Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking for work while on a visit visa

Looking for work while on a visit visa

Old May 12th 2022, 10:40 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for work while on a visit visa

Hi All,
For those that require visa to enter Canada, are allowed to look for work while on visit visa. Is there any IIRC rules that forbids one from applying for jobs or speaking with employers.
If for example, you get an employer that is willing to sponsor you for LMIA, can you apply for a work visa whilst still in Canada. Or do you have leave Canada to apply for work permit.
Instantpot is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 1:04 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,255
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work while on a visit visa

Originally Posted by Instantpot View Post
Hi All,
For those that require visa to enter Canada, are allowed to look for work while on visit visa. Is there any IIRC rules that forbids one from applying for jobs or speaking with employers.
If for example, you get an employer that is willing to sponsor you for LMIA, can you apply for a work visa whilst still in Canada. Or do you have leave Canada to apply for work permit.
No problem at all to look for working whilst there as a visitor. You can apply for a work permit from Canada, but the LMIA will usually take around 3-4 months, so that would be a lot of time to be hanging around waiting for it! So most people go, job hunt for a week or two, then return to their home country to wait whilst the LMIA is processed.

Hope that helps.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 1:23 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work while on a visit visa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
No problem at all to look for working whilst there as a visitor. You can apply for a work permit from Canada, but the LMIA will usually take around 3-4 months, so that would be a lot of time to be hanging around waiting for it! So most people go, job hunt for a week or two, then return to their home country to wait whilst the LMIA is processed.

Hope that helps.
The person I am asking on behalf is not British. They are from a country where you need visa to enter Canada. I assume looking for a job in Canada will not break the rule.
Instantpot is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 1:48 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,599
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work while on a visit visa

Originally Posted by Instantpot View Post
The person I am asking on behalf is not British. They are from a country where you need visa to enter Canada. I assume looking for a job in Canada will not break the rule.
Even if not visa exempt they won't be breaking the rules however they need to satisfy CBSA on arrival that they won't be working and will leave Canada at the end of their visit.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 2:01 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work while on a visit visa

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Even if not visa exempt they won't be breaking the rules however they need to satisfy CBSA on arrival that they won't be working and will leave Canada at the end of their visit.
thank you.
Instantpot is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.