list of goods to follow can cause headaches. My advice is put them on the list.

dwight-van-man Jan 21st 2013 2:55 pm

Dont know if this is of any help to anyone, but I sent my email off expressing interest in a visit last night and got a reply back with the questionnaire today (1520 UK time). Maybe this is normal, but it seemed quite a quick reply!

Conmar Jan 21st 2013 4:09 pm

And here we go again...:)

Just wanted to let you know that I have just received an e-mail from Sidney
reading as follows:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada under the Provincial Nominee Program.
Upon review of the information you have provided, your application is considered complete based upon the requirements of the Instructions and Regulation 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).
Your application will be forwarded to a visa office for further processing.

Phew, another step taken.:):thumbsup:. Now waiting for good news from Danny and Travel:fingerscrossed:;), and all the others too. Violets, news on your behalf?