At a loss!!

Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:44 am
Just Joined

JohnNkent is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile At a loss!!

Hello...
I've been thinking for the last 4 months of moving to Canada and now that its the New Year i have decided to take the plunge. I would like to go under PR status, however being 34 and single i'm pretty flexible. I'd also like to get there (Alberta) as soon as possible. What are my best options and should i use an immigration lawyer or save my money? I work in a custodial environment and feel pretty confident of finding employment once i am there or perhaps before i have landed!? Would appreciate any advice that comes my way
John
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:49 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: At a loss!!

Originally Posted by JohnNkent
Hello...
I've been thinking for the last 4 months of moving to Canada and now that its the New Year i have decided to take the plunge. I would like to go under PR status, however being 34 and single i'm pretty flexible. I'd also like to get there (Alberta) as soon as possible. What are my best options and should i use an immigration lawyer or save my money? I work in a custodial environment and feel pretty confident of finding employment once i am there or perhaps before i have landed!? Would appreciate any advice that comes my way
John
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Have a trawl round the Wiki....

Particularly.....

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Canada_quickly

Have a search of this forum for the debate on using consultants as it is discussed a lot and by looking at the various posts, you'll be able to form your own opinion from the vast amount of info, eg...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=consultants

Last edited by Beebop; Jan 6th 2008 at 5:53 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At a loss!!

Originally Posted by JohnNkent
Hello...
John
I'm a bit of a newbie here myself but from what I understand from my research so far, if you want to go 'under PR status' as you have said, the processing time is about 5 years!! One of the quickest ways to do it is to secure a job offer whilst still in the UK and you can then apply for a temporary work permit (although your potential employer does have to prove that there is no Canadian citizen suitable for the job first before you can apply for that - although that's the case with any work visa I believe unless you are in a career that is very high in demand). I believe that this is usually processed in about a month once you have submitted an application. That's what my hubby is currently doing so we're hoping to be out there later this year. We're not using an immigration lawyer as it all seems fairly straightforward but that's our personal choice.

Best of luck and welcome! Everybody on here has been fantastically helpful and I'm sure they will help you lots too.