PNP Issue

Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ice Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the rough
Default PNP Issue

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone could definitively answer a couple of questions on the Provincial Nomination program. I am currently in Nova Scotia on a work permit, but I did my medical for permanent residence last week and should have that sorted within a month or so. I applied through the Nova Scotia PNP. I heard through the grapevine at my work that there could be layoffs in the next few weeks because things are not going well.
First question:
If I was to get laid off before my I get my PR status, where would that leave me? If I just waited in Canada for it all to go through without working during that time, would I be okay?
Second question:
If I do get PR status but lose my job, would I be able to move onto another province if there were better opportunities there. Or would that get me in trouble with the NS PNP people?
As I say, this is hypothetical right now, but I want to have my bases covered in case the worst does happen.
Thanks so much.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:33 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP Issue

Originally Posted by Ice Man
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone could definitively answer a couple of questions on the Provincial Nomination program. I am currently in Nova Scotia on a work permit, but I did my medical for permanent residence last week and should have that sorted within a month or so. I applied through the Nova Scotia PNP. I heard through the grapevine at my work that there could be layoffs in the next few weeks because things are not going well.
First question:
If I was to get laid off before my I get my PR status, where would that leave me? If I just waited in Canada for it all to go through without working during that time, would I be okay?
Second question:
If I do get PR status but lose my job, would I be able to move onto another province if there were better opportunities there. Or would that get me in trouble with the NS PNP people?
As I say, this is hypothetical right now, but I want to have my bases covered in case the worst does happen.
Thanks so much.
welcome to the forum!

disclaimer: i can't prove my answers - so please check with nsnp to have a definite answer...

first scenario: you would be allowed to stay as long as your wp is valid - but you can't work for another employer under this wp if it says so on it. if you find another job you have to get another wp.
assuming that you are on the skilled worker stream (and that works similar to the one here in bc) you would be in a grey zone about your nomination since that loses the thing it is based on: that specific job. you might get through with saying nothing, although in the very very very worst case you might face a misrepresentation charge and with that risk a two years ban from cic... if you tell nsnp you risk to have to start from scratch with another sponsor.
on the other hand: they are human - and i've heard only good things about nsnp. why not asking them now what would happen when - since it is only hypothetical you're not lying and risking nothing, right? ...

second scenario: the provincial programs are meant for people who are commited to stay in that particular province. but afaik there is no legal obligation to stay there once you are pr. (several provinces used to have clauses in their application kits with which you agreed that you would stay there for a certain amount of time - i don't know how they enforced that though - and if these stuff is still around? most provinces did reorganise their nominee programs in the last two years...)
i would at least do my best to appreciate the provinces effort and concentrate your job search in the province. and only move away if you really don't find something in a reasonable amount of time.

sorry for not being of more help. but let's hope, that your worries are unnecessary. good luck!

btw would you mind to come back and let us know how things turned out? it might be helpful for other people in similar situations.

Last edited by lof; Jan 4th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Ice Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the roughIce Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: PNP Issue

Thanks for the info lof. I will certainly come back and let you know how it went. Anyone else have an opinion on this?