British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Manitoba - Strategic Initiative (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/manitoba-strategic-initiative-702457/)

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 11:20 am

Re: Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

Originally Posted by clarisom (Post 10479918)
manitobian is it at the discretion of MPNP to decide when one undertakes the EV or can one suggest in the questionnaire when they are comfortable to visit? was just wondering since am employed and would need to plan in advance as well as inform my employer if need be.

at the moment i dont have IELTS scores though i did TOEFL in 2009 and scored 91 was wondering if these scores can also be used..thank you in advance and be blessed

It is up to you to decide in which timeframe you want to travel, they try very hard to accommodate you. You need to leave them of course a bit of a window, so they can fit you into the schedule.
If you have a particular reason for only being able to travel at a certain point of the year, make sure you mention it and I am sure they will consider it. Make sure to give yourself enough time to inform the employer, when suggesting a time.
I was under the impression, they wanted your timeline in your subject line, bit unsure as for now..but I'd say it can't hurt to put it there.

IELTS is strongly suggested in the strategic stream (especially for ppl from countries where English is not first language), but as of yet it is not mandatory as you will sit an interview, which is a very good time for the officer to assess your English, wouldn't you think? :) When the questionaire comes and with it the question for the IELTS, I would send in the TOEFL test and explain where you gained your English knowledge and offer to do as well an IELTS if need be. Generally it will come in handy when it comes to job search.

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by clarisom (Post 10479983)
and again a point of clarification we are sending the EOI letter to this email adress [email protected]?

thank you

yes, that is the right email

:) hope I caught every question asked..it sure got busy all of a sudden.

Keeping fingers crossed for all of you. Just keep in mind, EV is a privilege, once you get an invitation, you better work hard to make it work for you :)

clarisom Jan 13th 2013 11:32 am

:)thank you for your timely response. we hope to join you there soonest:D

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by clarisom (Post 10480266)
:)thank you for your timely response. we hope to join you there soonest:D

looking forward to it :)

AVACON Jan 13th 2013 1:03 pm

manitobain

Thanks for helping all these people out with their questions, your efforts on this thread is greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

WannabeMonitobian Jan 13th 2013 1:43 pm

I put the date I sent the email....but could you please confirm...do I have to resend my email??

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by WannabeMonitobian (Post 10480384)
I put the date I sent the email....but could you please confirm...do I have to resend my email??

I don't know more than you know at this moment and only have a chance probably on Tuesday to check. Did you mention when you hope to travel within the email?

Myzeina Jan 13th 2013 2:09 pm

after spending that much effort . what is the possiability of accepting and refusing any application ?

are they appreciating your effort,time and money you spend to visit them just to conduct the interview?
Out of 10 interviews , how many applicants on average they are accepting

Thanks

Conmar Jan 13th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Myzeina (Post 10480416)
after spending that much effort . what is the possiability of accepting and refusing any application ?

are they appreciating your effort,time and money you spend to visit them just to conduct the interview?
Out of 10 interviews , how many applicants on average they are accepting

Thanks

Hi Myzeina,

for sure they do appreciate your effort, time and money you spent, but that does not buy you the ticket.;)
I do not have a reliable statistic or other data, but personally I remember only two rejections last year (in once case the applicant was indeed invited to an EV, but did not get a visa; don't know how that story continued).

If 10 out out 10 manage to convince the officers in the interview, they will for sure invite all of them, as long as no cap is reached.
BUT: if next time nobody manages to convince them, nobody will be invited.
I think you cannot generalize here, it simply depends on each applicant and his or her individual situation.

No offence meant, but as Manitobain said before, prepare yourself as good as possible, do your homework (just imagine you are applying for the job of your dreams, and you are just a heartbeat away;) ) and do not think it is a mere formality. Take it serious, but don't be scared.:thumbup:

jamaicaboy Jan 13th 2013 3:56 pm

Manitobain:

I have been working since I have been 15 so that is no big deal really and I currently work now.

Why Manitoba? For me, I like to be different. Everyone flees to Ontario or Vancouver or Montreal. I want to be different. Also, upon researching I am so excited about Manitoba. It has a booming financial sector and one of the largest in the country- which is my area of work. It is a clean province, It is culturally diverse, its AFFORDABLE to live. People that I have been in contact with are super friendly and I don't see myself anywhere else. I know it may sound cheesy and cliche but this is why an electronic medium of communicating to the MPNP cannot see how genuine I am.

Sure I have friends in other provinces but that doesn't mean I need to live near them. I am a super friendly person who can adapt anywhere and make new friends easily.

I understand that I can flee once I get it, but I honestly don't want to flee. I may explore different communities in Manitoba but if it aint broke why fix it. kinda thing. I am coming from Jamaica...which isnt' exactly a walk in the park to live in. So if I can get somewhere better than here. Anywhere. Ill be happy and be appreciative.

I totally understand what the program is about and I wouldn't have applied to cheat the system.

I really hope I see that questionnaire in my inbox monday morning!:confused:

PS I didn't think it would have been a problem so I didn't go into detail like I did here as to why I wouldn't flee =\

JB

WannabeMonitobian Jan 13th 2013 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10480411)
I don't know more than you know at this moment and only have a chance probably on Tuesday to check. Did you mention when you hope to travel within the email?

Manitobian,
Yes mentioned in the body of the email that we ould like to visit for 2 weeks in april with dates.....

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by WannabeMonitobian (Post 10480630)
Manitobian,
Yes mentioned in the body of the email that we ould like to visit for 2 weeks in april with dates.....

then I would leave it as it is for now, it is more hassle for them otherwise..and you don't want that ;)

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 4:43 pm

let's answer this within the quote :)

Originally Posted by jamaicaboy (Post 10480585)
Manitobain:

I have been working since I have been 15 so that is no big deal really and I currently work now. ok, sorted then :)

Why Manitoba? For me, I like to be different. Everyone flees to Ontario or Vancouver or Montreal. I want to be different. don't think this specific reason counts much.Also, upon researching I am so excited about Manitoba. It has a booming financial sector and one of the largest in the country- which is my area of work. this on the other hand is very important for them It is a clean province, It is culturally diverse, its AFFORDABLE to live. People that I have been in contact with are super friendly and I don't see myself anywhere else. all good arguments as well..lol..although I swear you will end up with a grumpy neighbor..there is always the one ;) I know it may sound cheesy and cliche but this is why an electronic medium of communicating to the MPNP cannot see how genuine I am. ..and that is why in the end the interview comes into place..but pre-selection criterias have to fit

Sure I have friends in other provinces but that doesn't mean I need to live near them. omit as good as possible or call them "ppl you know" or similar...the word "friends" raises red flags I am a super friendly person who can adapt anywhere and make new friends easily. again, think they will see this point at the interview

I understand that I can flee once I get it, but I honestly don't want to flee. I may explore different communities in Manitoba but if it aint broke why fix it. kinda thing. I am coming from Jamaica...which isnt' exactly a walk in the park to live in.but it's warmer..more like BC or South Ontario? So if I can get somewhere better than here. Anywhere.don's say it like that.. "anywhere" raises another bunch of red flags ;), Ill be happy and be appreciative.
[COLOR="red"]Is there a Jamaicain community/group in Wpg? if so, could be very positive to get in contact with them. I usually am not the person to suggest such things, as I believe it is important not to rely too much on this sort of support as I always think it believes rather to non-integration into MB, BUT it would look good to report connections made within MB latest at your visit[COLOR="red"]
I totally understand what the program is about and I wouldn't have applied to cheat the system.just need to convince them about it as fact is, there are such ppl out there

I really hope I see that questionnaire in my inbox monday morning!:confused: ufff, here is a thing to learn about MB: it's usually relaxed..which counts as well for offices, so you might want to extend your expectation to a week or so ;)

PS I didn't think it would have been a problem so I didn't go into detail like I did here as to why I wouldn't flee =\
that's ok, I bet it will be one of the questions you will need to answer ahead of time
JB

manitobain Jan 13th 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Conmar (Post 10480473)
Hi Myzeina,

for sure they do appreciate your effort, time and money you spent, but that does not buy you the ticket.;)
I do not have a reliable statistic or other data, but personally I remember only two rejections last year (in once case the applicant was indeed invited to an EV, but did not get a visa; don't know how that story continued).

If 10 out out 10 manage to convince the officers in the interview, they will for sure invite all of them, as long as no cap is reached.
BUT: if next time nobody manages to convince them, nobody will be invited.
I think you cannot generalize here, it simply depends on each applicant and his or her individual situation.

No offence meant, but as Manitobain said before, prepare yourself as good as possible, do your homework (just imagine you are applying for the job of your dreams, and you are just a heartbeat away;) ) and do not think it is a mere formality. Take it serious, but don't be scared.:thumbup:

very well said :) Don't see this visit as vacation but as hard work, as you need to meet ppl, research and familiarize yourself with cost of living, education system, recreational activities etc., figure out the transport system and its cost and whatever else you might need/want to access. They look very positive at a written "report" about your visit, a written comparision about cost of living/salary options ...so bring your laptop if you have.

Nobody forces you to go this option, nobody says you will be accepted...it's only a darn good chance to make things happen, if there is no other way, so really costs are not relevant.

I followed last year a bunch of ppl (haven't counted...15 to 25 I'd say) I know of 2 non-invitation after having sat through an interview and someone else had been invited but was not able to get the TRV (which I still think is not right, but it depends on the country they are from).

Dammy Jan 13th 2013 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10480679)
very well said :) Don't see this visit as vacation but as hard work, as you need to meet ppl, research and familiarize yourself with cost of living, education system, recreational activities etc., figure out the transport system and its cost and whatever else you might need/want to access. They look very positive at a written "report" about your visit, a written comparision about cost of living/salary options ...so bring your laptop if you have.

Nobody forces you to go this option, nobody says you will be accepted...it's only a darn good chance to make things happen, if there is no other way, so really costs are not relevant.

I followed last year a bunch of ppl (haven't counted...15 to 25 I'd say) I know of 2 non-invitation after having sat through an interview and someone else had been invited but was not able to get the TRV (which I still think is not right, but it depends on the country they are from).

Woooow so many activities have gone in here this weekend. Nice to see new members joining the forum and interesting to also know that there is a new process as enumerated by AVACON. Just want to advise that you all need to get it right at the first shot as you may never get a second chance.

@Manitobain what is the fate of those that had applied last year who were awaiting confirmation of when to proceed for the EV people like Gustepk and a couple of others.