Daughters Study Permit

Old May 12th 2022, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

CB23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daughters Study Permit

My husband and I are in Canada on work permits (mine open, husbands closed) Our 18yr old is on a study permit and finishes grade 12 next month. As she doesn’t wish to continue studies in college (she has other plans) will she now be able to work full time or will the same restrictions to working while on a study permit apply? I know she can work a certain amount of hours already but wondered if this can increase now she isn’t at school?
Thanks in advance….
Old May 12th 2022, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughters Study Permit

Originally Posted by CB23
My husband and I are in Canada on work permits (mine open, husbands closed) Our 18yr old is on a study permit and finishes grade 12 next month. As she doesn’t wish to continue studies in college (she has other plans) will she now be able to work full time or will the same restrictions to working while on a study permit apply? I know she can work a certain amount of hours already but wondered if this can increase now she isn’t at school?
Thanks in advance….
Unfortunately, once the study permit runs out and she has switched to visitor status, she can’t work at all.

Have you applied for PR? Once she has that she can work.

HTH.
Old May 12th 2022, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

So her study permit doesn’t run for the 2 years that we have the work permits? Her study permit works separately?
You really helped me a few weeks ago with advice on PR, we do qualify but are waiting for my husbands renewed passport from the Uk before we can start (we’ve been assured that it’s on its way but I won’t be holding my breath!)
Thanks again!
Old May 12th 2022, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

So her study permit doesn’t run for the 2 years that we have the work permits? Her study permit works separately?
You really helped me a few weeks ago with advice on PR, we do qualify but are waiting for my husbands renewed passport from the Uk before we can start (we’ve been assured that it’s on its way but I won’t be holding my breath!)
Thanks again!
Her study permit should have an expiry date on it, on the top right. You need to check when that is as she must switch to visitor status, otherwise she’d be in Canada illegally! It will usually be shortly after her course of study is due to finish.

BTW, you shouldn’t need your husband’s passport to apply for PR.
Old May 12th 2022, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. Just checking, but you’re absolutely sure she’s allowed to work now? It’s just unusual for a secondary school student.
Old May 12th 2022, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Ah yes! I’ve been looking at the wrong information, I assume what I’ve been reading applies to university students ect.
So we’ll need to apply for a visitor permit before the study permit runs out I’m assuming?
Thanks again for your help…
Old May 12th 2022, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, it’s post-secondary students that can work part-time. Has she been working at all?

And yes, you’ll need to apply - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html
Old May 12th 2022, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Yep, read the wrong info! 🫣
No, she hasn’t been working, she’s been too busy with school anyway. That’s fine, at least I know now, hopefully PR won’t take too long 🤞🏻
Again, thanks so much!
Old May 12th 2022, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, read the wrong info! 🫣
No, she hasn’t been working, she’s been too busy with school anyway. That’s fine, at least I know now, hopefully PR won’t take too long 🤞🏻
Again, thanks so much!
Phew! She’ll just have to chill out and wait until she can work, if she gets bored then she can do volunteer work though.

How are you applying for PR?
Old May 15th 2022, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

She could try her luck applying for an IEC Work Permit.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=gb&cat=wh&#country_categor y_name_cont

The chances seem quite good at the moment.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/selections.asp?country=gb&cat=wh

Last edited by Snowy560; May 15th 2022 at 9:36 pm.
Old May 15th 2022, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Phew! She’ll just have to chill out and wait until she can work, if she gets bored then she can do volunteer work though.

How are you applying for PR?
Sorry, I thought I’d replied! It’s the FST I believe.
We have started the first part but it’s asking for my husbands passport details so will have to wait until the end of the week (when it’s supposed to be delivered) then submit it.
Old May 15th 2022, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
She could try her luck applying for an IEC Work Permit.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/i...gory_name_cont

The chances seem quite good at the moment.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/i...ntry=gb&cat=wh
Thank you! I’ll have a look, I hadn’t thought of that!
Old May 16th 2022, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, I thought I’d replied! It’s the FST I believe.
We have started the first part but it’s asking for my husbands passport details so will have to wait until the end of the week (when it’s supposed to be delivered) then submit it.
Ah fab, they're supposedly starting draws again in July, so fingers crossed you get an invite quite soon.

I concur with the IEC suggestion above btw, thought all the visas for this year had gone but seems they've just added 3000 to the quota! So would be worth both your kids doing that I think.

Good luck.